EAC or clone

vbimport

Which method would be the preferred, clonecd with the audio profile (set to best) to copy an audio cd, or using EAC to rip it and burn it? i’m thinking that EAC would rip it at better quality and plus u can upload cd text from the freedb server to fill in the informartion for the cd?

thanks

It depends on the condition of the cd, whether it is copy protected or not, if copy protected whether EAC can extract all the audio tracks, whether the original cd already has cd-text and whether you want cd-text anyway.

Essentially, you should only use ccd if-

a) the cd is in very good condition and either has cd-text already or you don’t want to include cd-text on the copy; or

b) the cd is copy protected and you are unable to rip all the audio tracks with eac (happens sometimes).

If the cd is in poor condition, you should rip with EAC (or other ripper of your choice) and re-master (with or without cd-text).

[Note: If the cd is in good condition there is no need to set audio to best (slowest) in ccd. The audio quality will be the same irrespective of the setting. It’s only if the cd is in poor condition that that setting will make any difference but if it’s in poor condition, you should, if possible, rip and re-master in any event.]

There’s no reason to use CloneCD to make audio copies, unless CD is protected.
It’s not more exact than or better than other burning programs, and in fact a bad configuration can have bad effects: CloneCD can accept bad sectors and then burn them, something THAT SHOULD NEVER USED WITH AUDIO DISCS.

All difficult sectors in an audio CD should be retried until there’s no hope. And there should be no bad sector in the copy.
If you want better speed than EAC, then use Feurio, burnatonce, CDEx, burrrn, Nero, anything before CloneCD.

Actually, that’s the only time I ever use it to make audio copies and then only if both cdex and discjuggler fail to extract all audio tracks because of the protection (rare but has happened occasionally).

Even then, I extract all the tracks that I can digitally and only then make a ccd image, mount the image on a virtual drive and then extract the remaining track(s) from the mounted image.

All difficult sectors in an audio CD should be retried until there’s no hope. And there should be no bad sector in the copy.

True but if the cd is so badly damaged that they can’t be extracted at all, ccd can often make a usable (though not great) copy. Mind you, a better altenative in those circumstances (and I’m talking about really badly damaged discs now) is to read with either ccd with cue or with discdump and burn the image with fireburner in sao cooked mode (which, whilst hardly perfect, will at least repair the bad sectors on the copy).

I’ve had some badly damaged CDs that allowed me to drag *.cda files over in Nero.

The bad tracks had to be played/recorded in Cool Edit Pro, saved as *.wav files and then dragged over in Nero.

Some tracks that were unable to be played by Cool Edit Pro’s CD Player had to be played in my home stereo, routed through my home stereo, levels set via my cassette deck and then ported to my sound card to be recorded as *.wav files in Cool Edit Pro and then dragged over into Nero to make a new compilation.