Encoding DVD's with Dr. DivX

I downloaded the trial version of Dr. DivX today and tried to encode a DVD so that it took up much less space on my hard drive. It only allows me to encode 1 file at a time which makes it useless for compressing DVD’s or is this just a limitation of the trial version?

The manual says it is possible to select all files in a sequence but I could not see how. Using the shift key when selecting files made no difference.

Alessia

Don’t use Dr.DivX - its sucks big time.

All you need is two programs - DVD Decrypter and AutoGK - both free.

Rip the DVD using DVD Decrypter.

Then start up AutoGK.

Select the folder that has your ripped DVD
Select the folder you want it to save your AVI to
Select the audio stream you want from the drop down list
Select the subtitle stream if you want one
Select the file size you want it to be

AutoGK encodes files in XVID by default, but if you want it encdoded in DivX just select the Advanced tab and you can change the codec.

Then add your job to the que - you can either start encoding now or create another job.

This will give you much better results than Dr.DivX ever could.

AutoGK already comes bundled with DVD2AVI and VirtualDubMod and the whole process is automated so you don’t have to fiddle with anything.

I found this guide very useful to backup my dvd to divx with AC3 sound.
And yea, Dr DivX can’t do the job perfectly.

http://www.divx-digest.com/articles/index_english.html#dvd2

AutoGK is Gordian Knot but with less functionability - its designed with a simple interface to allow even a novice to rip DVD’s (with AC3 or MP3).

But if you know what you’re doing then Gordian Knot is excellent as it allows more tweaking by the user.

have to agree with the autogk advice. it never fails to produce great results - using the xvid codec NOT divx. plus the help file is THE BEST i have ever read/understood. go to www.free-codecs.com and get the autogk 125 installer AND the lastest update.

AutoGK is Gordian Knot but with less functionability - its designed with a simple interface to allow even a novice to rip DVD’s (with AC3 or MP3).

But if you know what you’re doing then Gordian Knot is excellent as it allows more tweaking by the user.

yea, get some experience with AutoGK & finally rip it with Gordian Knot :bigsmile: