Edit a DVD Movie

vbimport

Extreme newbie here.

I made a one hour home video with a portable VCR.
I don’t have the equipment so I mailed the tape to a friend who copied it to a DVD for me.
The DVD works fine. I can play it using Windows Media Player.

Now I want to edit the DVD, but Windows Movie Maker doesn’t recognize the extensions on the DVD.

The files on the DVD are:

VIDEO_TS.BUP 12KB
VIDEO_TS.IFO 12KB
VIDEO_TS.VOB 4,870KB
VTS_01_0.BUP 42KB
VTS_01_0.IFO 42KB
VTS_01_1.VOB 1,048,574KB
VTS_01_2.VOB 1,048,574KB
VTS_01_3.VOB 891,252KB

How can I load these for editing?

I am using Windows XP SP2

TIA
g-

The vob files are your video files and are in mpeg 2 format. The shorter one might be your menu screen while the longer ones are your content. You can just change the file extention from .vob to .mpg and windows movie maker or whatever other editing program should then recognise them. It might be easier to work with a single file instead of three though. One quick and easy trick is to rip with dvd decryptor in ifo mode and set file splitting to non (under tools, settings, ifo mode, file splitting). Rip it and it should give you a single vob (combining the three), then change the file extention on it from vob to mpg. then after editing it, you will need to reauthor it (create menus and dvd file structure again).

Hey, thanks, ripit!

I renamed the files and they imported without errors. But now I have a new problem. I can’t view the video in the black window on the right. (Windows Movie Maker.)

If I double click the square icon in the collections place, the timer starts at the bottom of the view window, but no image appears. The window remains black.

Another strange thing: When I load a second mpeg file into the collections place, the new one’s icon takes the place of the old one’s icon. That is, there is never more than one icon in the collections place no matter how many files I load. The new files don’t create their own icons, but rather they hijack the single icon already in the window. When I look at the collections tree on the far left window, I see all the files that I loaded.

Any advice certainly appreciated.

g-

Try with better tools, like dvd author or avisynth.

www.videohelp.com/tools

Thank you, chef, but this is a one-time shot. I’m not really interested in editing any more videos after this. All I want to do is edit out (delete) a few minutes of video. So I don’t think I will buy the software.
But thanks anyway, for the advice.

I’ll try downloading some freeware and see if I can make anything happen.

g-

That tools are all FOR FREE!