Enough Wikileaks Stories already!

vbimport

This is really getting tired already. With all the hunger and death and disease going on in the world, and the relatively few responses on all these Wikileaks crap isn’t it time to give it a rest? Is that all the latest headlines are? Wiki this Wiki that. Give it a rest already. It all the same tripe rehashed over and over again. I think it is causing damage to this forum, or hasn’t anyone else noticed the single minded slant in this part of the forum?

How about North and South Korea ready to start a major war? How about Zimbabwe getting ready to commit virtual suicide? How about Sudan splitting and 2 and the horrible plight of the women who gt flogged at the whim of the male pigs? How about Iran getting ready to implode? It seems the powers to be have done their job very well, at least in this forum, no one is paying attention to anything except some people who download music or movies illegally, whoop dee dooo. Really shallow. I hope this is just an aberration. It seems that some Mods just love anything about football and can’t get into nothing any deeper, or tolerate it either. This forum is fast becoming irrelevant and boorish. Which is a shame, especially with some of the most intelligent and savvy people on the net here. Complacency is a disease. Why not create an atmosphere for people who are TRULY oppressed given a venue to express it without being afraid that they may ruffle the feathers of some who just want to drink their lattes and talk about sports. Just think how lively this forum was a couple of years a, Now it has turned into “What doodad have you purchased lately?, “Isn’t my pet cute?” I even read comments by Moderators how people should give up on trying to fix their hardware, stating the need to have “clean rooms” and offering theoretical advice and using emoticons in a facetious manner, in light of their obvious lack of experience, especially after I offer real world experience, post what tools can be used, and that I own. I try to start discussions on these types of issues but find the threads instantly “put down” by Mods who do not understand that before you throw something away, you should at least try to fix it. A soldering iron and a 10X eyepiece can fix a host or problems, probably 50% of electronics, motherboards, TV’s stereo (surround sound) receivers and a boatload of other electronic failures. But what do I know, I had an electronic repair shop for 10 years, fixed MacIntosh , Krell, Carver, etc amps., that means nothing. People would be surprised to find out that in an afternoon, with some minor woodworking tools, you can make 1/4 wave tubes for $150 dollars that will rival speakers costing 1000’s. I own electrostatic speakers that I made: 4, 2 x 3 foot panels that rival Martin Logans, of course, posting opinions like this will probably get my the " bowing down in praise used in a facetious manner emoticon” by some Mod or someone else who wishes to ride this forum into irrelevance. Some who reads this post thoroughly will understand I am not knocking it, I am worried about it.

Wiki-that.

I guess to follow up regarding this forum is that I feel it has become far too politically correct. A thread gets started, many times by staff, regarding a political subject and then when the discussion wanders the least bit off topic it gets shut down. If open discussions can’t take place then why start the threads? I feel like I am being baited into getting “sin binned” numerous times. It is sad because this forum has become a shadow of its former self. When I first found this site, open discussion was tolerated but personal attacks were not. This was a good balance, IMO. Now it seems like every poster has to wear blinders to participate.

This site has always been heavy on the off-topic posts and choking the life from a once popular forum doesn’t appear to be a good business model to me. IMO, their is nothing wrong with a thread wondering off the original topic as long as the discussion remains respectful. Some of the most entertaining threads I have read, and participated in, were these type of posts. As discussions about CD/DVD media becomes less relevant, it doesn’t make sense to depress participation in any forum. The site seems to be reducing down to a small click of people that promote monolithic thoughts and opinions that squeeze out people whose opinions differ from theirs. Maybe it is just me but there seems to be a definite double standard from the staff toward people that hold conservative viewpoints as compared to those that hold liberal viewpoints. I have seen much more tolerance from staff to the manner that liberal leaning posters respond than conservative ones.

In other news: Paris Hilton bought a new purse.

Hey, after I saw that Paris Hilton video, I gained a whole new respect for her. Then again she didn’t speak much, not that she could of anyways). I still have that video, I plane to re-post it somewhere when they think it is finally gone.

