EISA Partition

Hi there

In the past I have been fairly competent in managing partitions, (bad experiences have taught me well!!). As it’s been a few years since building a pc etc… I need a bit of advice on a laptop upgrade.
My current Acer Laptop has an 80gb HDD split into 3 partitions,

8GB EISA partition with no letter (recovery drive)
33GB C Drive or Primary partition
33GB D Drive

I’m going to upgrade this to a 320gb drive, and have got an external USB connector to access the new drive for cloning etc…
I am intending to split the partitions with an aim to keeping the recovery drive (just in case) so the theory is 1x EISA partition 8GB and 2 x partitions of 150GB or there abouts.

So now for the questions I suppose,

Is this the best way to split the drive?
Would I do the partitioning prior to cloning?
Is cloning the best way to do it?

Thanks
Rich

[QUOTE=i_hawk;2208838]

Is this the best way to split the drive?
Would I do the partitioning prior to cloning?
Is cloning the best way to do it?

Thanks
Rich[/QUOTE]

Not sure about it being the “best” way but if that is what you want to do, fine. I alway partition and format before installing anything but that’s just my personal preference, it lets me know that everything is hooked up correctly and that the drives will at least format. I suppose cloning would be the correct choice if you want to keep your system disk intact. I use Gparted to do the partitioning and it has Copy/Move options which might work for your. Diskpart is a windows partitioning tool that comes with Vista but you can download it for XP/W2000 if you prefer MS software. Gparted is an iso that has to be burned to CD and is bootable.