EliteBytes Big Spring Software Update 2015

vbimport

Once again it´s time for our big spring update !
We have brand new Updates for:
VeloSSD, MaxVeloSSD and VeloRAM.
And will post here in the 1st March Week 2015.

Including:
-a new Chart Control that accurately & beautifully displays IOPS/MBPS with
Cache hit/miss. Export of Data is possible in XML Format.
-Load Folder feature, specify or drop a folder and it will be
loaded into the Cache.
Gamers interested ? -Its good for all users I think.

-removed a CPU Honk / Hog in VeloRAM & MaxVeloSSD in
rare conditions killed 1 Core for seconds.
That´s probably the biggest Bug fix in this Update.

-numerous betterings in application and driver
-updates manuals

Can’t wait … :slight_smile:
If you still release this week, will there be someone at the office this weekend to reset the serials for the update ? Maybe if it’s anyway necessary for the update, all serials should be reset ?
If not then maybe it’s better to wait until next week for the release, it could be frustrating if I have the software but cannot install it.

Big Spring Software Update 2015

Numerous small fixings and betterings.
Cache Upload feature, inkl drag/drop and context menu
Cache Performance Charts
Runs definitely again on XP and Win10
Software Raid Cache Support overworked
( for instance: use 2 SSD´s as 1 Volume )
Manual extended. ( English Version only )

Primary:
downloads.maxvelossd.com/VeloSSD 2.1.1.0 Setup.exe
downloads.maxvelossd.com/VeloRAM 2.4.0.4 Setup.exe
downloads.maxvelossd.com/MaxVeloSSD 2.3.1.5 Setup.exe

Secondary:
www.elitebytes.com/downloads/MaxVeloSSD 2.3.1.5 Setup.exe
www.elitebytes.com/downloads/VeloRAM 2.4.0.4 Setup.exe
www.elitebytes.com/downloads/VeloSSD 2.1.1.0 Setup.exe

What will we do next ?
Of course maintain the VeloXXX Product Line.
Of course Product Research for modern Storage / caching Products.
Very likely also Cloud Cache, like a 4 tiered Storage caching Software Product.

tier 1: RAM ( very Hot)
tier 2:SSD ( Hot)
tier 3:HDD ( Warm)
tier 4:LAN / Cloud / WAN ( Cold )

We hope to have a proove of concept very soon, and are
looking forward to post it in this forum.

Thanks,
Bodo

Great updates. Unfortunately…

• Dowloaded standard VeloSSD from the site. Got debugging messages in German.

• Used Velo’s Update button and got another version without the messages. Velo offered to install it but failed. “Please uninstall the previous version first”.

• Uninstalled and installed latest version. Impossible to activate. Put my license number on the clipboard. Opened the registration e-mail. Put the e-mail onto the clipboard. Standard response: cannot register trial license. The Velo site shows my license activated. What else can I do to register the latest version? Buy a new license? If so, OK but please inform your users beforehand.

Tried MaxVeloSSD Trial. Latest version from the site. Again, update from within Velo to the latest-latest version. Impossible to install. “Could not load driver”. After manually removing the MaxVeloSSD keys (including the locked one) and rebooting, still no cigar.

Installing and/or activating the latest versions is impossible. [B]Unmöglich![/B] At least for ordinary users who don’t have the source code to figure out what to do. Please provide clear diagnostic messages about the problem, and how to solve it.

Being a programmer myself, I can fully understand what’s going on in the VeloSSD development room. LOL. Guys, please fix these minor issues.
Thanks.

[QUOTE=Wdo;2749481]

• Got debugging messages in German.[/QUOTE]

I have the same issue with MaxVeloSSD…

[QUOTE=Wdo;2749481]- Used Velo’s Update button and got another version without the messages. Velo offered to install it but failed. “Please uninstall the previous version first”.
[/QUOTE]

Again almost the same…

Some other issues :
After the uninstall of 2.3.1.2,I started 2.3.1.5 setup in English,but MaxVeloSSD ignored it and installed in my OS language anyway,however, it was a poor attempt (automatic translation engine,instead of human translators?),the Dutch interface was much more difficult to read than English,even for native Dutch speaking people…:bigsmile:
After installation,2.3.1.5 showed a message to update to 2.3.1.6,which I tried,but everytime 2.3.1.2 was downloaded instead,and when I tried to download manually on my account at their webpage,the description still shows 2.3.1.2,but I could download 2.3.1.5,both on the primary and secondary downloadlink,however,no 2.3.1.6…:eek::eek:
But the activation for my manually updated 2.3.1.5 went fine…:wink:

Further to my previous post: before I started experimenting with those updates yesterday morning, my system crashed at first boot with a SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (VeloSSDd.sys) BSOD. Fascinating, is this pure co-incidence or is there a relationship with the appearance of updates the same day?

My partition was unbootable. I offline removed the VeloSSDd.sys driver from the crashed system’s registry, as well as all (boot) references to the driver, to VeloSSD and to elitebytes. There were no traces of VeloSSD on the system anymore. Still, it crashed with the same message.

Even replacing the hidden Windows partitions with “clean” ones from before the Velo days didn’t work. Neither did restoring a full, known good image which had worked before. This leads me to believe that there is a secret boot procure hidden somewhere on the disk.