@UTR, I agree about the politically correct, but I don’t know if it a left or right issue I think it is a European/UK against the U.S.A , issue. If an American says it, it’s just an insular American. I lean far to the right when it comes to defending people’s freedom of expression (except the Assange idiot letting out ANY country’s secrets, he is a hypocrite who cannot even do an interview with the same openness he supposedly espouses, i.e. walking off Larry King). I happen to lean very very left when it comes to medical and health issues, but go right again when it comes to bring production back to the U.S…

I believe, IMO, that the European , U.K., and some other members from other former English colonies members, just believe Americans are stupid, selfish, unworldly and unsophisticated. The bashing that has taken place against the United States, which has seemed to have abated very recently, was tolerated for far too long. Similar comments made, i.e. about the U.K. drawing arbitrary lines in countries around the world and causing many of the world’s problems were called racist by Dee. That was an opinion which is backed by much fact. The U.S has a mountain of history that is nothing to be proud about either, but I don’t stick my hand in the sand about it. There are people in America with fascist tendencies, and others with communists tendencies, but to say the whole country is one or the other is ignorant. I have spent time in the U.K. and I really enjoyed it. I also was chased down a street in Manchester by a group of kids calling me a “dirty Packy” (my skin tone I guess). I was standing in front of a building that had all the glass blow out of it by an I.R.A. attack in 1974 in Manchester, England. I have also been called a “Spic” by people driving through Wesport, and Ridgefield, and Trumbull, Connecticut, U.S.A., driving my MG, while doing service calls (TV Repair). Racism is everywhere.

The problem in this forum is that certain Mods have been in their position too long. Some are American, some aren’t. I personally think Arachne is one of the most empathic and sensitive persons I have encountered on the web and it is because of her and a couple of others (Dee’s knowledge is simply astounding) that I remain. Some of the members here, of which whom I may disagree wholeheartedly on their opinions, are refreshing and a joy to engage with. They have opened my mind to other ways of thinking. I still may not agree with them but I can respect their opinions and them, for stating them. I find it difficult to accept a Mods posting facetious remarks, in this case, using emoticons to do it, and not having the balls to state their opinion, which should probably be stifled if you take of the position of a Mod. I am not talking about Political views either. I have a specific post I am talking about but will not link to it, though it would not be too hard to find. And yes, I took a laptop hard drive apart this weekend, lubricated the arm, froze the hard drive, and was able to get the contents off of it using a free cloning software thus preserving the XP License, in essence, getting a Laptop for nothing. I did not need a clean room either.

I belong to another forum that is international and one of the most civilized places on Earth. People talk about all manner of subjects. From one member, I have learned, from his statements, that China is not so closed off as I may have thought it was, but he also explained how and why and where the troubles lie, corruption, a universal problem. Just an opinion.

Zathros,

This is a forum, not a democracy. Please don’t fall for the assumption that people will or can get cured from all the wrongdoings they participate in.

I’ve been a mod for years around here and it will never get any better than it is now. The behaviour on the other forum you mentioned is more a rarity than a common good.

Just ignore the idiots. It relieves you from tons of stress.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2564316]Zathros,

This is a forum, not a democracy. Please don’t fall for the assumption that people will or can get cured from all the wrongdoings they participate in.

I’ve been a mod for years around here and it will never get any better than it is now. The behaviour on the other forum you mentioned is more a rarity than a common good.

Just ignore the idiots. It relieves you from tons of stress.[/QUOTE]

It’s a forum with a set of rules that are not applied equally. I personally have never experienced a real democracy, if you know what I mean. You are most definitely not one of the “idiots” or even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence or post as them, though I do not like to pass that kind of judgment on anyone .

