End of life for 203B?

It’s been quite some time since a firmware has come out for the Samsung 203b burner. This leads me to believe that the device has reached the end of life period designated by the manufacturer.

Is this so? How long do you think a manufacturer should provide firmware updates?

Hi,[quote=YouKnowWho;2197487]It’s been quite some time since a firmware has come out for the Samsung 203b burner. This leads me to believe that the device has reached the end of life period designated by the manufacturer. [/quote]Well, this drive is no longer sold. Its successors were the 203D (no longer sold also) and the recent 223 series drives.

Is this so? How long do you think a manufacturer should provide firmware updates?
Maybe there will be a firmware update, maybe not. Nobody knows.
There are other drive manufacturers (or OEMs) that never publish firmware updates, other companies like LG throw a new model on the market, which is nothing else than the old drive with a newer firmware :rolleyes:
That said, firmware support for the 203B wasn’t that bad. :slight_smile:

Michael

203N the same firmware? If so don’t you think the SB01 was better than the SB02? It seems like it is for me so far anyways.

Hi,[quote=wheelz;2197761]203N the same firmware?[/quote]this is a 203B plus Lightscribe. So the firmware is slightly different.

If so don’t you think the SB01 was better than the SB02? It seems like it is for me so far anyways.
No idea about 203N firmware. There will always be situations and configurations, where an older firmware is somewhat better (individually). Fortunately, Samsung supports flashing back to older firmwares (Many other drive manufacturers don’t).

Michael

Thanks I didn’t know some manufacturers didn’t support old firmwares. Another thing to look into before buying a new drive.