Encoding fps seems slow. Anyway to adjust?

Hello all.

I’m new here and I just downloaded a trial copy of DVDFab Platnium. I like it and I’m considering downloading the full version but I’m having a small problem.

First, my main goal is to make files of all my DVDs to be stored on an external hard drive so I can play them on my xbox 360. I’m using the Xbox 360 choice in the “DVD to Mobile” menu. It tranfers ok and the files look great but it seems slow. The Encoding fps starts off at 30 but within the first minute diminishes to between 2 and 3. Is there anyway to make it go faster? I have a brand new HP Pavilion Notebook with 4 GBs of memory.

I’m pretty computer savvy, but this is the first time I’ve tried anything like this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Andy

First off, I would make sure that both the source and destination are on the local hard drive. You [I]can[/I] encode from the DVD directly to the external drive but this could be creating lots of drive access delay. Your best option is to rip to the hard drive, encode the files, and then move them to the external drive. This also allows you to batch several encodings at a time.

What type of processor is in the laptop? Mobile processors are often slower to save on power consumption and heat.

Hi Andy
There is a setting in DVDFab->Common Settings->DVD to Mobile called “Memory amount to be used for converting” with a drop down selector. The default is “Auto” I think, you may want to try some of the other settings to see if you can optimize for your system. With DVDFab in general you will get the best performance if you configure your system to avoid internal bottlenecks, e.g. don’t have the read optical drive and the Target hard drive on the same controller. Avoid multitasking, especially when doing mobile conversions. The CPU is very busy–look at it on the Performance tab of Task Manager. All that being said, the wmv profiles do all seem to be slower than most of the others. Use the smallest screen size you can get by with, it will make a difference. And Complication’s point about power is well taken–most laptops’ power management throttles back the CPU when running on battery power, so always connect the AC adapter.

The Mobile option has its own sub-forum now. Try it next time, the developers look there first for mobile issues.

[QUOTE=signals;2218326]Hi Andy
There is a setting in DVDFab->Common Settings->DVD to Mobile called “Memory amount to be used for converting” with a drop down selector. The default is “Auto” I think, you may want to try some of the other settings to see if you can optimize for your system. With DVDFab in general you will get the best performance if you configure your system to avoid internal bottlenecks, e.g. don’t have the read optical drive and the Target hard drive on the same controller. Avoid multitasking, especially when doing mobile conversions. The CPU is very busy–look at it on the Performance tab of Task Manager. All that being said, the wmv profiles do all seem to be slower than most of the others. Use the smallest screen size you can get by with, it will make a difference. And Complication’s point about power is well taken–most laptops’ power management throttles back the CPU when running on battery power, so always connect the AC adapter.

The Mobile option has its own sub-forum now. Try it next time, the developers look there first for mobile issues.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I have the computer plugged in when I’m trying this and I tried to change the “Memory amount to be used for converting” to “max” and nothing changed. I also have avoided multi-tasking. DVDFab is the only program open when I use it. I don’t understand what this means:

“With DVDFab in general you will get the best performance if you configure your system to avoid internal bottlenecks, e.g. don’t have the read optical drive and the Target hard drive on the same controller.”

I don’t know what it means when things are on the same “controller”. I also and not sure what an read optical drive is and I guess the Target is where I’m trying to get my file to save? Thanks!

[QUOTE=Andy Scarpulla;2218432]Thanks! I have the computer plugged in when I’m trying this and I tried to change the “Memory amount to be used for converting” to “max” and nothing changed. I also have avoided multi-tasking. DVDFab is the only program open when I use it. I don’t understand what this means:

“With DVDFab in general you will get the best performance if you configure your system to avoid internal bottlenecks, e.g. don’t have the read optical drive and the Target hard drive on the same controller.”

I don’t know what it means when things are on the same “controller”. I also and not sure what an read optical drive is and I guess the Target is where I’m trying to get my file to save? Thanks![/QUOTE]As an alternitve try the generic.xvid.avi.audiocopy profile. I have tested this on the xbox.

I started with WMV when I first started ripping and moved to AVI when I bought DVDFab.

[QUOTE=Monkeycowboy;2218435]As an alternitve try the generic.xvid.avi.audiocopy profile. I have tested this on the xbox.

I started with WMV when I first started ripping and moved to AVI when I bought DVDFab.[/QUOTE]

Did you mean generic.avi.xvid.autocopy? That the only one I saw that looked like that. I’m trying it now and its flying! Hope it works when I try to play it on the xbox.

[QUOTE=Andy Scarpulla;2218443]Did you mean generic.avi.xvid.autocopy? That the only one I saw that looked like that. I’m trying it now and its flying! Hope it works when I try to play it on the xbox.[/QUOTE]

It worked!!! Thanks so much!!

:iagree::iagree:[QUOTE=Andy Scarpulla;2218443]Did you mean generic.avi.xvid.autocopy? That the only one I saw that looked like that. I’m trying it now and its flying! Hope it works when I try to play it on the xbox.[/QUOTE]