Edit video sound

vbimport

Hello Kerry, we have some avi video clips taken by a car camera on a fishing trip.
We need, for obvious reasons, to edit out a lot of voice sound. Could you recommend a simple free editor for this purpose please?:slight_smile:

@ deezalboy , Kerry56 may have a program to suggest but there are some wiki instructions for Audacity on doing this. Not necessarily car camera .
You can only do so much anyway but maybe you can make the audio better than it now is.

No, I’m afraid I don’t know of a simple way of doing this. You are a little out of my normal working path there.

If I had to do it, I’d probably import the audio into Audacity and mute sections within it. You’ll have nothing but silence in those sections however.

Once you have the sound track as you want it, you save then remux the video with the new audio stream.

Now all that sounds simple but is not. Audacity, with the ffmpeg and Lame libraries installed, will open the avi directly and import only the audio so that you can work with it. I’d advise stretching out the time line a bit (using the zoom tool), so that it is easy to find the exact spots you need to mute. Then using the selection tool, click at the start of the section, drag the cursor and highlight the area you need muted. Click on Generate–>Silence. Do this for every section where you want to mute the audio. Save your project as an mp3 file, which should work well in an avi container.

Next step is to open the original avi file in AviDemux, go to Audio–>Select Track, then [B]deselect[/B] the audio stream. Save as an avi, using Copy for both video and audio, and using the AVI muxer. This will give you the video only.

Now, remux the video and audio streams into an avi using AVI-Mux GUI.
You’re done.

There have to be better ways of doing all this, however, so you might want to get a free trial edition of Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12 and figure it out within that program. Or the equivalent programs from Pinnacle or Corel.

You might give these a read:
http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/tutorial_vocal_removal_and_isolation.html

http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/vocal_remover.html

[QUOTE=cholla;2716008]You might give these a read:
http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/tutorial_vocal_removal_and_isolation.html

http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/vocal_remover.html[/QUOTE]Kerry and all, i tried Audacity but my files are AVI and it doesn`t recognize that.:slight_smile:

^Yes cholla, that is probably more along the lines he wants out of Audacity. But like I said, not something I do.

Audacity will import audio from avi files directly if you have the ffmpeg and Lame libraries.

Look at the bottom of this page for links: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/plugins

If you can’t get that to work, you can always demux with AviDemux by importing the avi into that program, click on Audio–>Save Audio.

Import this audio file into Audacity.

I’m crashing…too late at night for me. Will have to get back to you later.

@ Kerry , I was the same as you it got to be bedtime .
I played around with removing vocals a couple of years ago out of curiosity but just a limited amount. I didn’t get what I would call good results but it did help some.

I think the plugin has been improved so Audacity might do this better now.

Since the .AVI file is going to need to be demuxed anyway if the altered audio file is going to be muxed back into it might as well do that from the start.
You already suggested AviDemux for this & that seemed like what I would use.
Then AVI-Mux GUI for the remux as you suggested.

BTW I have the FFMPEG librarary for Audacity & I tested 2 .AVIs both opened fine in Audacity.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2716007]No, I’m afraid I don’t know of a simple way of doing this. You are a little out of my normal working path there.

If I had to do it, I’d probably import the audio into Audacity and mute sections within it. You’ll have nothing but silence in those sections however.

Once you have the sound track as you want it, you save then remux the video with the new audio stream.

Now all that sounds simple but is not. Audacity, with the ffmpeg and Lame libraries installed, will open the avi directly and import only the audio so that you can work with it. I’d advise stretching out the time line a bit (using the zoom tool), so that it is easy to find the exact spots you need to mute. Then using the selection tool, click at the start of the section, drag the cursor and highlight the area you need muted. Click on Generate–>Silence. Do this for every section where you want to mute the audio. Save your project as an mp3 file, which should work well in an avi container.

Next step is to open the original avi file in AviDemux, go to Audio–>Select Track, then [B]deselect[/B] the audio stream. Save as an avi, using Copy for both video and audio, and using the AVI muxer. This will give you the video only.

You’re done.

There have to be better ways of doing all this, however, so you might want to get a free trial edition of Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12 and figure it out within that program. Or the equivalent programs from Pinnacle or Corel.[/QUOTE][B]Thanks Kerry. Your`e suggestion "Next step is to open the original avi file in AviDemux, go to Audio–>Select Track, then deselect the audio stream. Save as an avi, using Copy for both video and audio, and using the AVI muxer. This will give you the video only.

You’re done.[/B]" [B]works for me on a trial run on a short video, so i`ll continue with that on the main video clips. Cheers to you and all.[/B]:bigsmile: