EAC and LTD-163D

Hi there. I have the above DVD, with the region-free firmware GHR3. Now, for secure mode in EAC, I understand that you need a drive that doesn’t cache audio. As I understood it, the GHR3 firmware doesn’t cache audio, but later firmwares do. BUT, EAC reports that my drive caches audio no matter which firmware I use.

So, should I worry about the caching in secure mode, and, which firmware for this drive doesn’t cache audio, if any? Is it correct that audio caching will make secure mode pointless, and you may as well rip in burst mode? I wish someone could clear this up, it’s very confusing. I noticed a previous thread on this subject, but it degenerated into an “ECDC sucks” thread. Cheers.

Use MTKflash and use GH5E or earlier firmware from the Liteon LTD163 that doesn’t cache audio with EAC.

Originally posted by barney_1976
Is it correct that audio caching will make secure mode pointless, and you may as well rip in burst mode?

No that is not correct, if your drive caches audio data that means in your case secure ripping will be a lot slower (between every read, the audio cache has to be emptied). A drive which doesn’t cache audio data rips a lot faster in secure mode. But secure is still secure even though your drive caches audio data!

The GH5E doesn’t cache, that’s right but it’s a ltd163 firmware not 163D! You can flash it with Mtkflash but I don’t think it’s very smart.

As for GHR3, it does cache audio, the rumors that it doesn’t are wrong! In fact I don’t know of any 163D or 165 that don’t cache audio data.

As for the secure mode: If you cheat and don’t check the “drive caches audio” box while your drive in fact does, then you’re cheating yourself and might indeed use burst. If you check that box you do get true secure mode, but slow. EAC empties the cache after it reads each sector, and that takes time.

Barney, I’m sorry my thread is taking a wrong direction now, I wish you’ve joined it and help straighten it up :wink:

I think this subject should seriously interest any EAC user. My own opinion is that it’s time for a new secure mode! The one we have now is not the first one either.

Originally posted by Mango
My own opinion is that it’s time for a new secure mode! The one we have now is not the first one either.

What do you mean? The audio cache cannot be bypassed by software, except by overreading it…

The first secure mode of EAC has worked totally different than the present one, and maybe there’s a better way still.

There might be a way to have a different secure mode. A secure mode that takes advantage of the buffer instead of fighting with it. I don’t know how but I do know that this buffer helps the LiteOn with it’s own audio error correction.

Originally posted by Mango
[B].

As for GHR3, it does cache audio, the rumors that it doesn’t are wrong! In fact I don’t know of any 163D or 165 that don’t cache audio data.

[/B]

Mango, I got the fixed GHR3 firmware from your site, nice one! In what way is this firmware considered better from an audio point of view? Do later firmwares have better performance in other areas? Thanks.