Editing Media code wh12ls38

vbimport

i was wondering when we will see the media speed code edit version that can edit media codes. i would like to edit the firmware so i can write optical quantum media at 6x bd-r at 12x

Welcome to the forum :flower:

I don’t think that will be soon. I believe I recall ala42 mentioning that they were packed in an unusual way in the firmware. Judging by the wide variations in quality we are seeing with too many BD-R manufacturers, I suspect that screwing with BD-R burn strategies is a pain he may not want to inflict on us :).

By the way, you almost certainly DON’T want to overspeed Optical Quantums. Vinpower is not too proud to sell the scrapings off the factory floor to you. Which disc code are your OQ’s? And do you have a drive capable of quality scanning those OQ burns before you even think about trying to burn them faster?

[QUOTE=mic00n64;2639650]i was wondering when we will see the media speed code edit version that can edit media codes. i would like to edit the firmware so i can write optical quantum media at 6x bd-r at 12x[/QUOTE]

Reserve space for your COASTERS!

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2639856]Welcome to the forum :flower:

I don’t think that will be soon. I believe I recall ala42 mentioning that they were packed in an unusual way in the firmware. Judging by the wide variations in quality we are seeing with too many BD-R manufacturers, I suspect that screwing with BD-R burn strategies is a pain he may not want to inflict on us :).

By the way, you almost certainly DON’T want to overspeed Optical Quantums. Vinpower is not too proud to sell the scrapings off the factory floor to you. Which disc code are your OQ’s? And do you have a drive capable of quality scanning those OQ burns before you even think about trying to burn them faster?[/QUOTE]

Ok, I’ve over-burned all of them and havn’t had one coaster yet. Ok, I’m not sure if this what your asking but using DVD identifier, It says they are made by phillips and Media Type ID R04. I have scanned the discs yet, but I will.

[QUOTE=mic00n64;2640058]Ok, [B]I’ve over-burned all of them[/B] and havn’t had one coaster yet. Ok, I’m not sure if this what your asking but using DVD identifier, It says they are made by phillips and Media Type ID R04. I have scanned the discs yet, but I will.[/QUOTE]

I doubt you ever overburnt even one BD!!

You may overspeed’d when burning, but never overburnt.

[QUOTE=chef;2640127]I doubt you ever overburnt even one BD!!

You may overspeed’d when burning, but never overburnt.[/QUOTE]
I meant overspeed. I’ve burned 4x rated discs at 8x. Sorry for the wrong terminology.

[QUOTE=mic00n64;2640058]Ok, I’ve over-burned all of them and havn’t had one coaster yet. Ok, I’m not sure if this what your asking but using DVD identifier, It says they are made by phillips and Media Type ID R04. I have scanned the discs yet, but I will.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Yes, that is the MID of the disc. I was afraid they might be PHILIPR04. Actually, the code does not necessarily tell you the manufacturer. In this case, Philips sold that code to Moser Baer India a few years ago. Those discs are currently being manufactured by MBI and manufacturers in China. Their quality varies quite widely. I bought several spindles of them myself a bit back. The error levels when scanning them with a iHBS112 was very worrisome. And sure enough, when I tried to play a movie burned on them in my set-top player, I had trouble with freeze-ups and skips. Please do not assume that just because a disc finished burning it can be trusted. For storing data, a disc that burns with high error levels is too likely to be unreadable in the near future and not a good choice for storing anything of importance. Everything I burned to the Optical Quantums ended up getting re-burned to better media. Please monitor those discs closely for poor burns. At least run a transfer rate test with OptiDriveControl or Nero Discspeed on your burns to watch for read-back slowdowns indicating a burn that should not be trusted for decent longevity.

Overspeed burning can increase the likelihood of poor longevity, particularly with mid to low grade media like that I’ve seen in Optical Quantum/Vinpower spindles.

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2640323]Thanks. Yes, that is the MID of the disc. I was afraid they might be PHILIPR04. Actually, the code does not necessarily tell you the manufacturer. In this case, Philips sold that code to Moser Baer India a few years ago. Those discs are currently being manufactured by MBI and manufacturers in China. Their quality varies quite widely. I bought several spindles of them myself a bit back. The error levels when scanning them with a iHBS112 was very worrisome. And sure enough, when I tried to play a movie burned on them in my set-top player, I had trouble with freeze-ups and skips. Please do not assume that just because a disc finished burning it can be trusted. For storing data, a disc that burns with high error levels is too likely to be unreadable in the near future and not a good choice for storing anything of importance. Everything I burned to the Optical Quantums ended up getting re-burned to better media. Please monitor those discs closely for poor burns. At least run a transfer rate test with OptiDriveControl or Nero Discspeed on your burns to watch for read-back slowdowns indicating a burn that should not be trusted for decent longevity.

Overspeed burning can increase the likelihood of poor longevity, particularly with mid to low grade media like that I’ve seen in Optical Quantum/Vinpower spindles.[/QUOTE]
Ok thanks for the input, I am going to scan the discs now. What do you suggest for media that will last long term? This stinks because I do have some important things backed up. I will let u know what I find out, Btw I bought the media this past November. Idk if that matters ore not.

