Enable Or Disable AHCI?

vbimport

I know this has been covered in scattered posts. But I just want some advice whether enable AHCI is a good or bad idea on a Samsung Burner. I currently have an SH-203B.

Any comments on previous experiences would be appreciated.

There is no definitive answer whether AHCI is good or bad, because it’s dependent on which chip is controlling the SATA ports. IDE mode is usually recommended because it doesn’t seem to complicate the interface. It may end up being a trial-and-error process until the optimum performance is achieved.

Hi,[quote=N3X6;2102535] But I just want some advice whether enable AHCI is a good or bad idea on a Samsung Burner.[/quote]I don’t see any advantages of AHCI in normal home user environment. Depending on the Sata controller, it might work. If you are running your Sata controller in IDE mode, then stick with that, you won’t gain anything (but trouble perhaps) if you switch to AHCI.

Michael

Just to provide more info I have an INTEL ICH9R as the chipset. I am just curious whether there is a performance benefit or does it cause more problems in general.

Hi,[quote=N3X6;2102563]Just to provide more info I have an INTEL ICH9R as the chipset. I am just curious whether there is a performance benefit or does it cause more problems in general.[/quote]I switched from IDE to AHCI on my Dell notebook. No performance gain at all, but slightly increased CPU load. So I went back to IDE. I could switch since the AHCI drivers were already installed. If they are not, you won’t be able to boot, which is ugly.

Michael