Ensuing Project ~ Best Current CD Reader

vbimport

I have a large number of archive transfer CDs on the way. (Over 6,000) I currently have a few Optiarc 7240S’s which are pretty good readers just based on my own experience. Some of these disks are going belly up which is why I’ve offered to attempt to recover them all and get them onto new media as well as into different formats.

So, here’s the question. In the ever-present sea of new writers, who’s writers are currently regarded as being very decent CD readers? I’m also interested to know who’s writers do best writing CD media, but that’s secondary as the recovery of the already written media at this juncture. I’d just as soon use writers, but will consider read-only drives as well. I’d like to add a couple other brands and/or models to the Opti’s I already have to increase the possibility of recovering disks that are showing C2 errors.

I currently don’t own a tape backup, but that aside, these recovered files will be written to both CD-R as CD-A files and as WAV files to DVD and HDD. I have a few thousand TY CD-R’s on the shelf right now, but will eventually be making the move to Falcon Pro and perhaps some Falcon Century for archival backups. The Century media is very expensive, but then again, so is my time. Pawing over thousands of disks doing quality scans even semi-annually is not an option. I need to know I’m writing decent disks on decent media the first time out.

So, just for the sake of clarity, the first and most important question here is, beyond the 7240Ss I already own, what other writers can I add that may recover disks that are giving C2 errors on the 7240S?

Thanks,

-JD

Hi,

for CD reading, I am quite happy with my Renesas based (Panasonic based drive exist also) LG drives. Unfortunately, these are somewhat older, and I have no idea about the performance of the latest versions.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2575732]Hi,

for CD reading, I am quite happy with my Renesas based (Panasonic based drive exist also) LG drives. Unfortunately, these are somewhat older, and I have no idea about the performance of the latest versions.

Michael[/QUOTE]

{beg} Model numbers? :slight_smile: I’d just as soon have easy to find current drives as to start trying to flesh out NOS deals, but often that’s just what has to be done. Not many have a primary focus on CD-R handling these days, so it’s often months after a new drives release until one can find much info about it’s CD-R capabilities. Anyhow, thanks for the reply Michael.

-JD

I tend to use my Samsung drives for both CD and DVD ripping/reading duties.

The models I use are the SH-S203N, SH-S223F, and Dell-branded TS-H653F (same as the 223F but with Dell firmware)…before that, my Sammy SH-182Ds took on ripping duties, along with a LiteOn LH-20A1H.

All of the above seem to do well with scratched or not-very-well-kept discs. I’m not sure about the very latest model Sammies, no experience with them. Might want to look around the forum for model names and people’s experiences. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Joe_Dirt;2575735]{beg} Model numbers? :slight_smile: I’d just as soon have easy to find current drives[/QUOTE]Hm. As already said, my drives are somewhat older. No idea about the performance of newer drives. My favourites are GSA-4163 and GE20NU10, and there is also a NEC AD-7200A (and a bunch of other drives in case these don’t help).

Michael

Hi Arachne. Thanks for the reply. I may look for a couple new old stock drives . Perhaps a Sammy will be among them. The 7240S’s are very good, but I don’t know how many mixed MIDs I’ll get, and having a few drives may be very helpful. I have a Lian Li case with 5 5 /14 bays, so I can run a few internals and be able to switch drives should EAC fail to rip a disk. For the sake of simplicity, I’d sure love to just grab a few more new drives that are current, but as I stated above, until they’ve been out a little while, it’s awful hard to find any info about CD-R ripping performance. On the other hand, if I’m adding three or four different models, I may just take a blind stab. More than likely at least 1 should turn out to be a decent ripper. I may even pull one of my old ND-3500’s off the shelf, clean up the optics, and put it in and see how it does. I’m pretty sure I have an opened PATA channel to work with.

From your reply, the Sammies sound very promising though. I’ll definitely look into getting at least one of the above mentioned model numbers. Is there one that you’d recommend over the others though?

@Michael - I’ll definitely be looking into the GSA-4163 and GE20NU10 too. I get the sense, from the wording you used, that you actually prefer these two over the 7200. Please correct me if I’m wrong. If the 7200A is on par with the others it gives me another option.