Only restoring a full image without Velo worked. I could easily live with that and re-install VeloSSD. Yet I won’t. VeloSSD effectively hijacks my system and like a virus, it resists all attempts to get rid of it. This should normally not be a problem. Yet it is fatal when VeloSSD persistently keeps crashing, preventing the system from booting and even preventing repairs. I have no time to randomly get stuck with an unbootable system and no possibility to repair. My image backups are useless.

I can fully understand that such a highly complex product like VeloSSD can run into trouble on some systems. I can live with that. But Elitebytes should at least make it possible to get a crashed system working again by restoring a full image backup. Because in the Windows world, things tend to crash.

Thank you for your attention.

Edit to my previous post. I couldn’t resist and installed VeloSSD 2.1.1.0 Personal on a fresh system. It activated instantly and it’s running again. I hope this version is stable. Because somehow, VeloSSD is magic. Keep up the good work. Grüß!
:iagree:

[QUOTE=Wdo;2749542] I couldn’t resist and installed VeloSSD 2.1.1.0 Personal on a fresh system. It activated instantly and it’s running again.[/QUOTE] You’re Lucky, mine also activated but I cannot recreate the cache because it’s complaining “trial period is over”. Only problem, it’s not a trial serial…

Seems that the program’s update linkage to the webpage is seriously messed up…

Server Error in ‘/’ Application.
The resource cannot be found.
Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Requested URL: /UpdateMaxVeloSSD.aspx

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.34237

Well I wanted to get velossd performance back, once you tryed it it’s difficult to work without … :o

So, I gambled and reinstalled with my second serial … bad luck now I have two screwed serials with the “Trial period is over” error ! :a

Alan, you said support is great, but I have no answer on this issue from velossd support. :sad: I sent them the two config files for each serial, can you please get in touch with them and tell them to look at the problem ? :bow:

Thanks
Chris

EliteBytes support did reset my serial, but they didn’t provide a solution, so I was still stuck with the “trial period is over” when I got an idea.

I closed my session and switched to my wife’s account, and you know what ? Using my wife’s account on the same machine I could create the cache !

Conclusion ? If you have problems like me something is wrong with your profile, create a new user and activate the software with the new user.

Just hoping it’ll still work when I switch back to my own user :doh:

[QUOTE=wchris;2749957]EliteBytes support did reset my serial, but they didn’t provide a solution, so I was still stuck with the “trial period is over” when I got an idea.

I closed my session and switched to my wife’s account, and you know what ? Using my wife’s account on the same machine I could create the cache !

Conclusion ? If you have problems like me something is wrong with your profile, create a new user and activate the software with the new user.

Just hoping it’ll still work when I switch back to my own user :doh:[/QUOTE]

Interesting. It could be a Windows permission issue. The Velo GUI reads the license file from C:\ProgramData\VeloSSD\VeloSSD.config, using the current user’s permission. Maybe your wife’s account has permission to read this file and you have not. Velo then defaults to the trial license, which of course has expired.

First, make a backup copy of the C:\ProgramData\VeloSSD\VeloSSD.config file. This file contains your license. If things go wrong, copy this file back. If the copy fails, try again under your wife’s account.

Try right-clicking the VeloSSD.config file and check permissions via Properties-Security. If you have enough permission to change the permissions (…pardon my computer geek speak…) you can allow yourself (and the Velo GUI) Read + Write access. If not, try it via your wife’s account. Reboot and try again under your own account. The Velo GUI should now be able to read the license and tell you it’s activated.

Tricky business, this. EliteBytes’ dilemma is of course: what to do when a user has no permission to read the license file. Deny access, or fake a trial license. Personally I think it should deny access and provide a clear message explaining the issue. The way it works now users will mess with the permissions, which is an undesirable situation.

[QUOTE=Wdo;2749958]Interesting. It could be a Windows permission issue. .[/QUOTE]

I doubt it’s a permission issue, because when I install with my user I have all permissions since I’m the creator of the file. Also if you try setting the file as read-only velossd will complain with a message.

Velossd now works with both users, it was just creating the cache that was wrongly checking the trial status, once created it’s ok, but I don’t trust the gui anymore and have removed it from autostart. Obviously it’s not the same person that wrote the gui and the cache drivers. :confused:

Anyway, when it installs correctly, the performance is amazing. I have even the feeling it’s faster than previous version. Imagine, my XP machine powered by an Athlon XP 2600+ starts to reactive desktop in 35 seconds and loads avast after 45 seconds to full ready state. (If you can imagine how slow an XP 2600+ is).
To compare, my Core 2 quad Q6600 under windows seven (without a ssd) takes 1m26 seconds to boot to reactive desktop ! :bow:

[QUOTE=wchris;2749959]I doubt it’s a permission issue, because when I install with my user I have all permissions since I’m the creator of the file. Also if you try setting the file as read-only velossd will complain with a message.
… [snip][/QUOTE]

Great that you took the trouble to investigate and found a solution. Indeed VeloSSD is very fast. My AMD A10-5800K running Windows 8.1 @4.4 GHz from a spinning disk is fully running in 10 seconds. Without Velo, it takes minutes rather than seconds. VeloSSD is a truly amazing product for only $9.99. :iagree:

Those guys offer great products…it’s just their activation scheme I’m not very fond of…:wink:
While I totally understand that the team wants to protect their intellectual property against piracy,software that has such an impact on the OS and hardware performance/behavior should be easier to maintain by the enduser…