Embed Subtitles

Is there a way to embed subtitles on a Vob file using DVDFab ? I read that there’s an option called direct render to video that will hardcode subs for you but for the life of me I can’t find it :confused:.

The “direct render…” option is not available in VOB Passthrough mode. It is located on the Conversion Settings screen in the lower right corner for most of the other profiles. (A subpicture stream must be selected before you click Next for it to be active). The Conversion Settings screen is accessed with its button after you click Next.

Hello Signals and thanks for replying. Please, for my sake, could you tell me how to find the conversion setting screen :confused:. At the moment I put the DVD in the drive, open DVDFab - then what. Sorry to be a bore but I have tried so many programmes and been told it can’t be done that it’s driving me mad. I mean I am perfectly capable of putting DVD’s onto my NAS and streaming them using Twonky to my PS3 but when it comes to foreign language films I need subtitles and I can’t fathom how to embed them.

[quote=MrsMiggins;2206693]Hello Signals and thanks for replying. Please, for my sake, could you tell me how to find the conversion setting screen :confused:. At the moment I put the DVD in the drive, open DVDFab - then what. Sorry to be a bore but I have tried so many programmes and been told it can’t be done that it’s driving me mad. I mean I am perfectly capable of putting DVD’s onto my NAS and streaming them using Twonky to my PS3 but when it comes to foreign language films I need subtitles and I can’t fathom how to embed them.[/quote]No Problem! If you are ripping to DVD Video compliant output, i.e. a VIDEO_TS folder, there is no Conversion Settings screen, it only appears if you are using one of the Mobile option conversions (which include VOB Passthrough). After you set everything up on the Title settings screen(the first one that opens after you click on the Mobile conversion type desired) and click Next, the conversion task list appears. Below the task list window, on the right-hand side you will find the Conversion Settings button, but there are few setting options available for VOB Passthrough. Again, it will not embed the subtitles into the video, only extract them to files. In some films the “translation subtitles” are already rendered into the video during authoring, e.g. The Hunt for Red October. For most true ‘foreign’ films, e.g. [I]Jean de Florette[/I] native French dialog in R1, USA release, you will need the subtitles.

[QUOTE=signals;2206702]if you are using one of the Mobile option conversions (which include VOB Passthrough). After you set everything up on the Title settings screen(the first one that opens after you click on the Mobile conversion type desired) and click Next, the conversion task list appears.[/QUOTE]

Thanks again signals. I don’t have those Mobile options :confused:. All I have is DVD to DVD. So if I read you correctly are you saying I cannot get what I want anyway ? I mean I can’t have the subtitles embedded with the film ?

Hmmmm I think we need to see what version and options you have. Look at the blue bar at the top of the DVDFab window. Over on the far left is the Monkey god, then the logo, then the model (Gold, Platinum etc.) , then Option: Mobile if you have that. Does that sound like what yours looks like?

Hey signals,

Funnily enough I re-downloaded DVDFab last night. When I did so it did say ‘mobile option’ but it doesn’t show up when I open it - it’s all very strange;

You apparently don’t have the option. If you think you paid for it or intended to, or used to have it, it should be there. When you click on the buy now link on dvdfab.com, the default at one time was to include the mobile option on the checkout form (there is a box with a checkmark). The words mobile and option may appear on the download link, but do not necessarily mean that your license includes the mobile feature. Did you make the purchase recently?

Yes, I bought it on the 15th of this month. To be honest, as I was new to DVDFab, maybe I didn’t realise what the Mobile option was at the time. So what would you recommend now ? Can I buy the mobile option ? I looked at my receipt and it just says DVDFab Platinum (1 Year) for a total of 40USD.

EDIT: I have just seen another post about the mobile option and now realise it is a separate download that I can pay for so I will do that and see where I go from there. I’ll then post back on this thread - thanks so much for your help :).

I have finally installed option mobile - sorry for all that confusion. Now, if I read you correctly, I won’t be able to embed the subtitles anyway :confused: ? Oh dear, what a palaver. Is there no way I can rip a DVD, save it to my NAS and stream it to my PS3 with the subtitles ?

I know this probably sounds a silly thing to do when I can just as easily put the DVD in the PS3 but I’m a stickler for getting things right and if there is a way I’d like to find it .

[QUOTE=MrsMiggins;2207853]I have finally installed option mobile - sorry for all that confusion. Now, if I read you correctly, I won’t be able to embed the subtitles anyway :confused: ? Oh dear, what a palaver. Is there no way I can rip a DVD, save it to my NAS and stream it to my PS3 with the subtitles ?

I know this probably sounds a silly thing to do when I can just as easily put the DVD in the PS3 but I’m a stickler for getting things right and if there is a way I’d like to find it .[/QUOTE]
Sure as long as you have another PC running either WMC or WMP11 and set up to share the data on the NAS with your PS3.

That should work… You can embed the subtitles to just about any of the other mobile coversions or (? PS3 users) stream the decrypted VIDEO_TS folder. Sorry for the short reply, on the road today.

Thanks very much MonkeyCowboy and signals you’re very kind :bow:. Excellent help on here and very quick :clap:.