EEEK! Can burning levels affect consistency!?

vbimport

Not so much a problem, but perhaps a better :doh: moment.

I’ve noticed that on different brands of media (inc. RiDisc, Bulkpaq, Greenpod, etc etc… All mediocre brands) I usually burn them at max speed, and after one of my Datawrites borked whilst verifying on IMGBurn, (because of the max speed) I’m lowering the speed to play it safe. (However, usually a max speed on DVDs too - NEVER exceeding 12x)

Fair game, but can varying burning speeds affect readability, consistency, etc? I’m going to be borked if my data goes in three months because I burned it too fast :o

Burning speed can affect overall quality of the burn. With mediocre 16x dvd media, you might want to cut back to 8x or 12x, never burn the poor stuff at max speed. We’ve been advising this for years.

The best solution is simply to buy good quality media. That means Verbatim AZO disks or Taiyo Yuden if you can find them. There are some others that are also good, like the FTI/Falcon disks, and some of the Sony brand disks. I only use high quality disks and I always burn at 8x or 12x (depending on the particular disks I’m using).

Sorry it took so long to get back :doh:

However, even lousy media can be burned good (and watchable / copyable, etc) when the burning speed is dropped down to 4x to play it safe.

Out of a batch of Bulkpaq (for example), only one disc failed and had to be thrown away. Admittedly, this has p*ssed me off because this recording was vital and I can’t recover it, recovery on software was abysmally poor…

Anyway, I’ve learnt my lesson and as these recordings were mainly VHS backups, it isint any loss if they get corrupted again. But caveot emptor, I’ll reconsider Bulkpaq.

Burning too slowly can have adverse effects also. Most modern 16x media and modern drives are not set up for for very slow burns. The firmware of the drives is not optimized for this. 4x is quite slow for most 16x media, and I would only use it as a last resort.

Hello Chad,

Burning speed affects the quality/readibility. We dealt here a lot with that issue many years ago when we faced this problem ourselves.

Since then I burn only at x8 whatever media I get hold of. No less, no more.

Good luck, m8.

[QUOTE=Chad_Bronson;2555563]Sorry it took so long to get back :doh:

[B]However, even lousy media can be burned good[/B] (and watchable / copyable, etc) when the burning speed is dropped down to 4x to play it safe.

Out of a batch of Bulkpaq (for example), only one disc failed and had to be thrown away. Admittedly, this has p*ssed me off because this recording was vital and I can’t recover it, recovery on software was abysmally poor…

Anyway, I’ve learnt my lesson and as these recordings were mainly VHS backups, it isint any loss if they get corrupted again. But caveot emptor, I’ll reconsider Bulkpaq.[/QUOTE]

I dare to differ, lousy media is not even burnable…

[QUOTE=chef;2555620]I dare to differ, lousy media is not even burnable…[/QUOTE] Some gasoline and a blowtorch and it should burn really well! :bigsmile:

Yeah, I forgot… Burn the witch! :smiley:

Frisbees a-hoy!