Edit button is ephermeral

vbimport

I see the ‘Edit’ button only on the version of the page that comes back to me after I hit the ‘Post’ button. Once I leave that page and return, the ‘Edit’ button is forever missing.

It’s not a bug they only let you edit your post for a short period of time.

You’ve got half an hour. After that you have to ask a mod/admin to do it for you and whether s/he will agree to do so will depend upon why you want to edit.

My reply in PM (so that others may jump in and/or can learn from this)

Thanks for your prompt reply. For the record, I read the FAQ on editing one’s own posts (bold emphasis mine):

[I]If you have registered, you will be able to edit and delete your posts. Note that the administrator can disable this ability as he desires. Your ability to edit your posts may also be time-limited, depending on how the administrator has set up the forum."

"After you have made your modifications, a note may appear, which notifies other users that you have edited your post. Administrators and moderators may also edit your messages but this note [B]may[B] not appear when they do so.
[/I]

While this is a succinct statement of the conditional capabilities of the forum software, it does not describe how (or whether) these capabilities actually manifest as policy.

As you can see from the range of responses to my posting in the Newbie and Bugs forums, users are unclear, misinformed, or simply guessing about this policy.

Perhaps the FAQ can be updated to explain current policy.

P.S.
After logging out, then back on, I’m adding this via the Edit button, which is still available some 15 minutes after I composed this post. I was unable to do this last night. Maybe the problem is intermittent, or has been fixed. (?)