Encrypted dvd's will only recognize in certain situations

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Sony DW-D22A. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi. I am stumped by this situation. I have 2 sony dvdrw drives that have recently decided to stop recognizing encrypted dvd’s. Funny thing is that if i put a non-protected one ( burned or commercial ) in I can then remove that disc and I can then read an encrypted one - but after I remove that one, it again will no longer recognize an encrypted disc. Like the non-protected disc ‘unlocks’ the drive or something. I have tried updating drivers, reflashing drives, but no love. I am using vista sp1 if that helps. Thanks for your help! - Paul

[QUOTE=stasis;2448822][qanda]This thread is about the Sony DW-D22A. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi. I am stumped by this situation. I have 2 sony dvdrw drives that have recently decided to stop recognizing encrypted dvd’s. Funny thing is that if i put a non-protected one ( burned or commercial ) in I can then remove that disc and I can then read an encrypted one - but after I remove that one, it again will no longer recognize an encrypted disc. Like the non-protected disc ‘unlocks’ the drive or something. I have tried updating drivers, reflashing drives, but no love. I am using vista sp1 if that helps. Thanks for your help! - Paul[/QUOTE]

First off what Region is your drive set at?? What dvd are you in referring to would help others identify it?? Anydvd is one good software to bypass the encryption to see if it really the Encryption problem your talking about.

My drives are both region 1. AnyDvd is installed but does not initiate when a disc in inserted unless I go through the process of putting in a non-protected one first, then inserting a protected one. I have no problems once I can recognize the disc. This makes me think its a software issue, but to be fair - both these drives have ripped / burned enough discs to stretch to the moon and back. I don’t mind replacing the drives, but why replace it if it ain’t broke ya know?

oh yea, the dvd’s I cannot currently rec are Twilight, Pineapple express and Coraline. But with the process I have been able to read coraline and pineapple. Any ideas?