Emachine t3302, new install of os

vbimport

Get this guys and gals

My recovery partition/software is unusable, neither the cd/dvd originally supplied nor the one I created. So, I contact emachine and I get the typical runaround, So I ask them , Instead of paying you the money for worthless bloatware dvd solutions, can I not just download all the drivers, and spend my money on an new version of win xp from target dept store or officemax or some place? they replied in an email a minute ago that no other version of windows xp will work on this computer other then the one provided by them specifically. now tell me, isnt this a crock of s***? There incorrect, right? this cant be possible, could it. I mean I am not that stupid. I mean cant i buy any version of winxp, and use my winxp live cd to format the drive or the cd/dvd that I purchase and remove that worthless D:\ partition and reformat the entire drive and re-install. someone please tell me that what they are saying is bullcrap, and that I can use a retail version of any winxp that I choose, and am not forced into emachine slavery. the topic thread said stupid questions go here! I am hoping that this is really stupid.

Mark

LOL! Wow, eMachines has no clue, or lied to you on purpose.

Welcome to CD Freaks. :slight_smile:

Yes, you can purchase a retail version of XP and install it yourself.

If you go on Google and type your computer model, it does not say that OS is an eMachine WinXP only.
It is loaded with Microsoft WinXP Home.

http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-E-Machines-EMACHINES-T3302-Desktop-PC-Computer

I do hate this preloaded crap.

As long as you can get all the necessary drivers, you should certainly be able to install a retail version of XP.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2113660]As long as you can get all the necessary drivers, you should certainly be able to install a retail version of XP.[/QUOTE]

I second that. I was able to when I wiped my own eMachine that I had.

IF your machine has a SATA Hard DRive-then you will need to slipstream the SATA drivers onto a copy of WIN XP. Other than that, I agree that the install of a ‘legal’ copy of either XP Home or Pro will only force you to find all of the machine’s drivers. Then again Windows does have the ability to go ont he WEB and find many of them for you. This last solution requires that the NIC/Ethernet drivers be install (usually from the Windows CD).

We had a situation where eMachine admitted that they had built a group of machines incorretly as to drive letters. The solution was FREE-a replacement CD under warranty. I was able to remove all of the bloatware without any issues.
Good luck

[QUOTE=jc836;2113735]IF your machine has a SATA Hard DRive-then you will need to slipstream the SATA drivers onto a copy of WIN XP. Other than that, I agree that the install of a ‘legal’ copy of either XP Home or Pro will only force you to find all of the machine’s drivers. Then again Windows does have the ability to go ont he WEB and find many of them for you. This last solution requires that the NIC/Ethernet drivers be install (usually from the Windows CD).

We had a situation where eMachine admitted that they had built a group of machines incorretly as to drive letters. The solution was FREE-a replacement CD under warranty. I was able to remove all of the bloatware without any issues.
Good luck[/QUOTE]

My newest email from them, a couple of hours ago, said many things, I will paraphrase a few here " mark, the copy of windows home edition that is installed on your computerr is proprietary to us…you cannot install another copy of windows any version with out violationing the original warranty etc. etc, you cannot remove the d:\ partition…etc., … no copy of windows will install without the original oembios.sys, oembios.inf, oembios,bin etc. …" I have several copies of windows from dell, hp, and an original 1 and 1a winxp that I could build from. It is unfortunate that I and many others have to put up with the craziness from many OEM manufacturers. This is actually going to court to seek certification for class action. It is far more complicated, I would have been willing to leave it alone if they would have just supplied a winxp home cd but no…and since all of the winxp cds I have except the oldest one were made for different oem products and have oem folders on the disk, I would have to somehow build one and i have had no luck in slipstreaming with nlite and I cannot figure out iso builder, which seems the most viable solution. You guys would not believe some of the stupidity that emachines employees mailed back to me in response. and I would have to add the drivers as well, some how. Or buy another install from the closet store, Target, Officemax, office depot or Kmart etc. I have home on this recovery dvd/cd but it wont boot and never has and emachines has always denied responsibility, from day one. and it is the same when trying to boot to the recovery console/ partition. It does not work. I have thought many hours about the different programs that allow the building of a cd, nlite will not be able to recover from this restore dvd and I can not get enough assistance in english to use xp- iso builder, no spamming intended, reference only, I would be willing to purchase another program if it could assist me in making a cd by recovering from this system dvd. well, I do not know what else to do, and I will not argue with these people anymore. By the way, emachines said that there is something in the bios that prevents the active recovery partition D:\ from being removed. again, I think this is poo-doo but I do not have enough knowledge to really make a decision one way or the other, but it sounds like a bunch of crap to me.

mark

OK, I just rebuilt an eMachines 2885.
The owner lost her Recovery CD so I did a Repair Install using an XP Home [B]OEM[/B] CD.
I used a Dell branded, XP Home [B]OEM[/B] CD.
I highlight OEM because that’s what you will need if you don’t want to completely wipe your drive. This way you don’t have to buy anything and you can keep your “XP Profile” intact.
An XP Home [B]Retail[/B] CD will not work for Repair Install in this instance.
An XP Home Upgrade version will not work, for this approach either.

Your original, eMachine-branded copy of XP is in the OEM form, so to do this on the cheap, you need to borrow an XP OEM CD.

Do the Repair Install, you may have to call M$ (Bangalore) for an activation key.
Have you XP Product Key ready…find the sticker on your box.

If done correctly, this will work.

If you have questions about “Repair Install”, post back and someone will help you. It can be screwed up if the wrong buttons are pushed.

I have the same t3302… My hard drive just decides to burn up after about 1 year of owning… Compleat bs… Ill never buy a emachine again… There junk…

So because of that, I lost the recovery partiction… The partiction has all the main drivers and all the software… The recovery cd is just a plain copy of windows with nothing… So i had to get all the drivers and everything cuz it ran like shit… Still will never get all the programs that was on the partiction… And i still think it dont run like it first did…

I left my recovery cd at a friends house about 1 year later and decided i was just gonna put a copy of windows xp that i had on another cd… It worked but if i recall it fucked up a few times and other times it goes all the way threw…

So the awnser is yes… But you will have to install all the drivers by your self…

Emachines is trash computers… Thats probly why they changed there name from gateway?.. Ether way i will never get another emachines…

Ok, Ok! perhaps the OP got the (emachine is crap)memo by now,and purchased a new rig…