Enhanced CD or CD Extra

When making an Enhanced CD or Cd Extra after burning why can I not see the Audio Files on my PC yet they play fine in a CD player

Windows can only display one session at a time from a given CD. And it always loads the last one, that is the data part of the enhanced CD.
Most burning programs allows you to switch sessions. Nero for example digs its hole into Windows explorer and adds a “volumes” sheet in the drive properties. There, you can select the session you want to be active in Windows : audio or data.

Audio programs like Feurio! or EAC automatically see only the audio session (that is: 1th session). Isobuster is also able to see all the different sessions. If you have Nero installed, the Nero-multi-mounter is also available in Explorer.

Originally posted by bazzer59
When making an Enhanced CD or Cd Extra after burning why can I not see the Audio Files on my PC yet they play fine in a CD player

The audio in CD Extra (Enhanced CD) format is in CD format (Red Book). CD’s don’t appear as audio files in Windows but just use a .CDA file extension as a placeholder for the tracks. There are two sessions on the CD Extra disc, the first is audio and the second data.

The CD audio portion of a CD Extra disc is not recognized by Windows because only the last session of a multisession disc is normally available. This is why the data files are recognized in Windows Explorer as if there are no audio tracks.

In a CD player, the opposite happens. Only the first audio session is available. The player sees the CD format tracks and plays them as if there were no data files present.

This is exactly the way it is supposed to work. :wink:

Although windows explorer recognises the last session, windows cdplayer plays the audio tracks normally as a being a plain audio disc.