Enter The Matrix is a pain in the @$$

vbimport

I seem to be having difficulty making a reliable backup of Enter The Matrix (US Version).

Here’s my setup:

• Lite-On 40125S with firmware ZS0K
  • CloneCD 4.2.0.2 (all images ripped & burned using default Game Profile)
  • TwinPeak 0.2

I thought I had made a good 1:1 backup with the above setup, following philamber’s SecuROM 4.8x guide, but it seems the copy I made will only install and run on the computer I made and burned the image on. When I try to install it on my laptop, before the installation even starts I get, “Setup has experienced an error. Close all running programs…blah blah…Error code: -5001”. I tried installing with my original CD’s, and I do not get this error, so I’m assuming my backups are essentially coasters, and will not install on a different system.

Before I burned my backups, I used TwinPeak to patch ALL 4 CD’s (using the Enter The Matrix BWA file from this site, from a link I found through philamber’s SecuROM 4.8x guide), and I also slowed down the burn speed to 4x (the images I did not patch I burned at 6x). I found that if I did not patch the 3 installation CD’s, I would get an error in the middle of installation saying “the wrong volume was in the drive, Insert MATRIX_INST1”.

I searched the forums, but could not really find any clear information on problems like this. Is there something I’m doing wrong? Should I try using different CCD profiles to rip & burn? Should I maybe NOT patch the 3 install CD’s? Any ideas? :confused:

you said you donwload the bwa file. I would suggest that you make the bwa files for each individual cd. I reccomend this as someone who doesn’t know if all cds are protected or not. So you might try that.

If that doesn’t work, i would try changing the sector stepping size. I don’t remember the ones that seem to work, but i believe the guide you mentioned says.

Finally, if that doesn’t help you, it is possible that your laptops cd drive is just not compatible. For example, in my system, neither my toshiba dvd/cd-rw drive or yamaha cdrw will work when running backups of securom 4.8.xx. Only my liteon 52x cd-rw. The cds youve burned that you believe ot be coasters, have you only tried them in your laptop and main system? I would try them in as many systems as possible before pitching them. Hope that will help you to accomplish a working backup.

One more thing, when making your bwa files, different drives have a better ability to make them. My liteon made a horrible bwa file for vice city. But my toshiba dvd/cd-rw made a perfect one. You want to try to have a nice smooth curve, if there is only one or two spikes it will probably still be usable, but any more than that and your chances of the backup working are slimmer. And when making the bwa, for me, the first 50,000 sectors were all that were needed and that is also reccomended by blackcheck, the author of twinpeaks.

I burned Enter The Matrix with Blindwrite 4.2.5, worked like a charm.

Originally posted by BadReligionPR
I burned Enter The Matrix with Blindwrite 4.2.5, worked like a charm.

yes but then it won’t run on a computer without blindwrite installed if i am not mistaken. Thats why i prefer the clonecd +twinpeaks method, even if it is a little more work.

Originally posted by kwkard
[B]

yes but then it won’t run on a computer without blindwrite installed if i am not mistaken. Thats why i prefer the clonecd +twinpeaks method, even if it is a little more work. [/B]

Nope works fine on two other computers, never had Blindwrite installed on them. One from a Sony DVD-ROM and the other an LG CD-ROM (Dell).

Originally posted by kwkard
[B]

yes but then it won’t run on a computer without blindwrite installed if i am not mistaken. Thats why i prefer the clonecd +twinpeaks method, even if it is a little more work. [/B]

That’s only with later versions of Blindwrite. 4.2.5 still uses its own version of the twinpeaks method.

Oh i understand now. Not a big follwer of the blindewrite software. I didn’t realise that specific version coold be used withou emulation. Glad to know, thanks for the info.

I don’t use blindwrie myself, more of an Alcohol fan.

Okay, so I made my own BWA files for Discs 1-3, and they all now seem to install just fine on my laptop. However, once I get to the Play Disc (which I made with the BWA file I downloaded), I get a CRC error and installation halts. I cannot seem to make a BWA file for the Play Disc on either optical drive in my desktop (one is the LTR 40125S, the other is an NEC DVD+RW). I’ve tried reading the first 50,000 sectors of the CD at 4x and 8x on both drives, but it fails saying “too many consecutive errors occured”. What should I do?

Concerning BlindWrite & Alcohol: I thought backups made with either of these programs used emulation, which sounds like a more unreliable method than the twinpeak/CloneCD method according to philamber’s guide. Am I wasting my time struggling with this method? Should I just try one of these other programs, or would I in fact be better off overall going with the twinpeak/CloneCD method?

Hmm, could you get a friend to make a bwa file for you???

I found this thread, but it confirms that bwa file is for the english version. That is what you have isn’t it??:confused:

Ive been considering buying the game. If i do end up getting it, i will make a bwa file for you if you don’t find a suitible one before that.

But i would definatly try someone elses system and their drives and see if that works for you.

Try making an MDS file with Alcohol and convert it to BWA using the BWA builder.

I tried making a BWA on 3 additional drives (a friend’s Creative 6X DVD-ROM & Imation 12x10x32, and my laptop’s LG DVD/CD-RW drive), all to no avail. I already tried the BWA file from the aforementioned web site (yes, I have the US/English version), but get a CRC error when installation reaches the play disc. Anyone else been able to make a good BWA file, or know where I can get one?

See my above post. (About MDS->BWA)

I made and MDS with Alcohol 120% 1.4.3.518 (trial version), then converted it to a bwa with twinpeak, patched the Play Disc image I made with the CCD Game profile, and burned it again…but I still get the same CRC error once installation reaches the Play disc (I noticed that the curves on the MDS/BWA’s I made on either of my optical drives were very similar to the one I downloaded).

I’m almost ready to give up at this point. Should I just try burning the MDS image on Alcohol, or is that copy not going to run in most drives unless Alcohol is installed?

Can you install from the originals then play from the copy? If so there are two things you can do.

1. Install from the originals (how often do you really need to install).

2. Make a regular backup of the CDs, label them as install discs and use those to install and the twinpeaked copies to play.