Starting with a discussion in the Intel P67/SandyBridge thread, I thought I might explore BD Rebuilder’s abilities to convert blu ray into compressed .mkv files. The Sandybridge processors have incredible speed and we are just beginning to see their potential in video encoding, but I thought my AMD 6 core machine could probably do a decent job. I was not expecting the results I got however.
Normally I compress large blu ray movies to fit 25gb Blu ray disks and use the BD 25 High speed option. It still takes 4 to 6 hrs in general to do this task, and varies according to the size of the original, the original codecs used, amount of action, etc. Each movie is slightly different of course.
In the discussion, Dee mentioned using Ripbot264 and encoding to a mkv of slightly less than 10gb. It took 3hrs 12 minutes in her new SandyBridge machine. As a very rough comparison, I tried to match her input and output sizes using BD Rebuilder. Different movie, so not anywhere near an apples to apples comparison, but this is just an informal test.
So, using a 28.64gb main movie input, (within a mounted ISO), I set BD Rebuilder to make a 1080p .mkv file using CRF encoding and the default quality setting of 20. Encoding was finished in 1hr 45 minutes. By the way, Dee later matched this speed with her machine using the same input settings in BD Rebuilder.
The results were very good, and it is hard to choose between it and the original. Output size was 9.44gb. I took a couple of screen shots which can be seen here:
I then tried a 2 pass encode to mkv with BD Rebuilder, trying for a similar output size. It came out as 9.6gb, using 11000 kbps. Encoding time was almost exactly 3hrs.
These encoding times are quite good compared to what I’ve experienced using Handbrake. I haven’t tried Ripbot264 on this machine. The CRF encode seems just as good as the 2 pass. CRF encoding is generally unpredictable in size, but if you can live with that, the speed increase here may be worth it.