Editing DVD on Hard Disk

vbimport

I have dozens of self recorded DVD’s on my hard disk. What I need is just trimming,splitting,cutting, so that I can create playsits like in audio players (and view the original on TV through a Streamer). No ‘film making’ pretensions.

I understand that the problem is cracking the VOB files. After reading endless opinions and trying various programmes, I understand that however it’s done - it is a time consuming process.
My question: is there, after all, a programme capable of doing the job in a minimum span of time ?
Thanks,
shivz

The data needs to be decrypted first before you can modify it. The decryption process entirely depends on the raw processing power of your computer.

As far as editing goes:

Basic short answer: No, other programs won’t make you edit the data any faster.

Basic long answer: Well, every program has a learning curve. If you’re getting real good in, for instance Adobe Premiere, i think you’ll produce faster and far better quality dvd’s after you’ve worked with it for a year or so.

Dear Mr. Belvedere,

Re [U]“the raw processing power of your computer[/U]”:
Assuming a ‘normal’ household PC, would I be mistaken by assuming that, under optimal operation of, say, Adobe Premiere, processing a 4GB DVD would take at least about an hour?
If so, is it not simpler, better and shorter to re-record the desired pieces?
Regards,
shivz

[QUOTE=shivz;2486002]Dear Mr. Belvedere,

Re [U]“the raw processing power of your computer[/U]”:
Assuming a ‘normal’ household PC, would I be mistaken by assuming that, under optimal operation of, say, Adobe Premiere, processing a 4GB DVD would take at least about an hour?[/quote] Well, i don’t think Adobe Premiere can actually decrypt a DVD. I recommend using DVDFabHDDecrypter for that. And as de decryption goes pretty automatic, it depends on how fast your computer is. Usually after 20 minutes you should have a region free decrypted DVD.

shivz: It would be best if you stuck with just 1 thread on this as it would make it easier to help you instead of 2 threads, 1 here and 1 in the movie copy software> Mr Belvedre is right on about DvdFabHDDecrypter

[QUOTE=Jimbo;2486011]shivz: It would be best if you stuck with just 1 thread on this as it would make it easier to help you instead of 2 threads, 1 here and 1 in the movie copy software> Mr Belvedre is right on about DvdFabHDDecrypter[/QUOTE]

Fixed :wink:

:bow: :flower:

[QUOTE=shivz;2485986]I have dozens of self recorded DVD’s on my hard disk. What I need is just trimming,splitting,cutting, so that I can create playsits like in audio players (and view the original on TV through a Streamer). No ‘film making’ pretensions.

I understand that the problem is cracking the VOB files. After reading endless opinions and trying various programmes, I understand that however it’s done - it is a time consuming process.
My question: is there, after all, a programme capable of doing the job in a minimum span of time ?
Thanks,
shivz[/QUOTE]
Well if they’re self made, no need to decrypt. And if simple trimming is all you need, get AVI DeMux. You can just drag a VOB into it and it’ll load the whole movie and allow you to cut on ‘I’ frames (roughly .5 second resolution). You can then either copy the video and audio streams to a new file or convert them to a new codec, if desired. That’s probably about as quick as it gets.

Many thanks!
What “I” frames are?

GOP, I, P and B frames: http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=9785