Enabled DMA, now I can't boot Windows 2000

I have been running DVDFab for a while now with no problems.

Last night I upgraded my motherboard and cpu. The new motherboard took about 30 minutes to get all the drivers installed. It’s an ASROCK PT880 SATA-2 R2.0. After all was said and done, and it was running great, I called it quits and shut down for the night.

This morning, I booted up and started DVDFab up. DVDFab said that I wasn’t using DMA mode, so I told it to switch over to DMA and it prompted me to restart.

When the computer restarted, it said “Windows 2000 could not start because of an error in the software” “Please report problem as:” “Loader error 3” “Please contact your support person to report this problem”

I can’t boot into safe mode, I can’t use “use last known good configuration”. Nothing I do can get me back into my Windows 2000 account.

Anyone have any ideas? If worst comes to worst, I suppose I can always use the recovery CD to repair the install. If i do that, it’s going to over-write my registry though. Hours and hours of work…

I guess it’s time to use the recovery mode, but i’m stumped that a mere DMA enabling could destroy your win2k system. Perhaps you should email your configuration to Fengtao.

There will be no emailing until i can get back in :slight_smile:

I think I found what may have caused the issue, but I don’t have over 700 drives attached…

SYMPTOMS
If your system has a large number of logical unit numbers (LUNs) and volumes (over 700), when you restart Windows 2000 Server or Windows Server 2003, you may receive one of the following error messages:

Windows 2000 could not start because of an error in the software. Please report this problem as Loader Error 3.

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows 2000 Server or Windows Server 2003 Setup using the original Setup floppy disk or CD-ROM. Select ‘r’ at the first screen to start repair.

CAUSE
Windows 2000 server and Windows Server 2003 store information about LUNs and volumes that have been installed and configured in a computer in the SYSTEM hive of the registry. When a device (including a drive) is removed from a system, Windows 2000 Server and Windows Server 2003 retain the registry entries in case the device returns to the system; this is part of Plug and Play. This issue can occur after an array or set of drives is reconfigured, if they are detected as new devices and therefore create duplicate entries. If there are a large number of drives (over 700), this issue can cause the SYSTEM hive to grow large.

The SYSTEM hive is limited to approximately 10.3 megabytes (MB) in size in Windows 2000 Server. This is because the SYSTEM hive and the Windows kernel files must fit below 16 MB when Windows starts.

Unfortunately, in this article (277222), they don’t tell you what to do after you press “r” in the recovery console…

[quote=Rezolution11;2031312]Unfortunately, in this article (277222), they don’t tell you what to do after you press “r” in the recovery console…[/quote]R means “Repair”. There should be some MSKB article about that (search microsoft.com for “Recovery Console”).

Also, someone else stated in another article that he:

1. Backed up the entire partition (in case of data loss)

2. Booted up with the Windows 2000 install/upgrade/recovery CD

3. Booted into the recovery mode, then recovery console

4. Used a command called ‘fixboot’

5. Rebooted the PC

I’m going to give this a shot and I can post the results if anyone is interested…

Always a bad idea to upgrade mobo and cpu without doing a clean install of the OS. That’s just asking for driver conflicts.

Well, I was able to get into Windows again by booting up with the original CD, going into the recovery console and doing a “fixboot”. However, each time I rebooted, I wound up getting the error again.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling an older version of the VIA 4 in 1 drivers and that fixed the problem. Now, for some reason, I have two Primary IDE and two Secondary IDE channels listed in my device manager, but I dont care because I can boot into Windows now with no problem.