EA relaxes SecuROM restrictions after major outcry

vbimport

I just posted the article EA relaxes SecuROM restrictions after major outcry.

Last week, gamers got rather angry when they found out that EA is implementing the controversial SecuROM DRM system in their upcoming PC games such as Mass Effect and Spore. EA’s plan…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/14629-EA-relaxes-SecuROM-restrictions-after-major-outcry.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/14629-EA-relaxes-SecuROM-restrictions-after-major-outcry.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

When I’m not sleeping with super-sexy lingerie models, I like to play video games. My opinion is that these DRM restrictions just annoy the people who actually bought the game. Since I get all my games via peer-to-peer, DRM doesn’t affect me. Sure, I can’t play on-line on an authorized server, but I’m sure if I looked hard enough I could find an unauthorized server. I guess what I’m trying to say here is that I really like lingerie models. :slight_smile:
This message was edited at: 12-05-2008 17:54

Well… I actually buy the games I play, but I will NEVER buy a game that does not allow me to re-install more than 3 times. When I buy a game then it is MINE - and I don’t want ANYONE to control how I play it.

Damn right. If you buy it it is yours! Don’t believe their lies saying “you only own the physical media, we own whats on it, we can change terms at any time, you have no rights, we have absolute power”. E.A SUX! It’s in the game. F!@# them.

I won’t ever again pay for an EA game. EA SUX!! And they’ve annoyed me for the last time. I’ve wasted too much money on their inferior products, and then been treated like a criminal, to ever pay them again. When are game makers going to realize all this DRM carp is useless and they’d be better off spending time and money making the games WORTH buying? How about some new features and content that actually make my experience more enjoyable? “Nope, you’re all criminals and we’d never make any money if we didn’t spend millions in a futile effort to stop piracy.” Idiots.
This message was edited at: 12-05-2008 22:23

I think guys you never read you EULA - you NEVER BUY software (well almost never) you buy disk and LICENSE to use it. So legally you not own the game you buy. But I agree with other comments :slight_smile:

Very simple: I do not buy products requiring online activation. So I will not buy these games. I vote with my wallet.

“I think guys you never read you EULA - you NEVER BUY software (well almost never) you buy disk and LICENSE to use it. So legally you not own the game you buy.” So why in the heck do I have to pay sales tax then?

I agree with all of the above posters, but the main reason they are implementing this system, is to stop the secondhand trade business. (as they are greedy)

Chuckwagon wrote “I won’t ever again pay for an EA game. EA SUX!! And they’ve annoyed me for the last time.” Calm down!!!Calm down!!!..Why should EA allow people like you to download their games via bittorrent? If you want it Buy it…Cheapskate. :d

I usually only recommend people download no cd/dvd patches so you don’t need to lug your optical disc around if you travel as much as I do, but now people that buy these titles used (I’ve seen plenty of PC games @ Pawn Shops) are pretty much going to REQUIRE it. Hopefully the previous owner will write down the necessary info for the next buyer. :slight_smile:

I refuse to pay $60 for a game I don’t actually own. Where else in business does that happen? You buy a car, it’s your car. You buy a house, it’s your house. You buy magazines where the women are tied up and beaten, you’re a perv. :+

micro$oft wrote: "Calm down!!!Calm down!!!..Why should EA allow people like you to download their games via bittorrent? If you want it Buy it…Cheapskate. " Cheapskate? Blome! I’ve PAID for too many of EA’s carp products only to have the usless DRM and other issues interfere with my ability to use what I PAID for. The saddest part is that the pirate community gets the products functioning in spite of the DRM, so only the paid legal customers are harmed. I’m sick of companies and idiots like you assuming I downloaded the product. If I had, instead of wasting my money, I wouldn’t have had all the problems. So it isn’t about being cheap. It’s about being tired of getting screwed and treated like a criminal. So I choose to vote with my wallet, and I won’t be wasting any more money on EA products ever again.

The point is that EA is only punishing their legitimate customers. Pirates will have a cracked version and not be bothered with DRM. It is EA policy to give their legitimate customers a less desirable product than the one pirates get. So, knowing that, which do you want to be?