EAC & Win 98SE

vbimport

Does anyone know what the most recent version of EAC is that will run under Win 98 SE?

If someone is interested, the answer was already found here :slight_smile:

I did not take that as a final answer. The poster stated that v95b4 worked with 98, they did not state that it was was the final version that did so, which is the question.

I tried to search here, but I found no information. Are you sure that latest version can’t run under Win 98 SE?

I have 98SE on an older computer . I need to do some work on it . If I can get it up & running I will do some testing on this . It may take a while I will try to keep this thread in mind. By a while I mean maybe a week or two.
I’m not even using the latest version on Vista. I like the 0.99 prebeta 5.
That is what I will test first.

Cholla, thank you! I’ll look forward to your feedback.

The reason I’m hesitant to just install a newer build, is I have had issues in the past with installing XP & newer programs on 98, where it sometimes took several hours to recover from being hosed.

I haven’t ever tried to set up a virtual drive . I guess I should learn how to do that. Then I could just setup a virtual Windows 98 SE & test without maybe messing it up.
I do have an Acronis backup for this OS so if this messes it up too bad I can just use that.

[QUOTE=cholla;2598992]I haven’t ever tried to set up a virtual drive . I guess I should learn how to do that. Then I could just setup a virtual Windows 98 SE & test without maybe messing it up.
I do have an Acronis backup for this OS so if this messes it up too bad I can just use that.[/QUOTE]

I can relate. I keep trying to work up the courage to run Kernel Ex on the Win 98 box…

I have read about Kernel Ex before but never tried it.

Here is what I found & used to get an EAC working on my Windows 98SE.
I already had installed an ASPI layer .
You may also need to do this.
I have the older one which is supposed to work better but I could not find it on the internet.
It is version 4.60 (1021) but Adaptecs latest version will probably work.
These are the instructions that were with the .zip file I have. It is too large to post here.

Windows 95/98/ME
Manually remove these files from your computer - do a Find and remove all of them
winaspi.dll - wnaspi32.dll - apix.vxd - aspienum.vxd - sparrow.mpd 
Download this zip file with all the ASPI stuff - click here.
Open the .zip file in WinZip or your favorite unzipping utility 
Extract winaspi.dll, wnaspi32.dll, and aspienum.vxd into your system directory. 
Extract sparrow.mpd and apix.vxd into your iosubsys directory in your system directory. 
These are the original Windows95/98/ME distribution files - this is to get you back to installed Windows status 
Extract and run aspi32.exe, this will update the files to 4.60 (1021) status 
Extract and run aspichk.exe, this will help you see if all the files are matched and are the correct versions. 
If it still doesn't work, extract the wnaspi32_nero.dll file into your Translator folder, and rename it wnaspi32.dll. 

Then I found that Exact Audio Copy (EAC) 0.95 beta 3 Last version that can access the TOC. Works . Version beta 4 would probably work too but I decided on 3 because of the TOC Alterations. I’ve never used that but just in case I needed to.
It is available here:
http://www.oldware.org/download.php?download=406
I had to manually copy & paste the Exact Audio Copy (EAC) 0.95 beta 3 into my Program Files folder. Then I created a “desktop shortcut” of the EAC.EXE file. This works fine.
If all you want is to convert to .wav then that will be all you need to do.
If you want EAC to convert to .mp3’s you need to add this LAME version:
LAME-3.93.1
http://www.fileplanet.com/125396/download/LAME-3.93.1
I put the LAME.EXE in my Progarm Files “EAC” folder.
Then you need to use that as the location in Compression Options/External Compression.
I use this string is "Additional command line options:
-V 0 --vbr-new --add-id3v2 --pad-id3v2 --ta “%a” --tt “%t” --tg “%m” --tl “%g” --ty “%y” --tn “%n” -m s %s %d

I didn’t try to get it to do FLAC or other formats. I hope this helps.

Cholla, thanks. 0.95 B.4 is the version I’ve been using on the Win 98 box also.

MooMooMooMoo , I did get Exact Audio Copy V0.99 prebeta 5 to install without any errors . It would load a CD . It would even let me select to copy uncompressed but it would only produce a Log file . It didn’t create a .wav file . So I think we both have the latest working EAC on our 98 OS’s.
I also tried a later version than Exact Audio Copy V0.99 prebeta 5 but it produced an error on the install .
I don’t use the old 98 much anymore but it’s on a small hard drive which wouldn’t be good for much else so I keep it around.
If you are still using yours on the internet Avast has an older antivirus that still updates on 98 . If you need it I can give you the version number.

[QUOTE=cholla;2602058]MooMooMooMoo , I did get Exact Audio Copy V0.99 prebeta 5 to install without any errors . It would load a CD . It would even let me select to copy uncompressed but it would only produce a Log file . It didn’t create a .wav file . So I think we both have the latest working EAC on our 98 OS’s.
I also tried a later version than Exact Audio Copy V0.99 prebeta 5 but it produced an error on the install .
I don’t use the old 98 much anymore but it’s on a small hard drive which wouldn’t be good for much else so I keep it around.
If you are still using yours on the internet Avast has an older antivirus that still updates on 98 . If you need it I can give you the version number.[/QUOTE]

Thank you! I am using just that version of Avast myself on the 98 box. Had troubles with the latest Avast on XP, but the old version is great for 98. I mostly use the 98 box for audio, which is why I was interested in trying to get newer EAC’s to work.