I am also not so naive to have the perception you stated. As far as “curing” people of anything, I find that comment irrelevant. I also do not stress over it, I voice my opinion, in the same manner as others do, maybe with a little more backbone though. This forum was much better a couple of years ago and if you feel that it will never get better than it is know, then the conclusion must be that it is going down the tubes. The cynical answers that people get to questions by some of the regulars and Moderators, the impatience they display is symptomatic of the problem. People who are new to CD/DVD burning, new to computers, are treated like pariahs. Maybe it has just run it’s course too long. Nothing I have written here is meant to include you Mr. Belvedere as you are a constant here. The way certain members were allowed to rant and vent their hatred is the problem. The arbitrary ways the rules are applied, they seem to be based on popularity. It was not like that a couple of years ago. I guess that was the golden years of the forum, if I am to believe that it will not “ever get better than it is now”. I am just waiting for the “if you don’t like it then leave” comment. That person will be one of the problems. No, it’s is not a democracy, and the other forums I belong to are not rarities, not by a long shot. I may be older than you think and around the globe more times than you would know. The first time I used a computer was in 1972, using APL, with a modem so slow you would think it was operated by a squirrel. Experiences differ among people, but this forum has changed, it is becoming a clique and I voice my resentment to that. Not because I do not feel like I am part of it, I could care less. I voice my resentment because this is a place where much information has been exchanged, still is, but may be turning away people who have much to offer, due to the cynical attitudes of some of the regular members and Moderators and it should be checked. Just an opinion.

I’m a hands on fix it if possible person.
I fixed my old IBM computer by web surfing about the problem & applying what I found.
The problem was this motherboard had some capacitors with a manufacturing defect.
After some years use they would begin to expand & eventually leak.
I ordered the capacitors (i could not find them locally). Removed the motherboard ,Desoldered the old ones & soldered in the new ones.
This is my older computer but it is still working fine 4 years later.
btw it was manufactured in 1999.
For expressing views & opinions . I usually do that . I do sometimes hold back a bit though as hard as that is to believe.

Some forum history of myself on a couple of other forums.
I probably shouldn’t post this but it seems relevant.
For posting my opinions I have been demodded & banned permanently from one forum.

I left another where I had been an admin mod when the owner decided to close a couple of my topics. That forum was started with political opinions could be posted freely. This changed over time & some of my views didn’t agree with the site owners. So there was no reason for me to stay. I wasn’t banned but I haven’t been to the site again.

Good topic Zathros . I might need to get those speaker plans from you.

[QUOTE=Zathros;2564346]It’s a forum with a set of rules that are not applied equally. I personally have never experienced a real democracy, if you know what I mean.[/quote] I know what you mean, but i am fortunate that i have experienced some real democracies (somehwat biased perhaps). Democracy isn’t always that good though. It does not take into account the minorities.

I always say this to the people who absotely adore democracy: “Democracy is when two foxes and one rabbit decide what’s for dinner tonight”.

You are most definitely not one of the “idiots” or even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence or post as them, though I do not like to pass that kind of judgment on anyone .
Actually i am one of those idiots from time to time. Once emotions try to translate forum topics, it can get out of hand very quickly.

Opinions are like assholes. Everyone’s got 'em. :slight_smile: May sound harsh, but it can also mean that some opinions may seem pretty annoying to several other people. And if that other people should happen to have more powers than others, it will result in anger. There’s a pretty good reason why i’m not a mod here anymore. :slight_smile:

I also do not stress over it, I voice my opinion, in the same manner as others do, maybe with a little more backbone though.
That text alone might be enough for some people to call you an arrogant bastard though. :slight_smile:

This forum was much better a couple of years ago and if you feel that it will never get better than it is know, then the conclusion must be that it is going down the tubes.
Not really. It somehow lost the touch with new forum users and it is desperately trying to lose the CdFreaks name in favor of the MyCE name. It’s not really working with the old folks around here, but then again old people never liked change anyway. :slight_smile:

It’s the internet. No real point in complaining about the past of a forum when the owner can take the decision to change his site or destroy it at any given time.