[QUOTE=mic00n64;2640345]Ok thanks for the input, I am going to scan the discs now. What do you suggest for media that will last long term? This stinks because I do have some important things backed up. I will let u know what I find out, Btw I bought the media this past November. Idk if that matters ore not.[/QUOTE]

So I ran the Tests on one disc so far. On Nero Disc speed the Disc contained %100 Good Sectors and with OptoDrive Control and the speed increased and never decreased. I took a screenshot, but I’m not sure how to post them. I have a question you may be able to answer. My drive can read BD-R’s at 10X speed, yet under disc info, the program says the disc can only be read at 4X. Do u you know why that is?

So I ran the Tests on one disc so far. On Nero Disc speed the Disc contained %100 Good Sectors and with OptoDrive Control and the speed increased and never decreased. I took a screenshot, but I’m not sure how to post them. I have a question you may be able to answer. My drive can read BD-R’s at 10X speed, yet under disc info, the program says the disc can only be read at 4X. Do u you know why that is?

To include a scan in your post, just click on the little paper-clip “manage attachments” icon, click “choose file” and “upload” to upload the .png file(s) you saved using the little floppy drive button in discspeed or ODC. You can preview your post before submitting to see if you got it right.

Your results sound encouraging. As I said, that media does vary from good to undesirable. For any important back-ups on those discs, I recommend running a TRT on the disc every 6 months or so and reburn if any dips in read speed show up. Without a drive that’s capable of error rate scanning like a Lite-on to give you more burn quality info, this is one way to try to protect your important data.

Have a look at the results others have been seeing with Philips MID BD-R in this forum. Posts #27 and #28 in the Philips BD-R thread are examples of what you don’t want to see on your transfer rate test. You can compare the Philips results with those of higher/more consistent quality BD-R like Panasonic(Matsushita Electric BD-R) or FTI/Falcon/Smartblu(TDK BD-R SL).

Panasonic and FTI have released the results of accelerated aging tests on their BD-Rs putting them in the 50+ year category. I consider them the best BD-R bets for important back-ups at the moment.

I’m not aware of a “read speed” number on the disc info tab. Is that the write speed?

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2640461]To include a scan in your post, just click on the little paper-clip “manage attachments” icon, click “choose file” and “upload” to upload the .png file(s) you saved using the little floppy drive button in discspeed or ODC. You can preview your post before submitting to see if you got it right.

Your results sound encouraging. As I said, that media does vary from good to undesirable. For any important back-ups on those discs, I recommend running a TRT on the disc every 6 months or so and reburn if any dips in read speed show up. Without a drive that’s capable of error rate scanning like a Lite-on to give you more burn quality info, this is one way to try to protect your important data.

Have a look at the results others have been seeing with Philips MID BD-R in this forum. Posts #27 and #28 in the Philips BD-R thread are examples of what you don’t want to see on your transfer rate test. You can compare the Philips results with those of higher/more consistent quality BD-R like Panasonic(Matsushita Electric BD-R) or FTI/Falcon/Smartblu(TDK BD-R SL).

Panasonic and FTI have released the results of accelerated aging tests on their BD-Rs putting them in the 50+ year category. I consider them the best BD-R bets for important back-ups at the moment.

I’m not aware of a “read speed” number on the disc info tab. Is that the write speed?[/QUOTE]

i used all the same media, and I’m pretty sure I over-sped them at all at 8x except maybe one. It seems evident that that once my disc ramped closer to 10x read (which is around the area were the disc can rlly start to write 8x) there was slight fluctuations in speed towards the end of the disc. I looked at the link to the other results for the phillips media and I’m not sure if I should be worried with my results for the long term. Transfer Test 5 was strange, because it never read the disc past 4x speed, yet my data seems fine. That disc might be the only one I burned at 4x, because there is no fluctuation of speed towards the end of the disc.

[QUOTE=mic00n64;2640522]

i used all the same media, and I’m pretty sure I over-sped them at all at 8x except maybe one. It seems evident that that once my disc ramped closer to 10x read (which is around the area were the disc can rlly start to write 8x) there was slight fluctuations in speed towards the end of the disc. I looked at the link to the other results for the phillips media and I’m not sure if I should be worried with my results for the long term. Transfer Test 5 was strange, because it never read the disc past 4x speed, yet my data seems fine. That disc might be the only one I burned at 4x, because there is no fluctuation of speed towards the end of the disc.[/QUOTE]

To rule out other variables, try re-burning at 2x speed the disc that has the worst read speed fluctuation(dips in the read speed line). Perform a transfer rate test on that burn. If the fluctuation is gone, that’s a good indication that it was due to high error levels on those 8x burns and not some other data flow issue with your machine. I would be nervous about important data on discs with TRT results like the ones you posted with the read speed aberrations at the end. If you get a smooth read graph with a slower burn, either re-burn the shaky ones at a slower speed or at least re-scan them periodically. And do avoid Optical Quantum discs for archival burning.

You have 4x selected in the read speed box in ODC on all your TRTs. The real mystery is how it ended up scanning most of them at 10x :). Change 4x to 10x and download and use ODC version 1.50 instead of 1.51

The disc’s MID is not displayed w/ 1.51 . Somehow that got broken in ver 1.51 and the author has not gotten around to fixing it.