Enormous error-rates with 708a on DVD-R media

I’d like to know, whether anyone here has the same experiences with the 708a (FW 1.03), revision 0002 (September 2003):
Extremely bad error-rates using -r-Media like Ritek G04 white printable and CMC white printable, both burnt at 4x.
Verbatim -R printable perform better, but not to my satisfaction.
In the PI/PO tests (SUM8, using KProbe with a LiteOn 166s) error rates are way beyond any discussion. Plus: you can easily recognize - even with PoweRec shut off - two “steps” in the graph, when the 708 adjusts write speed. The problem persisted even after exchanging the drive at my dealer and unless what recording software I was using (RNM 4.5, PX engine 507, Ahead Nero 5.5 and 6, latest build).
Asking Plextors support, they suggested to wait until the release of Firmware 1.04, which should be due end of november.

You posted the same question on the last page of my PX-708A review, which I already answered. Here’s my reply:

Media quality has been an issue, I agree. If you look in the Plextor forum you can find a lot of discussions on this matter. I have personally found that the DVDs my PX-708A are of good quality since they play in all my drives and DVD players. I have no Lite-On DVD-ROM drive so I can’t measure the amount of PI/PO errors. But, you must keep in mind that the amount of errors you have measured also greatly depends on which drive you’re using with Kprobe. For instance, if you use a Lite-On DVD writer instead of a DVD-ROM you will see a completely different restult (a lower error count probably).

The end of November has been and gone. It is a shame that no firmware has been released so I can use the Ritek G04 -R I have that are sitting around and watching their +R brethren burn…

i also had this same problem with ritek media…so i’m sending my 100 pack back and getting some taiyo yudens :frowning:

Have used G04 and G03 with NERO 6.xxxx.23 read pi/po @ sum 1 and have had 1.8 / .67 avgs. The G04 burns at 2x have been very close to the pi/po readings I get from a pressed DVD on the 166s. I used several pressed DVD’s to get a baseline of what a good read should look like on the 166s with Kprobe. When my DSL gets connected in the next few days I will post several Kprobe graphs of burns with various media, burn speeds used, powerec enabled/disabled, and software combinations used on the plextor 708a. 8x burns have all been of much lower quality, the 4x burned at 1x and 2x have been the best quality.

Originally posted by Hard_ware
When my DSL gets connected in the next few days I will post several Kprobe graphs of burns with various media, burn speeds used, powerec enabled/disabled, and software combinations used on the plextor 708a.
Yes, please do! Welcome to the forum Hard_ware.