Enable 1x writting - DH16A6S (Lite-On OEM for Acer X1700)

vbimport

Hi guys,

I have an ACER X1700 (bought a month ago) and it comes with this ATAPI DVD A DH16A6S SCSI drive, with YA16 firmware and LABELFLASH function.

I foud that it has a minimum writing speed of 4x and for some applications and media I need it to write at slower speeds (1x, 2x, …).

I extracted the firmware with Flash Utility 3.0.3 in order to change it with Omni Patcher 2.6.2, but it does not seem to recognise the extracted firmware.

Do you know any other way to make the change I need? Shall I make this crossflashing you are talking about? Could you please tell me the detailed steps to do it as I am a newbie in DVD-RW flashing?

Thank you very much. :bow:

[QUOTE=cvs;2468417]I had a look at the firmware and I found absolutely nothing to suggest that your drive is not a normal DH20A6S (iHAS120) clone …[/QUOTE]

Hi cvs,

Which application did you use to check the firmware? I tried to open it with OmniPatcher but it doesn’t recognise it. :confused:

Thanks! :wink:

Hi guys,

I have an ACER X1700 (bought a month ago) and it came with this ATAPI DVD A DH16A6S SCSI drive, with YA16 firmware and LABELFLASH function.

I found that it has a minimum writing speed of 4x and for some applications and media I need it to be able to write at 1x speed.

I extracted the firmware with Flash Utility 3.0.3 in order to change it with Omni Patcher 2.6.2, but this application does not seem to recognise the extracted firmware. I also extracted the EEPROM with EEPROM Utility 5.0.1.

Can someone tell me the way to make the change I need? Shall I make a crossflashing to a difefrent firmware than the stock one? Which one? How? As I am a newbie in DVD-RW flashing I am afraid if bricking my DVD-RW unit. :confused:

By the way, the DVD-RW unit does not have any LED to be aware of a missflashing.

Thank you very much!! :bow:

If it aint broke, dont try to fix it…you’ll get yourself into a mess if you do not know what you are doing.

It should have Lightscribe, not labelflash.

You wont be able to write at 1x. Why that low?

Omni patch does not support the newer drives.
If you are trying to back up XBox disks, the 1x 2x thing is garbage.
4x or a little higher is just fine.

Hi,QUOTE=clotet;2470219

I found that it has a minimum writing speed of 4x [/quote]That’s normal.

and for some applications and media I need it to be able to write at 1x speed.
Forget it. This drive has a minimum write speed of 4x, and you can’t do anything about that. No go.

Use quality media and burn them somewhat below its rated speed (which is normally not the lowest speed allowed for that media).

Michael

[QUOTE=pfloyd1;2470251]If it aint broke, dont try to fix it…you’ll get yourself into a mess if you do not know what you are doing.

It should have Lightscribe, not labelflash.

You wont be able to write at 1x. Why that low?[/QUOTE]

It has LABELFLASH, believe me. It is written on the front and also on the ACER user manual.

[QUOTE=mciahel;2470258]Hi,That’s normal. Forget it. This drive has a minimum write speed of 4x, and you can’t do anything about that. No go.

Use quality media and burn them somewhat below its rated speed (which is normally not the lowest speed allowed for that media).

Michael[/QUOTE]

Which kind of media do you recomend then?

[QUOTE=pfloyd1;2470252]Omni patch does not support the newer drives.
If you are trying to back up XBox disks, the 1x 2x thing is garbage.
4x or a little higher is just fine.[/QUOTE]

It’s Wii backups and no, it doesn’t work writting at 4x. I am using VERBATIM and EMTEC disks.

Anyway, does OmniPatch let do the change I want to do? Then I could crossflash to a Firmware supported by OmniFlash…

[QUOTE=clotet;2470496]It has LABELFLASH, believe me. It is written on the front and also on the ACER user manual.[/QUOTE]

What software did you use to write on the front of the disk?

OmniPatch doesnt support newer Liteon drives.

[QUOTE=pfloyd1;2470499]What software did you use to write on the front of the disk?[/QUOTE]

It is written on the front of the drive, not of the disk! :iagree:

I haven’t used the LABELFLASH function so far.

[QUOTE=pfloyd1;2470504]OmniPatch doesnt support newer Liteon drives.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I know, but if I crossflash to iHAS120 Firmware? Shall it work?

If not, is there any other application similar to OmniPatch that can do the job?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=clotet;2470497]Which kind of media do you recomend then?[/QUOTE]You can’t go wrong with Verbatim.

And do not crosspost. :cop:
(posts merged, might be somewhat messy now.)

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2470524]You can’t go wrong with Verbatim.

And do not crosspost. :cop:
(posts merged, might be somewhat messy now.)

Michael[/QUOTE]

OK, I appologize for crossposting. :rolleyes:

So, is there a way to do what I need? In this thread (http://club.myce.com/f59/burning-app-would-force-my-dvd-burner-burn-1x-134443/) there is someone talking about forcing his DVD drive to write slower than 4x, with OmniPatcher. :iagree:

If I crossflash mi DVD drive to an OmniPatcher compatible Firmware (i.e. http://club.myce.com/f44/dh-16a6s-crossflashing-304838/), could I do that? :confused:

Thanks! :bow:

[QUOTE=clotet;2470633]
So, is there a way to do what I need? In this thread (http://club.myce.com/f59/burning-app-would-force-my-dvd-burner-burn-1x-134443/) there is someone talking about forcing his DVD drive to write slower than 4x, with OmniPatcher. :iagree:[/QUOTE]

You realise that thread is nearly 5 years old now and has very little (if anything) to do with the new high speed drives …

[QUOTE=clotet;2470633]If I crossflash mi DVD drive to an OmniPatcher compatible Firmware (i.e. http://club.myce.com/f44/dh-16a6s-crossflashing-304838/), could I do that? :confused:
[/QUOTE]

You are not listening! :doh: Omnipatcher does NOT support ANY of the new drives/firmwares! Omnipatcher development ended in 2007, hence it will not work with any of the firmwares from recent/modern drives such as the LH/DH/iHAS/iHAP series or newer. Crossflashing your drive won’t help you with what you want; besides, you cant crossflash “to an OmniPatcher compatible Firmware” because there is no such thing! Just forget about OmniPatcher, its a dead end! :eek:

Assuming that what you want is even possible, your only hope is MCSE.

[QUOTE=cvs;2470982]You realise that thread is nearly 5 years old now and has very little (if anything) to do with the new high speed drives …

You are not listening! :doh: Omnipatcher does NOT support ANY of the new drives/firmwares! Omnipatcher development ended in 2007, hence it will not work with any of the firmwares from recent/modern drives such as the LH/DH/iHAS/iHAP series or newer. Crossflashing your drive won’t help you with what you want; besides, you cant crossflash “to an OmniPatcher compatible Firmware” because there is no such thing! Just forget about OmniPatcher, its a dead end! :eek:

Assuming that what you want is even possible, your only hope is MCSE.[/QUOTE]

OK, understood the thing. For the first time someone answers clearly in this forum, instead of answering with more questions. :clap:

What is MCSE? :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks. :slight_smile: