Eeprom dump for Slimtype DS-8A4SH

vbimport

Hello guys, greetings to all (forgive my English).
I have a problem with my writer Slimtype DS-8A4SH that after flashing a modified firmware with MediaCodeSpeedEdit … it was dead!
I was able to retrieve it via DOS (I had saved the dump of the firmware and eeprom) but now even if it seems to work and is recognized by Windows … no longer sees no support! the laser search, the spin works … but it stops after 2 seconds and did not see any kind of support.
I doubt that the dump of EEPROM is not correct!

Does anyone have the eeprom dump for Slimtype DS-8A4SH for firmware CA11? or dump eeprom for firmware JC21?

PS. I wanted to try to flash it with a stock firmware, but the only one I found (JD12WIN.EXE DELL) I do not accept the update (my recorder is Acer).

Thanks to all.

First of all, as you’ve seen the hard way, MCSE doesn’t support this drive, so you should not meddle with it.

Secondly, what makes you think that flashing another EEPROM file will cure your drive?

Unlike firmwares, the EEPROM of each drive is unique (contains unique factory calibration data), so flashing another drive’s EEPROM is risky and the drive might not work very well as a result. It is always a matter of last resort. Besides, if you already have an EEPROM dump of your drive (made before you miss-flashed it) then it would be quite unlikely that your EEPROM dump is somehow corrupt, particularly since the EEPROM Utility has let you flash it back…

Anyway, here’s a good CA11 dump and also an EEPROM dump from a CA11 drive as well: http://www73.zippyshare.com/v/8872181/file.html

Try flashing CA11 again using the Firmware Utility. Restart your machine. If your drive still doesn’t work, then try flashing the EEPROM next. I guess you’ve got nothing to lose at that stage. Restart again. If the drive still doesn’t work, then I guess its bricked. I can’t see what else you could do … you could try crossflashing to other OEM firmwares, but I doubt it will make any difference.

Report back and if its still a no go, I’ll let you have some OEM firmwares which you could try.

Thank you so much for your reply, and thanks for the dump.
Maybe I understand the problem. From a comparison made ​​with WinHeh, I saw that the eeprom is not written correctly! from offset 0x0400 to 0x0500 not writing!
This is the report of winhex: http://www72.zippyshare.com/v/85719899/file.html

This is my eeprom dump (done when the recorder was working properly) : http://www51.zippyshare.com/v/93604907/file.html

Now, however, I try to do as you have kindly suggested to me and then I know, a greeting.

Thank you.

I tried to flash the firmware, rebooted and nothing … does not work.
Tried to flash the eeprom and nothing!
Unfortunately, the EEPROM is not written correctly, I tried both with “Eeprom Utility 6:20” and with “LtnFlash2.6.11” … but same result! from offset 0x0400 to 0x0500 (more than two lines of code at the end of the file) is not written correctly.

There are other ways to write the eeprom? Thank you.

[QUOTE=jonnybsat;2726205]
Unfortunately, the EEPROM is not written correctly, I tried both with “Eeprom Utility 6:20” and with “LtnFlash2.6.11” … but same result! from offset 0x0400 to 0x0500 (more than two lines of code at the end of the file) is not written correctly.

There are other ways to write the eeprom? Thank you.[/QUOTE]

Strange … unfortunately there are no other tools to do that … besides, my guess is that the issue is drive related not tool related … somehow the drive refuses to flash that area …

Try the repair checksum option to see if that makes any difference or not…

I tried in all ways … nothing! the EEPROM is not spelled correctly.
The chipset is: MT1879LE
Maybe there is a point in the pcb (TP) from to ground to properly write the eeprom.

Reair chechsum teels me “no problem in the eeprom”.

[QUOTE=jonnybsat;2726216]I tried in all ways … nothing! the EEPROM is not spelled correctly.
The chipset is: MT1879LE
Maybe there is a point in the pcb (TP) from to ground to properly write the eeprom.

Reair chechsum teels me “no problem in the eeprom”.[/QUOTE]

No, there is no such thing… the tools are able to properly write the EEPROM without requiring any PCB intervention. If they fail, it must be an issue with the drive itself not with the tools. I guess the only way to force flash it would be to de-solder the EEPROM chip, program it externally using an EEPROM programmer and then solder it back, but frankly it is not worth the pain, not to mention that you have to have the tools and the know how to do it. You can buy a DS-8A4SH replacement (or better still a newer model than ‘4’) from eBay quite easily for less than £10.

I would try to flash with the stock flasher, but I can not find anyone! is there a way to force the DELL flasher JD12WIN.EXE?

Example: force flash of Toshiba/Samsung drive use -Nocheck parameter

[QUOTE=jonnybsat;2726241]I would try to flash with the stock flasher, but I can not find anyone! is there a way to force the DELL flasher JD12WIN.EXE?

