Enabling SSD overclock setting in the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility

vbimport

1. Download and Install the latest version of the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3483&DwnldID=23084&keyword=""extreme+tuning+utility""&lang=eng

1. Once installed, browse to the directory where the settings are stored, see the attached image for my Windows 8 installation and the files I have.

2. I’ve used Compactview to open the files
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/compactview/?source=dlp

Note that you can’t open them if IETU is running, if that’s the case, copy them to a new folder e.g. test…

So far I’m stuck on getting the settings enabled. Maybe with the right hardware combination it will appear, but maybe it’s also a setting we can enable in one these databases.

I’ve thoroughly searched the registry and I couldn’t find any setting there.

I can’t see your screenshot above (as I just registered to these forums) but looking at the disassembly (with IDA) of several of the program’s files indeed shows references to SSD tuning.
e.g. the following in Client\Common.dll:

.method public final hidebysig virtual newslot specialname instance bool get_GetSsdTuningEnable()
{
.maxstack 8
ldc.i4.0
ret
}

That is, the function pushes 0 to the stack and returns, thus always returning 0.
I naturally tried making it return 1 (by setting ldc.i4.1) but it didn’t seem to make a difference :frowning:

I have zero experience modifying windows assembly (not to mention .NET) so I wouldn’t be surprised to find out there are various protections for these kind of things (e.g. protected by a hash of the binary) - does anyone here have experience with this kind of things?
I’ll do some reading and try to get some more progress :slight_smile:

Thanks smootha, we were thinking that it might read out the identification string of the drive, which might include a firmware version. If we could inject the string of an Intel drive, it might be possible to enable it and maybe also use it on other drives.

I also have not any experience besides fiddling around with a Hex editor, but you seem to better know how to modify files than me. It would be interesting to see what other kind of methods/properties we can see and set.

As it means 20% in performance boost, it would be beyond the SATA 3 limit.

We need SATA Express asap!

I’m actually wondering if for some underclocking might not be a more interesting feature. I guess when you have an application to use SSD that doesn’t require full speed, or not all the time, underclocking might save some energy…

[QUOTE=DoMiN8ToR;2698246]I’m actually wondering if for some underclocking might not be a more interesting feature. I guess when you have an application to use SSD that doesn’t require full speed, or not all the time, underclocking might save some energy…[/QUOTE]

Or increase longevity perhaps!

[B]Wombler[/B]

not work for me :frowning:

can someone help me :smiley:

What SSD do you have ragexmaxima?(Welcome to the forum BTW)

OCZ Revodrive X2 100GB (Thanks :D)

Overclocking will only work on select Intel SSDs. If you want to speed up your system, then try this software (Free trial, you can easily win a free license)

DoMiN8ToR thanks for attention :slight_smile:

need to post :a

Nice Post, I will try it later.