Editing commercial releases

Hello. I’m looking for a way to “clean up” some store-bought movies for my four year old. I’d love for him to see some pg-13 stuff with the bad words and violence edited out. Is there an easy way for me to do this without getting into trouble? Thanks for your time.

[QUOTE=metrognome;2282219]Hello. I’m looking for a way to “clean up” some store-bought movies for my four year old. I’d love for him to see some pg-13 stuff with the bad words and violence edited out. Is there an easy way for me to do this without getting into trouble? Thanks for your time.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately there is no software I know of that does it other then the studio doing this ahead of time and then you buying the censored version. If you want him to see PG-13 your left with only buying PG-13 movies.

Welcome to the forum. I don’t know of any program specifically for that purpose but it could be done. You’d have to rip the movie to your computer, edit then reauthor the movie. Not exactly easy, but could be done with free software (DVD Fab HD Decrypter to rip, AVIDeMux to edit, DVD Styler to reauthor). There’s also a DVD player out there that will cut the naughty bits out using scripts from the Internet. I don’t remember the name of the player. As to the legality of it, I’m not a lawyer so YMMV.

Maybe try with DVDShrink in Re-author and use the ’ Start/End tool…Not so accurate and a bit tedious since you’ll have to save each clip to it’s own VIDEO_TS folder and then append/compile(with shrink) but, worth a try…
What I would do is, rip to HDD as single VOB un-compressed(DVD-9 size if needed)… Or once ripped use Vob2mpg to extract and create a single .mpg…Import single VOB or .mpg in AviDemux as suggested, and do all your edit/cuts and save new .mpg, it will/should not re-encode…Re-author or use something like DVDflick, or ConvertxtoDVD to convert(re-encode) to DVD structure…

Ditto, as to the legality issue…

Actually, AVIDeMux will automatically extract the MPEG from the VOB. Just open any VOB from the titleset and voila.

The most intuitive video editing tool that I’ve found so far is Mpeg2Schnitt but this works on elementary streams (video split into separate audio and video files).

I’d recommend:

• rip movie to HD with DVD Fab Hd Decrypter
  • demux (split into video/audio) with ProjectX
  • edit with Mpeg2Schnitt
  • reauthor with GUI for DVDAuthor

No re-encoding will be required, as the video and audio will still be DVD compliant and DVDAuthor lets you create a basic menu if desired and add chapters at specified intervals, or from a list file extracted from the original DVD etc.

It may look like a lot of steps, but once you’ve done it a few times, it’s quick and easy. Incidentally this is the same procedure that I use for authoring TS files from my PVR except that DVD Fab is not required.

All of the tools required are free, and for more help, or to find download links check out http://www.videohelp.com (Tools on left, or Forum for advice).

Sláinte

midders

@ Op… As you can clearly see, [I]different strokes for different folks[/I]…Good luck!..

Thanks, everyone. In my copious free time (not) I’ll try to piece a simple edit together.:bow: