Endless war with Nforce2 chipset .. Is IDE Raid Controller a solution?

vbimport

Hello,

I own a Nforce-2 based Asus A7N8X Deluxe card, which is terrible with optical drives, even using the Microsoft IDE drivers, I was unable to get the best from my Phillips 48x cd writer, now connecting a Phillips DVD Writer (1640P) is even a bigger disaster (all dvds are coasters). I got my hands on a Ali chipset IDE/RAID controller. I have read in numerous sources that IDE/RAID controllers are no good for optical drives. During the boot screen, this card detects my DVD Writer as a UDMA device. Is this a good sign ? (I still get coasters though)

Thanks

where do you know that the chipset is causing errors???
i’ve got nforce 2 and it works absolutely great - better than any VIA chipset i ever had before… :wink:
of course, using the MS drivers

I been using a Asus A7N8X Deluxe board and been very happy with it, I have tried several different burners on it and they all work great I have had no problems with it.

Thanks, by the way I found out that my RAID controller has M5283 chipset on it, does anyone know if I can flash this chipset with a non-RAID bios … Thanks for the link …

Not sure who makes M5283 chipset. Where did you buy the RAID controller? My “RAID” card works relatively well with ODD drives, up to 12 drives per card.

M5283 is Ali Chipset … The IDE/Sata Controller is a no name brand

I have an A7N8X Deluxe myself and once I put the proper MS IDE driver in place, I didn’t have any IDE related problems with either of my Plextor PX-W4012A or my (now sold) PX-708A.

im using the SATA controller on my Abit NF7-S for my Nec 3500A… i just got it today was using Nec 2510a. im also using the Abit IDE to SATA converter that came with my mobo… been running it like this for a week now. So Oric maybe you could try the SATA controller on the A7N8X Deluxe (Asus sucks btw i had 2 A7N8X Deluxe both junk)