E-Mails From "DVDfab"?

Just got one, announcing v8032. First one I’ve had from them since I bought the product. To unsubscribe, click in the e-mail on a link, tqaking you to what does look like DVDfab’s site. Necessity to put in the e-mail you registered with, and password. Crappy 4 digit verification graphic.

Site does not accept the data. Nor does using their routine to obtain your password work. Since I have copies of every purchase I have made, I know the registering e-mail address is accurate, at a minimum.

Is this a scam, or is DVDfab login process totally screwed up? A honeypot?

Hard to tell without seeing it but that sounds dodgy to me.

If it is a scam then they’re probably trying to obtain your log in details, that they can then use to get your registration key.

So as a precaution you might be best going to the real page below and changing your details ASAP.

http://www.dvdfab.com/member.htm

Better safe than sorry. :wink:

[B]Wombler[/B]

It is exactly the same page. So either DVDfab’s site has been taken over, or the user/customer login routine isn’t working.

Of course, it could be me, but with copies of the e-mail showing what e-mail address that I used to make the purchase, there’s obviously something wrong.

Any way of getting hold of Fengtao, to check?

I’d already contacted them on your behalf but am still waiting for a reply.

If you’re certain it’s the same web address and not a replica then it’s genuine.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Strange but I also received the same email the other day, I just deleted it because
I already had the newest version 8.0.3.2 installed.

I’m not all that sure about this but it seems like I remember receiving one of the same
kind of emails from DVDFab a few years ago too.

I didn’t try to go to the site or anything as even back then I had the newest version of
DVDFab installed already just like now so I just hit the delete button. :iagree:

[QUOTE=getit29;2555423]Strange but I also received the same email the other day, I just deleted it because
I already had the newest version 8.0.3.2 installed.

I’m not all that sure about this but it seems like I remember receiving one of the same
kind of emails from DVDFab a few years ago too.

I didn’t try to go to the site or anything as even back then I had the newest version of
DVDFab installed already just like now so I just hit the delete button. :iagree:[/QUOTE]

It may well be genuine but that’s an odd way of doing things.

Emails with direct links to log in screens are in my mind inherently suspicious which is why banks and other such organisations make it very clear that they’ll never ever send their customers genuine emails like this.

I’ve seen spoofed websites in the past that have copied the HTML from the genuine site and look absolutely identical to the real thing.

If cloaked URLs are used then it will also appear as the genuine web address in your browser.

So if there’s any uncertainty I think it’s best to avoid any risk by going to the proper site (either via bookmarks or a search) and then logging in.

[B]Wombler[/B]

I too received the notice which I have deleted without clicking on any link, I would not be so cautious but since v8032 has been out already for some time now just can’t see them sending it out this late :disagree:

Always go to the website manually if you are going to log in, if you click on a link in an email you could activate a key logger and if someone gets your login info they could download your reg key thus getting black-listed :eek:

Just my .02 cents :bigsmile:

[B]SJ[/B]

In this case they are legit, they will be sent out to registered users for each Official Release and perhaps for other purposes such as new product announcements, etc. I agree with the cautions about emailed links that the others have posted, you never know where they may lead, but in this particular case all is well.

Thanks signals

But I for one will keep getting get my updates here.

[QUOTE=bean55;2555584]
But I for one will keep getting get my updates here.[/QUOTE]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
100% agree and the same thing here also. :iagree:

[QUOTE=signals;2555566]In this case they are legit, they will be sent out to registered users for each Official Release and perhaps for other purposes such as new product announcements, etc. I agree with the cautions about emailed links that the others have posted, you never know where they may lead, but in this particular case all is well.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for officially confirming that signals. :flower:

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=signals;2555566]In this case they are legit, they will be sent out to registered users for each Official Release and perhaps for other purposes such as new product announcements, etc. [B]I agree with the cautions about emailed links that the others have posted, you never know where they may lead,[/B] but in this particular case all is well.[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear it was letgit :cool:

Yeah I never use links in emails :slight_smile:

[B]SJ[/B]

Well, I believe that DVDFAB’s website definitely has a problem. I can’t login, at the member page, using the e-mail address (that I purchased the product with, and to which they sent me three days ago an e-mail about 8032 availability, which set this whole thread off), and password.

Now, I can imagine a scenario where I forget my password. So, I tried their “forgot your password” routine, and it bombs out with “validation error, please retry”, or some crap like that.

As I said above, the e-mail address is absolutely certain … how else would they know where to send the 8032 e-mail? I also have a copy of the 2007 Avangate e-mail, so I know for sure! And, after doing the “forgot your password” routine maybe 10 times (to make sure I wasn’t making a mistake putting in the validation number) I’ve come to the conclusion that THEY have a problem, not me.

So I used their “contact us” form. Amazingly, the picture/number I keyed in, took! Well, it did thank me, so I’m assuming it went to them. So I can only assume that (at least) the forgot password" routine is using the wrong picture/number to validate.

I tried these steps in both Win7 and openSuse. Anybody also want to try the “forgot my password” routine at DVDFAB? And/or,try to login to your account at DVDFAB?

[QUOTE=burpnrun;2555797]Well, I believe that DVDFAB’s website definitely has a problem. I can’t login, at the member page, using the e-mail address (that I purchased the product with, and to which they sent me three days ago an e-mail about 8032 availability, which set this whole thread off), and password.

Now, I can imagine a scenario where I forget my password. So, I tried their “forgot your password” routine, and it bombs out with “validation error, please retry”, or some crap like that.

As I said above, the e-mail address is absolutely certain … how else would they know where to send the 8032 e-mail? I also have a copy of the 2007 Avangate e-mail, so I know for sure! And, after doing the “forgot your password” routine maybe 10 times (to make sure I wasn’t making a mistake putting in the validation number) I’ve come to the conclusion that THEY have a problem, not me.

So I used their “contact us” form. Amazingly, the picture/number I keyed in, took! Well, it did thank me, so I’m assuming it went to them. So I can only assume that (at least) the forgot password" routine is using the wrong picture/number to validate.

I tried these steps in both Win7 and openSuse. Anybody also want to try the “forgot my password” routine at DVDFAB? And/or,try to login to your account at DVDFAB?[/QUOTE]

I just tried the “Foregot password” and had no trouble at all getting an email sent to me with…“Please click the link bellow to reset your password” message so I see nothing wrong :disagree:

Just went to the site and I had no problems with logging in. :confused: :confused:

[QUOTE=getit29;2555850]Just went to the site and I had no problems with logging in. :confused: :confused:[/QUOTE]

Same here no trouble at all :slight_smile:

@burpnrun

Perhaps it’s a browser related problem?

Try accessing it with another browser and see if that makes any difference.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Thanks to all. Just received an e-mail from the “DVDfab Support Team” indicating they had fixed my account. Had to reset the pw, which worked, plus the subsequent login, which also worked.

@Wombler: Yeah, I have FF & Konq on Linux (both failed), and FF & IE8 on Win7 also failed. So I knew I had a non-browser (or OS)-specific problem.

Again, thanks to all. Can consider “resolved”.

[QUOTE=burpnrun;2555940]Thanks to all. Just received an e-mail from the “DVDfab Support Team” indicating they had fixed my account. Had to reset the pw, which worked, plus the subsequent login, which also worked.

@Wombler: Yeah, I have FF & Konq on Linux (both failed), and FF & IE8 on Win7 also failed. So I knew I had a non-browser (or OS)-specific problem.

Again, thanks to all. Can consider “resolved”.[/QUOTE]

No problem burpnrun and glad to hear your sorted. :iagree:

[B]Wombler[/B]