I may well pick up some external enclosures for the drives as I’d sure like to load this machine up with 7240S’s so i can burn multiple copies of the same disk on occasion where I only need 4 or 5 rather than have to fire up the duplicator. They really write TY and Falcon Pro CD-R very well.

I’m off to try and shop some of these drives. Thanks for your help. I’ll be keeping my eyes peeled for additional replies. I haven’t hear from Drage, Kerry or Big Mike yet. :slight_smile:

-JD

Grabbing several different models is definitely a great idea - then you have drives that’ll cover any weaknesses in another - one may burn or read CDRs better, one may do better reading or burning DVD Rs etc. :iagree:

I have mainly Sammies in both my beasts, but I also have an Optiarc and an LG installed “just in case” :wink:

As far as the Sammies go - probably the one you’re most likely to find these days would be the 223x/243x - I think the others maybe a bit hard to find now. But if you do have a spare PATA channel, an SH-S182D would be an awesome find.

Sidenote: if you ever manage to get hold of an LG 4163 as Michael suggested, cherish it. My favourite drive ever. :wink:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2576054]Grabbing several different models is definitely a great idea - then you have drives that’ll cover any weaknesses in another - one may burn or read CDRs better, one may do better reading or burning DVD Rs etc. :iagree:[/QUOTE]

How very true. My actual strategy is even a little more specialized than this though. I deal pretty well exclusively with CD-R media with CD-A files. My tack is, one drive that may be weak reading CMC disks may do very well with Ritek. Or, perhaps a drive may do particularly well with long strategy dyes and another drive may really excel at reading short strategy dyes.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2576054]I have mainly Sammies in both my beasts, but I also have an Optiarc and an LG installed “just in case” :wink:

As far as the Sammies go - probably the one you’re most likely to find these days would be the 223x/243x - I think the others maybe a bit hard to find now. But if you do have a spare PATA channel, an SH-S182D would be an awesome find.

Sidenote: if you ever manage to get hold of an LG 4163 as Michael suggested, cherish it. My favourite drive ever. ;)[/QUOTE]

I’ve found the SH-S203N fairly reasonably priced, and am thinking pretty seriously about making this drive one of my choices. The rest are pretty dicey as far as finding them at anything close to a reasonable price. I’m thinking with the stellar performance of my many 7240S’s, I may well just add the SH-S203N, then slow-play and add a couple two or three other current drives kind of doing a little crap-shoot as I suggested earlier. There’s a good chance that at least one will become a go-to drive.

Newegg has some interesting deals right now. A Samsung SH-S223L for $19 shipped, the HP 1260i for $20 shipped, and the Asus DRW-24B1ST for $18 shipped. It’s hard for ME to find good review information on drives, because DVD performance in any flavor is of practicly NO INTEREST to me. :wink: I deal with thousands of CD’s a month, and very rarely does a DVD come across my desk unless it’s of a personal nature, which plain and simple equates to, “not extremely important.”

Anyhow, I think I definitely should jump on that Samsung SH-S203N. Ahhhhh and I just did. $26.25 shipped. So this time next week I should have this one to try should something fail in the Optis. I should start getting media very soon. I’m thinking maybe Monday. I’m interested to see what media type or types I’ll find.

Anyhow, thank you both again for the help.

-JD

I hear ya :iagree:

Glad you managed to find a 203N though, they’re difficult to find here now, unless there’s one going on Fleabay.

Does the 7240S have an NEC chipset? I forget :o

If so, I’d pick that over a Sammy for CD burning…whereas I’d go the other way around for reading purposes. :slight_smile:

My opinions aside, let us know what other drives you end up with, and what you think of the Sammy. You have me interested. :smiley:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2576222]Does the 7240S have an NEC chipset? I forget :o[/QUOTE]Yes, ma’am, it does.

[QUOTE=Albert;2576246]Yes, ma’am, it does.[/QUOTE]

Hehe, cheers Albert :flower:

Ha, I was just going to look to make sure. Was pretty sure it did.

I’m doing some quality scans on the TY I’m writing in my VinPower Digital duplicator right now. It’s kind of depressing at 48X. Trying a run at 16X. This tower is loaded with 7 of the 7240S’s.

ANd now… we slow chat. lol

BTW, the SH-S203N was a fleabay purchase. The seller offers quite a few NOS drives though, so I’m pretty confident I’ll get a good one.