The cynical answers that people get to questions by some of the regulars and Moderators, the impatience they display is symptomatic of the problem.
There are some real dumb questions though. :slight_smile: Anyhoo, you’re right.

People who are new to CD/DVD burning, new to computers, are treated like pariahs.
This assumption should stop from the beginning. But as with any newcomer, the old folks are both curious and wondering about this person. Perhaps a bit too much passive agressiveness.

Maybe it has just run it’s course too long. Nothing I have written here is meant to include you Mr. Belvedere as you are a constant here.
Don’t feel bad to include me in this. We had our discussions earlier. :slight_smile:

The way certain members were allowed to rant and vent their hatred is the problem.
Well, it seems you also kinda did just now. :slight_smile: Not to play the blame game, but perhaps the forum in general if you stop caring about certain users or posts. Lots of people here come only to a certain part of the forum and are seldom visiting other parts. They do this for a reason.

I may be older than you think and around the globe more times than you would know. The first time I used a computer was in 1972, using APL, with a modem so slow you would think it was operated by a squirrel.
I guess you’re about 55 now? The age of an old geezer complaining about the kids that should get off his lawn? :bigsmile: I’m not even in my 40’s yet, but i hope to be an old geezer myself one day. :slight_smile:

I voice my resentment because this is a place where much information has been exchanged, still is, but may be turning away people who have much to offer, due to the cynical attitudes of some of the regular members and Moderators and it should be checked. Just an opinion.
Maybe we can check ourselves. What would you change?

“That text alone might be enough for some people to call you an arrogant bastard though.:)”

Hey, I resemble that remark!!:bigsmile:

53 actually, and the funny thing is a neighbor started to encroach on my land. The town let me know and fined the guy.

As far as dumb questions, I used to train Machinists for Sikorsky Aircraft. That statement alone should give enough information for the idiocy, ignorance, and patience I had to endure. A lot of folks resented a Puerto Rican teaching them anything. Especially one who was fluent in Spanish and English. I got it from both sides, Puerto Ricans who said I was “whiteified”, and others who said I was “Puerto Rican”, which can be an insult by itself in some circles of New England!

@Cholla, this website : http://fullrangedriver.com/singledriver/ , is a bastion of knowledge about speaker building. If you are interested about building Elecrostatics (very delicate to use, really only for audiophiles who don’t have children). This site is a good place to start and you could make a pair just using the information he gives you.: http://mark.rehorst.com/ESLs/index.html , another site with boatloads of info: http://shackman-electrostatic-loudspeakers.reromanus.net/ . Want to build some really inexpensive speakers with big bucks sound, then read this page: http://fullrangedriver.com/singledriver/tqwt.html

I build my quarter wave tubes using the info from this (and some other info) using a Pioneer BF 20 which are no longer available, but if I had to do it again, I would use these: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-346 Dayton ( Dayton PS220-8 8" Point Source Full-Range Neo Driver) makes good drivers, and with a Piezo Electric tweeter you would need no crossover as the Tweeter makes it’s own capacitance resistance making a crossover not necessary. A 1K own Potentiometer in series on the positive lead to the tweeter could remove any sibilance if you detect any.

The boxes would be around 6 feet tall, from the right side, 12" deep on the bottom forming a right side triangle to around 2" (Interior dimensions!) with a 4" port the full 14" width (again interior dimension), looked from the front. You could use 1/2" plywood. There is no mechanical resonance as the speaker resonates in free air and the port on the bottom is nearly in perfect phase with the speaker, augmenting it’s sound. You could using 2" fiberglass insulation to dampen standing waves in the box, applied to the sides on the interior, leaving an open channel to the bottom port.

You could also buy the stuff they sell made for this purpose, Acousti-stuff: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=260-317 . Parts Express is an excellent company. I have dealt with them for 20 years. If you just build one of their speaker kits, you will have a speaker that will outperform speakers three times the price, and have had the pleasure of building yourself.