Emergency eject while computer power is ON

Hello… I have an LG-4163B dvd burner… While I was trying to copy a file from CD to hard drive, the dvd drive became unresponsive (leds not blinking, eject button not working) and the OS froze (winXP)… I was unable to get the CD out so I used a pin for ‘emergency eject’, and only later did I realize that I might’ve actually needed to power down my PC before doing ‘emergency eject’… (when the cd tray opened the cd itself was still spinning)… So now I have a question to all the hardware-proficient people out there :wink: :

Is there any possibility of physically (and irreversibly) damaging the dvd drive when doing the ‘emergency eject’ with the power ON ?

The drive appears to be working fine now, it reads both cds and dvds perfectly… I’m just worried that from now on the dvd will produce worse-quality burns (as dumb as it may sound)…

I did the same thing once. I got the sound of grinding plastic gears and a rather ugly sound from the still spinning dvd though. My guess would be that it might have damaged something but the risk is not too high. About all I can say is watch the drive and see if it has any problems. Mine worked fine afterwords. I would not think that it could not cause anything that would make it work fine but not burn as well. Rater, if anything, you might get a mechanical falure that kills the drive. If it still works fine, I wouldn’t worry about it.

Thank you for your reply, it really helps knowing that I’m no the only one to make such a simple mistake…