-JD

An update, for what it’s worth. I’d found a thread listing SATA add-on controllers that are SIL based chipsets and can be flashed for non-RAID function, and can’t find it again. lol

I’ll let you all know what I find and order. I’m looking to add 4 internal SATA I or II channels. I’m leaning toward SATA II as the price increase isn’t too bad. Rosewill and Syba seem to be the direction I’m looking toward. I only have 4 SATA channels on my motherboard. I run 2-3 SATA hard disks typically, with room for up to 10 hard disks and 5 external 5 1/4 bays. So I need the channels anyway.

If anyone has a heads up on a 4 (or more) channel controller on the cheap that works well with optical drives, please do chime in. Ok, back to my mad scientist research.

-JD

RE-Update

Ok, searching for SATA [U]CONTROLLER[/U] instead of SATA [U]CARD[/U] yielded much better results. Here is the thread I was looking for. It looks like the SYBA SY-PCI40010 4-port SATA II PCI Controller Card is my best option. A bit more expensive than the SATA I cards, but to have a card that’s more versatile in the long run is probably going to pay off. Unfortunately, this is cutting into my budget for new drives. Life’s like that. At least I’ll be able to get two or three of the 7240S’s in the same machine so I can write multiple copies of the same disk without having to fire up the duplicator. Or, given my desire to add a couple more of the VinPower 7 target duplicators in the not-too-distant future, I’ll be able to write three copies of the same disk at the same time after file processing, and get three master CD’s all at the same time to feed the duplicators. (I don’t want to daisy chain my duplicators.) I should then be able to produce something on the order of 300 live CD’s an hour. {Rock on!}

I know, it seems weird to talk about budget when buying $20 drives and $45 controllers, then talk about splashing out another $1,200 - $1,400 on duplicators. Well, again, life’s like that and I’m kinda strange. I need a few more Tascam CD-RW901SL’s at about $800 each too, so I’m trying to save money where I can.

Perhaps it’s a little weird to put this stuff in the newbie forum, and if someone wants to move it, I’m fine with that. As long as I remain a newb though, I remain teachable. :wink:

-JD (again)

[QUOTE=Joe_Dirt;2576048]…I haven’t heard from Drage, Kerry or Big Mike yet. :slight_smile:

-JD[/QUOTE]

Yo Johnny-

Been watchin’ - you are being well taken care of - my Optiarc 7200’s do a VERY good job on my CD recordings and would imagine that the 7240 would also-eh!!

Hey Mike! Yeah, the 7240’s are darned good writers, but leave a little to be desired as readers. I’ve got an Asas DRW-24B1ST and a Samgung SH-S203N on the way. We’ll see how those do. Good to see you.

-JD

Perhaps a little more on the thread’s original topic. I love the NEC/Opti 7240S’s, but Drive Speed doesn’t seem to work to speed op the CD-R read speed in EAC. Is there a better firmware for this? I’m running the 1.03 stock FW now. Thanks.

-JD

[QUOTE=Joe_Dirt;2576929]Perhaps a little more on the thread’s original topic. I love the NEC/Opti 7240S’s, but Drive Speed doesn’t seem to work to speed op the CD-R read speed in EAC. Is there a better firmware for this? I’m running the 1.03 stock FW now. Thanks.

-JD[/QUOTE]

Have you had a look at Liggy & Dee’s firmwares? Might be something there that’ll do what you need. :slight_smile:

/me waves to Mike :slight_smile:

Thanks Arachne. I actually got Liggy’s 1.04 bitsetting firmware and speed hacked it with Media Code Speed Edit. I didn’t change any write speeds, I just removed the riplock. I just ripped a disk with EAC and it seems to be working well on the house machine, so I’ll do the same with the drives in the DAW in the studio. Thank you again for the reply. You rock. :slight_smile:

I got my new controller and the Asus drive from the 'Egg yesterdays and got them installed, but I’ve not had any time to really play with them. As soon as honey wakes up I’ll get down there and see what’s what.

-JD

[QUOTE=Arachne;2576933]…/me waves to [B]Mike[/B] :)[/QUOTE]

Yo Lin-

/me waves back to you-eh!! :iagree: :smiley:

Off topic - but still relevant - do the Optiarc 7260s also use the NEC chipset?

(7260’s are much more prolific as of late)