EAC users: a new non-caching firmware for Liteon 163 drives!

vbimport

Dell has just released a new firmware for the LITEON LTD163 drive: GDHJ.

According to Dell : “This firmware allows the Lite On 16X DVD ROM drive to read multisession DVD +R media”

I have tested it and on top of being a nice all round firmware it’s NOT caching audio data! Making it by far the most recent non caching firmware for this drive. I’m getting average 25x in secure mode over a whole cd :cool:

Any Liteon/Jlms 163 drive can be flashed with the binary version which can be downloaded from my binaries page using MtkWinFlash (in Windows) or Mtkflash (in DOS).

It will make the drive recognized as: LITEON DVD-ROM LTD163, firmware version GDHJ.

P.S: It is not meant for the 163D drives. It will work but I’m not crazy about the idea.

I assume this doesn’t work on a 166S?

Originally posted by Namoh
I assume this doesn’t work on a 166S?

No, it doesn’t.

Thank you Digi! Another nice region-free and non-caching firmware update for my 163.

im still trying to find a 163D latest firmware with no Catcheing AHHH :frowning:

I´ve upgraded mi 163´s firmware and when I run Nero infoTool, it shows that mi DVD doesn´t support DVD+R…

Originally posted by escalant
I´ve upgraded mi 163´s firmware and when I run Nero infoTool, it shows that mi DVD doesn´t support DVD+R…

AFAIK it never did!!!

But in the web it saids that this firmware supports DVD+R :expressionless:

NeroInfoTool can only report what the drive reports it can do, so you have to take this info with a big pinch of salt.

“The proof of the pudding is in the eating” try a dvd+R and see :wink:

Dell published this upgrade specially saying:
“This firmware allows the Lite On 16X DVD ROM drive to read multisession DVD+R media” - I tend to believe them.

Oh, that is good news for me… :smiley:

I upgraded to the Dell firmware and I notice the burst rate on the drive according to CDSpeed is only 1mb/sec while the JLMS most recent firmware GH5S I get 21mb/sec burst rate… Am I correct in assuming this is because the caching helps data transfer rate but for EAC purposes it slows down the drive? If so I can just use my 52246S to do most my reading of data discs as the burst rate on this is also about 22mb/sec and the speed increase of non cacheing of the audio is far greater than the slowdown i get while reading data discs in the drive when installing or copying files…

The burst rate test of CDSpeed is ONLY for SCSI drives. I wish Erik would have made it greyed-out of disappear when it detects an ATAPI drive. The “results” it gives for IDE/ATAPI drives are meaningless.

Another point to keep in mind is that this firmware makes the drive not cache AUDIO data. It still caches ordinary data, like all firmware versions do.

My 163 plays DVD+R and DVD+RW back without problems so Nero info tool is talking out of its arse

EDIT:
And thats using GH5S

Let me to make this clear (again):

• Nero InfoTool reports what the drive (the firmware) tells it can do.
  • Firmware sometimes reports things it can’t do and sometimes ommits to report things it can do.

All 163. 165 and 166 drives are supposed to read DVD+R and DVD+RW. At least with a reasonably recent firmware.
:cool:

Make it clear :confused:

You only just admitted to tending to believe the Dell firmware let the drive read DVD+ media LOL.

Originally posted by I Have Piles
Make it clear :confused:

You only just admitted to tending to believe the Dell firmware let the drive read DVD+ media LOL.

So I obviously failed to make it clear.

1. I never tried to contradict what you said.
  2. I do believe Dell’s firmware allows the drive to read DVD+R regardless of what Nero InfoTool says.

Is that better?
:bigsmile: