Enclosure Recommendations

[qanda]This thread is about the Toshiba MK4032GAX - hard drive - 40 GB - ATA-100. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I have this hard drive from an old laptop and I’m finally getting around to picking up an enclosure for it. Problem is, I can’t seem to find one that works. 2 separate sales people at Best Buy and Staples steered me wrong.

Simple question, I know, but help is greatly appreciated!

Do you want to use the enclosure for just the laptop drive or are you thinking of adding another drive later on? You don’t say which ones you have tried and what the problem was. I’m just guessing that it didn’t have the 44 pin connector? Google around a bit for 2.5 inch enclosures or even for ones the supports 3.5 and 2.5 inch. Be sure the read the specs because you’ll need one that is IDE internal not Sata, maybe they have them that support both interfaces, I don’t know. I really can’t recommend on brand over another, read the user reviews if there are any. You might give Newegg a visit to see what they have available. I don’t know if you’re in the States, but I just checked Newegg and they list 37 models with an internal IDE interface.

No need to add another drive. Also, I’m not particular about the brand, just want something that will be compatible. The last one I tried was a Rocketfish 2.5" USB SATA External Hard Drive Enclosure. That was the one the kid at Best Buy insisted would fit. You’re right on with the problem being the connectors not matching up. I’ll check for an IDE at the site you recommend.

Any additional thoughts are appreciated.

Don’t really have anything else to add. Here’s the link to the Newegg 2.5 inch internal IDE enclosures. As I said. read the customer reviews to get an idea of what other users think of a particular model.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010090092%201053807124%201054107130&name=IDE