Example: force flash of Toshiba/Samsung drive use -Nocheck parameter[/QUOTE]

No it is not possible. However what it is possible to do is to flash a LiteON *.bin firmware (such as a firmware dump) by using any ‘unlocked’ official LiteON firmware update file (even one which is normally meant for a completely different drive) in ‘stand alone mode’. This type of flashing method is what we refer to as flashing a binary firmware using the “unlocked flasher method”.

You could use this “unlocked flasher method” to flash the CA11 firmware dump using an official LiteOn flasher. It just happens that the JD12 flasher is unlocked so you can use that one as your ‘unlocked flasher’. Basically what you have to do is to right click on the CA11 *.bin dump and click copy, then right click on the JD12 *.exe flasher and select paste. Make sure that the proper drive is selected in the drop down list and then go ahead with the flash. That should flash the CA11 firmware using the JD12 flasher in stand alone mode.

I don’t think this will make any difference at all, if your problem is the EEPROM, but you could give it a try. You can only flash *.bin firmwares this way, you cannot flash EEPROM files this way.

I have pulled together the various DS-8A4S and DS-8A4SH firmwares I have, and you can download the pack from here: http://www72.zippyshare.com/v/76174649/file.html

The pack contains the following firmware files:

• DS-8A4S_JC21_dump.bin
  • DS-8A4S_JA22_dump.bin
  • DS-8A4S_JD12.exe
  • DS-8A4S_JP5B.exe
  • DS-8A4SH_CA91_dump.bin
  • DS-8A4SH_CP5B.exe

I don’t have *.bin files for the JD12, JP5B and CP5B firmwares, but I’m sure [I]blackened2687[/I] can extract these for us from the above LiteOn flashers if we ask nicely :slight_smile:

Thank you so much, you’re very helpful.
Unfortunately, I’ve tried everything … but does not want to work! if the EEPROM was mounted in the pcb would be able (just for fun) to remove it and reprogram it. But it is inside the chipset … so … I give up.
It burns me a little '… because I usually have a hard head …
It also seems strange that a few lines of code not written correctly, do not read anything!
Mystery.
Thank you again, and thanks to all the forum (which I will continue to attend :clap:).

Ripped *.BIN files from JD12, CP5B and JP5B flashers:

maybe will be useful for someone…

[QUOTE=blackened2687;2726321]Ripped *.BIN files from JD12, CP5B and JP5B flashers:

maybe will be useful for someone…[/QUOTE]

Thank you! :flower:

Nothing! tried all the firmware … something prevents write eeprom from 00400 to 00500!

I’m still here :stuck_out_tongue: , I tried to search the datasheet for the mt1879le chipset, but I have not found anything! I’m thinking of a eeprom programming through the pins of the chipset with external programmer (I have several). Does anyone by chance have any information? Thank you.

PS. I know it would be better to buy another burner, but I can not give up … is stronger than me :bigsmile:

I want the datasheet, too. :doh:

It seems datasheets for this kind of ICs is available only for hardware manufacturers :frowning:

DS8A4SH_PACK ( included Acer )

[QUOTE=pompivientreflor;2749578]DS8A4SH_PACK ( included Acer )

Original Firmware CA11…

[QUOTE=blackened2687;2726321]Ripped *.BIN files from JD12, CP5B and JP5B flashers:

maybe will be useful for someone…[/QUOTE]

Obsolete link. Could you please re-post those?

My DS-8A4S drive is unstable in recognizing (reading after that is ok) my new Pleomax DVD-RW media. It had JA22 (Asus) firmware initially, I’ve done EEPROM and flash backups, then tryed some later firmware versions, now it is DS-8A4SH with CA91 firmware. RWs read speeds are normal, recognizing became better, but sometimes it still needs to re-insert disc to drive to recognize it :rolleyes:

I hope CP5B or JP5B firmware can help me solve this :bow:

[QUOTE=S-h-D;2782606]Obsolete link. Could you please re-post those?

My DS-8A4S drive is unstable in recognizing (reading after that is ok) my new Pleomax DVD-RW media. It had JA22 (Asus) firmware initially, I’ve done EEPROM and flash backups, then tryed some later firmware versions, now it is DS-8A4SH with CA91 firmware. RWs read speeds are normal, recognizing became better, but sometimes it still needs to re-insert disc to drive to recognize it :rolleyes:

I hope CP5B or JP5B firmware can help me solve this :bow:[/QUOTE]

Sure, here they are: http://www33.zippyshare.com/v/kNu8Vnt1/file.html

[QUOTE=cvs;2782618]Sure, here they are: http://www33.zippyshare.com/v/kNu8Vnt1/file.html[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much :slight_smile: I’ve compared contents of JP5B and CP5B binaries. Looks like the only difference is the device name, DS-8A4S or DS-8A4SH. Then I’ve flashed JP5B one, altogether with the bootcode. And yes, media recognizing became faster and stabler, overall, not only on those Pleomax RWs.

By the way, I’ve sorted (renamed) .bin files (from the archives posted in this topic), based on the firmware release date (which can be found in plane text format within .bin files), re-packed, and posted here: http://www4.zippyshare.com/v/yU0lj2lQ/file.html