ElbyCheck and NeroCheck

vbimport

When I browsed through msconfig I found these two programs…
So what do they do?
I don’t like having programs I don’t know of… :slight_smile:

Nerocheck is used for burning with Administrator rights in Win 2 K,Elby Check for checking the CD-ROM class filter drivers on every login (Windows 2000/XP).
:slight_smile:

Thanks!
I’ll let them be where they are then… :slight_smile:

i checked into this some time ago and never got an answer that i could understand.

i did find the following:

The file [nerocheck.exe] is there to create or alter the lowerfilters key in the registry’s HKLM\system section. The latest version of InCD (3.20) runs it at install time, renaming the original lowerfilters key “lowerfilters_1” (which renders it useless) and installing a new one with just InCD’s driver, blowing away the entries for any other burning softwares ASPI drivers. I suppose this is one way to make sure it works and doesn’t blue screen people, but it sure screws with other programs.

i have no idea if this is correct, but it sounds good. people seem to disable nerocheck without any problem.

modred

That hasn’t been my experience. I have Nero 6, InCD, Burnatonce installed, and they work fine. NeroCheck has not modified my ASPI layers—I’m not sure why you think that’s happening on your system.

CD-burning is complicated. It’s just not a good idea to have multiple CD-burning drivers on one system anyway. How many burning apps do you need on one system? It’s much better to keep things simple and assure good results.

There’s nothing wrong with NeroCheck. It just does a quick check for driver-compatibility, in case you’ve installed anything since your Nero install that could interfere with Nero’s CD writing.

I used to deactivate NeroCheck, and couldn’t understand why I got an error message every time I ran Nero. All I had to do was dismiss the error and Nero ran okay, but it was a hassle. However, other people may end up with more serious conflicts that could really be a pain to analyze.

The problem is that so many apps install unnecessary processes that we’ve become paranoid about them. I remove all startups and processes that are truly unnecessary.

However, I recommend you leave NeroCheck alone. It doesn’t stay in memory—it just does its thing, quickly, then exits—and it really can help you avoid problems. Here’s what the publisher of WinTasks (an excellent security program; see http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary) has to say about it:

> nerocheck.exe is a process associated the with Nero CD writing software.
> It is used to install or control the Nero driver nerocd2k.sys application.
> This process should not be removed while using the Nero CD Writing software.

(Oh, and I know this thread is two years old—but other members may wonder about this issue.)