EAC sync and read errors at end of discs

vbimport

Hello all, first post here. I just received a new Asus DRW-24B1ST with firmware 1.05 c. Previously I have been ripping my entire CD collection to FLAC with my laptop, which I needed to leave at work. Now, I am continuing where I left off.

For some reason, on about 1/3 of my CDs, I get read and sync errors with EAC at the end of the CDs. I am using Accurate Stream, and I am not using caching or C2 error correction. I am sure this is an issue with the drive since all of the CDs I have issues with are pretty darn clean, with barely any significant scratches.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? Or should I get a new drive?

While knowing you get an exact copy is “nice”…

it REALLY important to your listening pleasure?

At what point does “precision” become “Obsessive Compulsive”?

Don’t get me wrong, there was a time when I had the same worry.
And I fretted over it a bit because I didn’t know why.

But after a while I only saved as wav the CD’s that gave me major fits ripping.

Then I got a new optical drive and started rescanning many of my problem discs
and simply didn’t have problems with >80% of them…

So on THOSE rescanned CD’s I created new mp3’s for playback, deleted the archived WAVS for those CD’s and ceased worrying about it.

IF there’s an error I can HEAR it’s worth worrying about, if not… why worry?

AD

I definitely see your point. I will just deal with it and make sure that there are no audible errors.

But just as an aside, do you or does anyone actually know the cause of this? Is it a firmware bug or maybe even EAC problem? My techie side is curious!

Probably it will be useless, but I think that is worth to run memtest in your computer. If there are issues in RAM, this can cause errors everywhere.

To exclude the drive as cause of this, can you try the same “problematic” CDs with a different drive? Maybe you can ask a friend to borrow a drive to run a quick test in your computer :slight_smile:

I’m not sure how much can cause issues, but it is easy to check too: try a new cable to connect the drive to mainboard.

Hi,

are these failing discs copy protected by chance?
Could be indeed the drive that has problems with these discs. DAE is no longer on the agenda of ODD manufacturers, so they don’t really mind.

My favourites would be NEC based Optiarc drives and LG with Renesas chipset (Yes, i know of the NEC-Renesas merger :slight_smile: )

Michael

Ran memtest, everything was fine (no surprise there).

Mciahel,

How can I check if the discs are copy-protected? Is there some software that can detect it?

Interestingly, on one of the discs that the issue occured on, I noticed that it did not occur in the exact same place. It was always on either the last or second to last track, so I assumed this was NOT a disc read error.

After about 4 or 5 attempts with errors, I finally got a full rip without any errors. It seems I just have to try very hard and it will eventually work. What could the problem be, then?

[QUOTE=freechus9;2634036]
How can I check if the discs are copy-protected? Is there some software that can detect it?[/QUOTE]I am not aware of a reliable detection software. You may have a good look onto the box. Perhaps you can find some logo there. Start here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copy_protection#Copy_protection_for_audio_CDs

Michael

[QUOTE=freechus9;2633877]I definitely see your point. I will just deal with it and make sure that there are no audible errors.

But just as an aside, do you or does anyone actually know the cause of this? Is it a firmware bug or maybe even EAC problem? My techie side is curious![/QUOTE]

I have a medium sized stack of audio CDs that refuse to rip without EAC claiming errors, but they sound fine…

funny thing it’s often tracks with “special effects”, certain Nine Inch Nails CD’s… seem to generate multiple “Suspicious positions”

After fighting this issue for a while and hearing no difference I
simply declaired victory and moved on.

interestingly when I replaced my LG drive with my new Sony optical drive I re-sipped that
entire stack of CD’s and found tha tthe Sony Drive would rear about 2/3 of the discs that the LG drive would not.