EFF: Microsoft doesn’t offer Windows 10 users choice and privacy

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: EFF: Microsoft doesn’t offer Windows 10 users choice and privacy[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2015/10/windows-10-reservation-install-95x75.png[/newsimage]

Microsoft’s tactics to get Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users to upgrade to Windows 10 went from annoying to downright malicious, according to the Electronic Frontier Foundation in a blogpost. According to the EFF the release of the Windows 10 Anniversary Update is an opportunity to write down their concerns about Windows 10 and how Microsoft doesn’t offer users choice and privacy.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/eff-microsoft-doesnt-offer-windows-10-users-choice-privacy-80234/](http://www.myce.com/news/eff-microsoft-doesnt-offer-windows-10-users-choice-privacy-80234/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Good thing it’s not annoying - I’ll stick with Windows 7 until Windows 2016 comes around and hopefully by that time MS learns to listen not think they listened. :stuck_out_tongue: If not you will have to take it from my dead cold hands… :flower:

That would equal Microsoft Server 2016 which is out :flower:

You are awaiting Windows 10 Tombstone which follows after Windows 10 Yellowstone, Windows 10 Bluestone and Windows 10 Stoned

the more i read and hear about Windows 10 and Microsoft, the more thankful i am i didn’t upgrade to it and the more untrustworthy i think Microsoft has become. i am convinced it has done a deal with the devil(s), in the shape of just about every security service in the USA, UK and many other countries. to hear some of the things that customers are having to give up just to be able to use windows 10 is disgraceful! the loss of privacy and freedom of choice is disgraceful and the way Microsoft is now going to force updates to other Windows O/S is as bad! i bought my machine and Windows. it should be up to me what updates i install or dont, and definitely should not be penalised if i dont want to do what Microsft and whoever it has gone in cahoots with, that should be my choice! neither Microsoft nor any other organisation is going to be shelling out compensation to people who have their machines hacked, just because they are prevented from encrypting their files or HDDs. when the bank tells the customer that someone has gotten their account info and they have been cleaned out, everyone who ordered this non-encryption and backdoors built in will just turn their backs and leave the people to try to pick up the pieces!! disgusting way to react, but, in my opinion, something that the security services and certain companies, on orders of certain industries on the west coast have been after for a long time and it has absolutely nothing to do with preventing terrorism!!!

^
You know, most people really don’t care. I speak to younger people and they couldn’t care less (although they do use O&O ShutUp 10 after I tell them). Older people do not care, and the rest in between really doesn’t care either.

I am all about privacy and security, have a double telemetry block, FQDN and IP fighting Windows 10 from within. Since most people shrug their shoulders saying they ain’t got nothing to hide from a personal view, we are a minority who see the principal questions.
In other words, as long as it easy to spread the personal ‘I ain’t got noting to hide’ message (which is true for most of us) and hard to spread the principal question of what is acceptable levels, they can for the most go on about it as they wish, sadly.

In other words, as long as it easy to spread the personal ‘I ain’t got noting to hide’ message (which is true for most of us) and hard to spread the principal question of what is acceptable levels, they can for the most go on about it as they wish, sadly.

How sad and true at the same time, I guess we will have to get use to it sooner or later,it’s not going to change for the better

[QUOTE=bean55;2779607]How sad and true at the same time, I guess we will have to get use to it sooner or later,it’s not going to change for the better[/QUOTE]

It may seem hopeless, but I choose to fight windmills on this… Telling people who don’t want to listen of the necessity of privacy on a principal and general level. Tell them that regardless of if we have something to hide or not, this change is not going to serve us for the better. The future prospect and possible consequences of it all unless we take part in it (I will not spread general FUD, but it is bad).
I ain’t got nothing to hide, but this is not about me, it is about us.

I ain’t got nothing to hide, but this is not about me, it is about us.

I agree fully, it’s the principle of the thing that really bites me

:iagree: While kevpc seems to think he gets away with simply not installing Windows 10, this is way beyond OS already. It is all around us from shopping malls to central areas of most cities to Facebook and Google or the internet itself.
I will happily embrace any new technology to come and it seems I will never stop doing that, just as I never will stop fighting for my right to privacy.

