Eh55 - hd - u61

vbimport

Hi,
My EH55 has a problem with HD recording. 15-12hrs (SP mode) before the end of HD capacity recorder stops and U61 appears. There is also the place on HD, where recordings aren’t played properly and copying isn’t possible.
HD needs to be formated. Is the format from user menu enough? I think it’s a “fast format” procedure while the “full format” or even low-level format may be needed. What do You think about?
AK.

[QUOTE=AlKwas;2516420]Hi,
My EH55 has a problem with HD recording. 15-12hrs (SP mode) before the end of HD capacity recorder stops and U61 appears. There is also the place on HD, where recordings aren’t played properly and copying isn’t possible.
HD needs to be formated. Is the format from user menu enough? I think it’s a “fast format” procedure while the “full format” or even low-level format may be needed. What do You think about?
AK.[/QUOTE]

There are many problems that may appear when a hard drive is approaching its capacity. While I don’t have any Panasonic hard drive recorders (I have five Magnavox and two Philips HDD/DVD recorders) I’ve read enough AVS Forum discussions concerning the Panasonic HDD models (and, of course the Magnavox and Philips HDD models) that it is my practice to [B]keep hard drive contents below 85% of capacity in order to avoid complications.[/B] (Some time back I allowed my Philips 3576 hard drive to get so full that it showed 17 minutes of open space at LP! Fortunately, there were no complications but I immediately started dumping unessential material and following that there was quite an editing session followed by high-speed dubbing sessions where the “keepers” were dubbed to DVDs. It’s now my practice to keep at least 40 hours of free hard drive space on all my Magnavox and Philips HDD models.)

[B]The Panasonic U61 error is specifically related to DVD Drive operation.[/B] While the U61 error may appear due to [B]general operational situations[/B], there may only be an [B]indirect relation [/B]to hard drive condition or perhaps the U61 error is only [B]coincidental[/B] to hard drive problems with your DMR-EH55. [B]With such errors as U61, U88 and U99 there may be problems related to use of inferior media, an overdue DVD Drive lens and hub/spindle cleaning, laser assembly condition, problematic ribbon cable contacts or a problematic Digital PCB.[/B]

Yes, you need to free up hard drive space or perhaps reformat the hard or even replace the hard drive if there are too many bad sectors. See the detailed discussions among owners of Panasonic HDD equipped recorders at the AVS Forum.

There are also many detailed, ongoing AVS discussions of various general Panasonic service, repair/rebuilding procedures (many of these [I]illustrated tutorials[/I] I’ve contributed under my DigaDo identity). Existing AVS service discussions are frequently revised to include additional, corrected or updated information.

[B]Ongoing revision is not available at MyCE, a serious drawback when errors or misinformation become “set in stone.”[/B]

If browsing at the AVS Forum be sure to set the display/search option back more than thirty days in order to find relevant Panasonic HDD or general service discussions.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=106

Thank You for answer and link.

1. There is 12-15hrs of free space in SP mode. It isn’t close to the capacity of HD. My Samsung SH855M records properly up to the last second.
  2. When free space on HD decreases below 15 hrs the U61 error appears every time. When free space is larger then 15hrs the U61 error never occurs. It isn’t coincidence.
  3. I think the U61 error is related to both DVD and HD drives operation, but the defects of dvd-drives are more frequent.
    Regards,
    AK