Easy cd creator help

Does anybody know how to set the file attributes to ‘system’ using easy cd creator 5 or 6?
Or, is there some special option that I need to enable to do this?
On my copy, the attributes checkbox are disabeled, except the ‘hidden’.

Thanks in advance
-mMiniImManN

Registered in March and this is your first post?? :stuck_out_tongue:
Not sure how to do this in Roxio (never used it), but you can set attributes in Windows.

Go to File Properties > (and check on attributes) System.

Other than that, I don’t think I can really help you ;).

I’ve already tried to set the attributes in windows, and when I select the file, easy cd clears it.

I was hopeing that (maybe) there might be a regestry mod that enables this feature.

Same on mine. It maybe that you can’t set any other settings other than hidden.

I was hoping someone would have a crack/hack or a regestry change to enable this.

Does anybody know of any other good cd burning software forums/ help info?

i dont get your question …but to set attributes …u have to be in dos and use the attrib command …

what are you trying to set ? if you go to start …run and type cmd … you are at dos command prompt …if you type attrib /? you will get a list of commands to use …that is for windows xp

for windows 98 just go to start and then run and type command … and then type attrib /?

that will show you all that is on the file if you follow instructions but you have made it unclear to what you want … so kinda confused … but that is how to see file system attributes …

also you need to go into folder options and make then unhidden and show extentions and unhide system files

but do this at your own risk …cause it can get hairy if you know what i mean …

What I mean is I want to use easy cd creator 6 to be able to burn a file onto a disc, AND I want the file to have the system attribute set. In the file properties inside easy cd 6, only the hidden attribute is enabeled, while the system attribute is unchangeable, and un-selected. I want to know how to be able to activate the system attribute check-box.

As far as I know it can not be done with any recording software. The reason for this is that the only standard attribute supported by ISO 9660 is the hidden attribute. Thus, that is the only attribute you can set for an ISO 9660 disc no matter what mastering software you use.

ISO 9660 does include extended attribute fields that can theoretically be used to include additional attributes such as “system”, but Windows does not use these extended attribute fields.

Sorry for the bad news.

cfitz

So, then why would easy cd creator even include the option if it couldn’t even be used? And, what about Linx, could it burn system files?

One more thing:
If it’s impossible to burn system files to a cd, then is there any way to hide sertain files another way, other than selecting the hidden attribute. Maybe with a desktop.ini file that has some script to not show certain files?

Originally posted by mMiniImManN So, then why would easy cd creator even include the option if it couldn’t even be used?
I don’t know.

And, what about Linx, could it burn system files?
It can burn Rock Ridge format CDs that include unix style (actually POSIX) file attributes. However, Windows doesn’t not support these extensions.

If it’s impossible to burn system files to a cd, then is there any way to hide sertain files another way, other than selecting the hidden attribute. Maybe with a desktop.ini file that has some script to not show certain files?
You can change a few display attributes for files in a folder by using a desktop.ini file, but I don’t believe you can hide them by default. In order to do that I think you would need to write and install you own shell extension. And desktop.ini is only utilized when it is in a directory marked with the system attribute, which brings you right back where you started.

If you want to protect your data, you should look into commercial or freeware CD copy protection systems.

cfitz

Actually, a desktop.ini file will work if the folder it is in is set to read-only OR system. And, do you know of any forum sites, or any sites that can help me make my own shell extensions?

Originally posted by mMiniImManN
Actually, a desktop.ini file will work if the folder it is in is set to read-only OR system.

I wasn’t aware of that. I was just going by what an MSDN page told me. Thanks for the correction.

And, do you know of any forum sites, or any sites that can help me make my own shell extensions?

Sorry, I personally don’t know of any. But I’m sure there are some out there. Check and see if winternals.com or sourceforge.com have anything that might help.

cfitz