The difference compared to many is that I am idiot enough to not distance myself but do it from within… I simply can’t see how I can accumulate knowledge otherwise.

just to be clear, Xercus, i dont think for 1 sec i get away with anything by not installing Windows 10, other than being one of those who wont do exactly what Microsuck says and thinks it is entitled to force on to us because it hasn’t got any scruples and no balls to stand against those that want it to make surveillance on ordinary people as easy as can be! also, those that want this have forgotten what happened in places like Russia when everyone was under the cosh and scared to be caught doing or saying what wasn’t wanted to be said by the ‘leaders’, or in Germany when it was the same just before WWII. eventually it comes back and bites them in the arse! the problem is, those who want this then crap backwards because they dont want to get caught and if/when they are are so scared they deny everything about it in typical bully boy fashion! however, the damage has already been done then and it takes generations to put it right! why the hell anyone in their right mind can want this sort of thing in the first place and even worse, how the hell anyone else can be convinced that it’s the right road to go down is totally beyond me!
the fact that everywhere we go, everything we look at, everything we read, everything we say and everything we hear is logged and held ready to condemn as many as possible and throw them into prison. and the crime? wanting to have and keep the two things that everyone is entitled to, Privacy and Freedom! and it’s only the rich and the famous who want to remain like that who want it to be different! and it all stems, in this instance at any rate, from a purposefully engineered Financial crash instigated by the banks, that all went tits up! even now, they are forcing things back to exactly how they were prior to that, where the rich are given plenty of ways of getting more money while the lesser mortals, us, are getting charged hand over fist for whatever we want/need and given nothing in return and kept from finding out what those others are up to!!

[QUOTE=Xercus;2779608]I ain’t got nothing to hide, but this is not about me, it is about us.[/QUOTE]

Why privacy matters

Over the last 16 months, as I’ve debated this issue around the world, every single time somebody has said to me, “I don’t really worry about invasions of privacy because I don’t have anything to hide.”

I always say the same thing to them. I get out a pen, I write down my email address. I say, "Here’s my email address. What I want you to do when you get home is email me the passwords to all of your email accounts, not just the nice, respectable work one in your name, but all of them, because I want to be able to just troll through what it is you’re doing online, read what I want to read and publish whatever I find interesting.

After all, if you’re not a bad person, if you’re doing nothing wrong, you should have nothing to hide."

Not a single person has taken me up on that offer.

You all have plenty to hide and that’s a very good thing! :bow:

^
On that note, I’ve often been tempted to say something along the lines of “can I watch you use the bathroom? What do you mean ‘no’? It’s not like you have anything to hide!” The only reason why I haven’t said that is that it’s just too creepy. Someone would call the cops for sure. I know I would!

It also needs to be straightforward in separating security updates from operating system upgrades going forward, and not try to bypass user choice and privacy expectations. Otherwise it will face backlash in the form of individual lawsuits, state attorney general investigations, and government investigations.”
I could see a class-action lawsuit or two, but that’s it. State attorney generals and government law enforcers aren’t likely to investigate Microsoft at all. If anything, they’re probably the ones pulling Microsoft’s strings. They’d probably be more likely to press charges if Microsoft [I]didn’t[/I] spy on it’s own users. Also, the post-SOPA MPAA/state attorney general vs Google incident proves that there is a such thing as bribery in law enforcement.

Windows has been malware in my book for years. However, it has become more malicious than ever before. If there were ever a time to stop using it, it would be now. So let’s stop using it. There are other operating systems, such as MacOS, *BSD, GNU/Linux, ReactOS, Solaris, Illumos, and others we all can switch to. Yes, switching to a new OS is hard, but it has never been more necessary. If you really, really, [B]REALLY[/B] value your freedom, you should use an OS that has no proprietary software, such as Trisquel GNU/Linux. However, IMHO, anything is better than Windows right now (except maybe Chrome/Chromium OS).

I have my original win7 ultimate box with it’s AMD hex core beside my new I7 hex core just for anything that will not run on 10.
So far except for persistent video driver issues where it sits there a while after waking up then finally resets the driver it’s been fine and even the hacked media center from 8.1 still works so almost no reason to keep the other box other then a backup now.
I think if my mother board and video card were newer maybe the driver issue would be fixed but don’t know. It is a known problem and there are work around that help.
If your 7 box works OK for everything you need stick with it. If you want 10 build a new box like I did then at least if everything goes south or you just hate it you have your old setup to go back to without any issues.
Both of my boxes sleep when not being used to save power and that also seems to work fine and keeps it a bit cooler in the computer room too.
Might eventually buy or build a dedicated mini HTPC to do what I do now with the monster as most everything else I can do with a high end tablet and android pretty well. Haven’t loaded any games lately but that is one other area the monster excels at.
Haven’t bothered with all the security stuff as I shut off as much as I easily could but may add it later if it becomes a issue as I think I have a pretty good firewall program setup.