Easynote wont install new dvd drive

vbimport

Hello
I have tried all i know and i am totally stumped. I have a packard bell easynote K5285 laptop that had problems with the dvd drive, only reading discs sometimes and then the drive not seen by the os at all. So i purchasd a new dvd drive, optiarc ad-7543a. Fits lovely but when windows boots up it finds new hardware but comes up with the name of x cpevDrVw’WDmw547 for the dvd drive, the name will change slightly on every boot. Suspecting a dodgy drive i put the new drive into my daughters laptop running same os and it installed with no problem and when seen by os it installed as an optiarc drive. I have downloaded all patches from packard bell website and updated the bios, i have even re installed windows but still the same problem, anybody with any solutions it would be much appreciated.

Thanks<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Hi and welcome to cdfreaks. :slight_smile:

Slimdrives (as well as any other IDE drive) has to be set to proper IDE mode, ie. master or slave.
Take your time and study what been written here;
http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/en/Optiarc-AD-7540A/
Last line of most importance for you. :wink:

BTW, no bios nor windows update will cure that problem.

Hi and Welcome![quote=kevg;2045923]Fits lovely but when windows boots up it finds new hardware but comes up with the name of x cpevDrVw’WDmw547 for the dvd drive, the name will change slightly on every boot.[/quote]Such happened on my computer with a bad IDE cable. So please check if the cable (or connector) for connecting the drive are not damaged and properly seated.

Michael

Thanks for the replies i will try the cable first and let you know how i get on

Hello again

Opened up laptop but there is no cable that can be replaced. the connector that plugs in to the motherboard is on a circuit board attached to the underside of the palm rest.

Solved at last

replaced optiarc with pioneer k16 and had to solder pins 45/47 as described by flash 56.

someone actually solved this problem!!

ive been struggling with external drives for 3 years, having to pay someone to re-install windows everytime i want a fresh copy because the K5285 wont boot from USB. Can you please direct me to flash 56’s explaination of how to fix it?

i’ve tried three different dvd drives and the laptop recognises them but nothing else

i would love it to be fixed

Hello boomer

Here is the link, i would think there is an easier way than soldering but it worked for me, hope it works for you

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f87/pioneer-dvr-k16-slim-drive-165136/index2.html#post1431759