English subs - revisited (& titles)

vbimport

[Please don’t bump this thread/inquiry out of here–it IS a D2O issue when burning movie-only (the real bread/butter for D2O), and the real ‘experts’ on this topic are in here–not elsewhere…]

Once more around the park…
I know they don’t take much room/space. But…
Does one actually need to include the English sub in a typical (or ANY) English language, movie-only copy? I just can’t tell where typical, American, non-episodic, region 1 releases actually require such to produce a ‘theatrical-experience/accurate’ copy (or can anyone actually cite examples)? [and they ‘mess’ with players that require manual subs-off on remote…]
Related: [all here relate to maximizing space for PQ of larger movies to 1-disk, movie-only copies]–
For cheaper media (admit it–you are cheap, too!), what is the actual ‘safe’ size to set in D2O? I have great results at 72, but tweak it back to 58 or 60 for ‘margin of error’ at end of disk…what say you all? I am growing increasingly paranoid/concerned about end-disk artifacting now that I use the hacked A05 FW to force 2X-burns in C2DVD…
Lastly, I’ve read that clipping most/all of the trailer/end-credits can save up to 175-250 MB–a substantial boon for large-movie transcodes… Best/easiest method for this is what? DVDToolbox?
How about some tips for easiest/safest method?
Better yet–how about D2O addressing this trick in a coming release? And PLEASE, also get rid of the useless, 2 opening ‘clicks’ by making that stuff ‘sticky’). Pretty please!!!

WRT subtitles, it depends on how fluent your Klingon is… :bigsmile:
In some movies you’ll have foreigners, legal or illegal aliens, talk in their mother’s tongue. Failing to rip the (forced) subtitle leaves a lot of guesswork or outright confusion for the viewer.

I don’t know what you mean with 72, 58 or 60 for quality. I leave the default size and up to now I always got a perfectly fitting 4.36GB project from DVD2One.
If you have problems at the end of a disk, it’s most definately your burner or bad media or a combination of that. I’d suggest to slow down your burner back to normal for testing.

Depending on the length of the credits the saved space can be substantial.
You can get ChopperXP at http://www.digital-miner.com/ to cut them off the last .VOB before encoding with DVD2One.
Work with a copy of the last .VOB and check ChopperXP’s results. Sometimes Chopper just doesn’t cut it at the precise position.
Make sure you load the .IFO files into IfoEdit afterwards and make a “Get VTS Sectors” and re-save!

Your feature request to be able to cut a movie at an arbitrary position is a sound one. I suggest having an in- and out-point so you’re able to also cut off at the beginning if the credits are at the start of the movie or they felt the need to annoy us with three different studio intro clips plus one for dolby, THX and dts before launching finally into the movie… :stuck_out_tongue:
A nice preview would be nice sometime in the future, but entering the times by hand is also very acceptable to me.

cu

“Depending on the length of the credits the saved space can be substantial.
You can get ChopperXP at http://www.digital-miner.com/ to cut them off the last .VOB before encoding with DVD2One.
Work with a copy of the last .VOB and check ChopperXP’s results. Sometimes Chopper just doesn’t cut it at the precise position.
Make sure you load the .IFO files into IfoEdit afterwards and make a “Get VTS Sectors” and re-save!”

Sounds like too much work for me just to save an average of 100 MB going in–two proggies (and links at d-m are down regards further info). Guess I’ll wait D2O (or a competitor) to add this as a standard option/feature.
Isn’t some ver. of DVDToolbox a more direct (one-step) approach?

And are there others here who want the first 2 clicks in D2O sticky/automated? Or am I just hopelessly lazy?

Originally posted by loggy
Isn’t some ver. of DVDToolbox a more direct (one-step) approach?

Try it. It’s free. Haven’t used it yet, but I don’t think it can cut off parts of a movie.

And are there others here who want the first 2 clicks in D2O sticky/automated? Or am I just hopelessly lazy?

I don’t care about that. Concerning your second question, I tend to a “Yes”.

“I don’t care about that. Concerning your second question, I tend to a “Yes”.”

<g> Guilty as charged…!

But really, how many times must I tell the thing I’m English-speaking and registered? All others aspects of this incredibly small and efficient application are so intuitive and time-saving…