ElbyCDIO.sys misbehaving?

I’ve had and used AnyDVD for the better part of a year without incident. Recently I updated it with SetupAnyDVD6522.exe from SlySoft following automated notification by SlySoft.

Prevx Edge v3.0, one of my real-time antimalware utilities interrupted the installation, flagging ElbyCDIO.sys in C\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ElbyCDIO.sys as a high level threat, stating: “it is highly recommended that you block this threat”.

After Googling the issue and corresponding with SlySoft I came around to their way of thinking, that it was a false-positive signature and to ignore it. So, after PrevxEdge (expectedly) slammed the brakes on my re-installation of SlySoft’s update I had to add a little override script to PrevxEdge, telling it to chill on this ElbyCDIO.sys driver and consequent *.dll file.

So here’s my problem. SlySoft is blaming Prevx who is blaming SlySoft. Here goes:

1. my computer requires three attempts to boot into Windows. No more, no less. Three. Exactly three.I’m sorry; it’s Windows XP SP3 that is up-to-date. My system hangs on the execution of the background start-ups toward the tail end of the boot with a near-complete appearing Windows screen frozen with the hourglass instead of the cursor.
  2. logic tells me that it has to do with the order that the applications and their processes are being initiated (if that’s the correct word). Otherwise, why would it fail to boot religiously on attempts #1 and #2, then succeed on number three. Something is moving up or down in the que until it no longer presents a conflict.

My relevant start-ups are as follows:

1. AnyDVD
  2. PrevxEdge antimalware
  3. eset NOD32 antivirus
  4. Malwarebytes’ antimalware

My thought is to somehow force Windows to control the order of the start-up sequence so that AnyDVD is executed last as my problems all started with their ElbyCDIO.sys driver. Does this reasoning of mine make sense?

Thoughts?

BTW, would anyone know how to control the order of start-ups during Windows boot sequence?

Thank you for bearing with me and reading this long diatribe.

Put this way your AV scanner seriously need to be updated and Slysoft programs aren’t virus or malware. Most if not all the people who use it can atest to this. The program is a fine written program and updated regularly and for a program to flag it as something else indicates the scanner lacks update or a better scanner needs to be installed. What other Slysoft programs do you have installed? I still think you need a better scanner. IMO Plus you have to many malware running on bootup it seems not a good thing programs will cause conflicts if they are trying to do the same scans.

In protecting people sometimes AV software finds legitimate software to be “bad”. There isn’t anything bad about AnyDVD if it was downloaded from Slysoft’s servers. When this happens you should contact your AV vendor and send them a file to analyze for themselves so they can take the proper steps to update their software to better protect their customers without causing a problem with legitimate and safe software.

[B]DrinkLyeAndDie[/B] and [B]coolcolors[/B], thanks for taking the time to write.

I’ve forwarded the log to [B]Prevx[/B], as advised. Is there any reason not to take [B]AnyDVD[/B] off of [I]autostart[/I] by unticking [I]Program Settings > Autostart[/I]? That solves my startup problems, but will it change the program’s function (aside from having to manually start the program when I want to use it)?

I figured that it was something to do with the ElbyCDIO.sys [I]behavior[/I] that was tripping [B]Prevx[/B] as it was the [I]heuristics[/I] that flagged the driver. Does [B]AnyDVD[/B] do anything legitimate (dll injection) that might be misinterpreted? I ask because of ElbyCDIO.dll. Here’s someone who had a similar dilemma with [B]CloneDVD[/B]:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f74/elbycdio-not-installing-144756/
which I also own, but have been using [B]ImgBrn[/B] since I got my dual layer Pioneer 216s (I know - late to the party).

FWIW, I purchased both from SlySoft.com - they aren’t cracked.

[QUOTE=LowWaterMark;2214160][B]DrinkLyeAndDie[/B] and [B]coolcolors[/B], thanks for taking the time to write.

I’ve forwarded the log to [B]Prevx[/B], as advised. Is there any reason not to take [B]AnyDVD[/B] off of [I]autostart[/I] by unticking [I]Program Settings > Autostart[/I]? That solves my startup problems, but will it change the program’s function (aside from having to manually start the program when I want to use it)?[/QUOTE]

Reason you want to uncheck the autostart isn’t a good thing to do unless you have another burner program like DVDfab plat or Imgburn. Those two programs don’t run properly with Anydvd running. But other then that it does no harm running in your taskbar. What it does allow you do to is play any Region dvd media on your PC without setting the region on your burner and decrypt any DVD movie at the same time. Otherwise you will have to run Anydvd everytime you want to burn cause without it running it will not decrypt the DVD thus you won’t be able to backup the DVD movie. Also it helps that you with it running you don’t need a expensive HD video card to play HD videos that a big plus for Anydvd.

Can you explain something - what’s wrong with [B]AnyDVD[/B] running simultaneously with [B]ImgBrn[/B]? That’s my current setup so I’m curious. [B]AnyDVD[/B] is down in the system tray, autostart enabled and I’m using [B]ImgBurn[/B] without first disabling [B]AnyDVD[/B].

Am I in for trouble?