Editing HD videos, system requirements

vbimport

Hi!
I am testing a Canon HF200 before deciding if I want to buy it or not.
I am experiences problems in editing my videos i HD. I have a laptop HP HDX X16-1300EO with Intel Core2 Duo 2 Ghz, 4Gb RAM, 320 GB hard drive, NVidia GeForce GT130M with 1Gb memory. Windows 7. If I read the system requirements for commercial programs, even for the one following the camcoder, it looks like my laptop is not good enough. And I bought it a few months ago :doh:
Can anyone recommend a good program for simpler video editing for HD that could run on my system?
Thanks!

Welcome to the forum. It seems like your laptop should be up to the task, however many ‘full featured’ editors have pretty steep requirements. There is a free program AVI DeMux that can be used to cut and paste video clips in MPEG4-AVC / H.264. The tools list over at VideoHelp.com is a good place to look for more. You’ll find many of them are either free or have fully functional demos.

Looking at the specifications of your laptop: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01781592&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3982246&lang=en

and the program that is included with the camera: http://www.pixela.co.jp/oem/canon/e/pixela_application_disc_ver20/spec.html

it looks like your laptop is fairly close to meeting the requirements of that program, with your cpu being borderline in speed.

Editing HD material does take a rather powerful cpu, with most people recommending quad core desktops for this task if you are using a program that can utilize multiple cores.

Two of the better programs for home users would be Adobe Premiere Elements and Sony Vegas Movie Studio, but your laptop doesn’t meet their minimum standards for working with HD video. So I don’t really have a recommendation for your system. Stick around. Maybe someone else will have a suggestion.

Welcome to the forums anyway. :slight_smile:

Edit: Looks like olyteddy beat me to the punch.

Thank you for the answers!
Great webpage you suggested olyteddy! I will test AVI DeMux.
And I will try simpler software for HD editing that runs on a simple 2GHz Core 2 Duo cpu… otherwise I am thinking about returning the videocamera. Or getting one with both SD and HD, if there exists one. Could that be better you think?

If your laptop can’t handle the full bitrate you could try recording at a lower rate.