Easiest way to tell when RW media has gone bad?

How can you tell when RW media has gone bad I’ve got a DVD-RAM disc that I use for backups and it seems that it fails every format and windows shows a delayed write failed every once in a while.

^ That’s about the time I’d stop using it. :wink:

Of course, to rule out the drive, you could try a format in another RAM-compatible drive, if you have one. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;1938880]^ That’s about the time I’d stop using it. :wink:

Of course, to rule out the drive, you could try a format in another RAM-compatible drive, if you have one. :)[/QUOTE]

Well, I just tried another disc and it seems to have worked, so I guess this one has gone bad:(

[QUOTE=RCM;1938886]Well, I just tried another disc and it seems to have worked, so I guess this one has gone bad:([/QUOTE]

Yep, I’d use the new disc now, I wouldn’t take the chance with the other one. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;1938888]Yep, I’d use the new disc now, I wouldn’t take the chance with the other one. :)[/QUOTE]

Good idea, I guess I can look by the standalone DVD-recorders at best buy to get more;):bigsmile:

[QUOTE=RCM;1938890]Good idea, I guess I can look by the standalone DVD-recorders at best buy to get more;):bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

More media :iagree: - any reason is a good one IMO :bigsmile:

Maybe I should stock up :bigsmile: there Panasonic branded

[QUOTE=RCM;1938894]Maybe I should stock up :bigsmile: there Panasonic branded[/QUOTE]

If you can get 'em at a good price, I’d go for it! :bigsmile:

My Panny ones have been in use for ages :eek:

[QUOTE=Arachne;1938895]If you can get 'em at a good price, I’d go for it! :bigsmile:

My Panny ones have been in use for ages :eek:[/QUOTE]

So have mine :eek: and the first one has gone bad:p

I’ll get 2 packs so I have 10 :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=RCM;1938867]How can you tell when RW media has gone bad I’ve got a DVD-RAM disc that I use for backups and it seems that it fails every format and windows shows a delayed write failed every once in a while.[/QUOTE]

RAM media is very sensitive to dust and scratches. Using the Panasonic RAM driver, you can do a physical format that will identify and mark any bad sectors so that they are skipped in the future. Much like a hard drive. The symptoms you describe are consistent with dust and scratches, but also consistent with a crappy RAM burner.

[QUOTE=CDan;1938938]RAM media is very sensitive to dust and scratches. Using the Panasonic RAM driver, you can do a physical format that will identify and mark any bad sectors so that they are skipped in the future. Much like a hard drive. The symptoms you describe are consistent with dust and scratches, but also consistent with a crappy RAM burner.[/QUOTE]

Disc was clean, and I did indeed try it on another drive and it still wouldn’t even do Physical format so I decided to use a different disc :iagree: also, what’s the best RAM burner :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=RCM;1938943]…also, what’s the best RAM burner :p[/QUOTE]

My LG and Sammy drives do very nicely. Haven’t tried the LiteOn. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;1938947]My LG and Sammy drives do very nicely. Haven’t tried the LiteOn. :)[/QUOTE]

My Optiarc does very well too;)

[QUOTE=RCM;1938959]My Optiarc does very well too;)[/QUOTE]

My Optiarc doesn’t do RAM :sad: (bit of a pain). My NEC 4551A was great with it, though :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=RCM;1938943]Disc was clean, and I did indeed try it on another drive and it still wouldn’t even do Physical format so I decided to use a different disc :iagree: also, what’s the best RAM burner :p[/QUOTE]

LG and Panasonic RAM drives have been around the longest. I’ve had 3 LiteOn drives that were utter crap for RAM. NEC and LG have been 100% problem-free here.

A while back, the Panasonic RAM discs were a bargain at the Panasonic site with free shipping. I stocked up at less than $1 each. You could check and see if it is still true.

[QUOTE=chas0039;1939023]A while back, the Panasonic RAM discs were a bargain at the Panasonic site with free shipping. I stocked up at less than $1 each. You could check and see if it is still true.[/QUOTE]I got in on that also :flower:

I also saw some Panasonic DVD-RAM for what I though of as being a very good price the other day, I just cant remember where :doh:

It might have just been the SVP lucky dip as I thought that at a quid each even if half are no good, I would still feel up on the deal, and as I dont have any RAM media could be a good intro.

[QUOTE=Lenny_Nero;1939242]I also saw some Panasonic DVD-RAM for what I though of as being a very good price the other day, I just cant remember where :doh:

It might have just been the SVP lucky dip as I thought that at a quid each even if half are no good, I would still feel up on the deal, and as I dont have any RAM media could be a good intro.[/QUOTE]
You could also look by the standalone DVD-recorders at best buy too:cool: that’s where I got mine from

Two different regions