Dysan and Prodisc cdrs?

Hi all!

My first post here. Iv recently brought a very good cd player and finding out about burning CD-Rs. I use Nero to find the manufacturer. Iv used TDK/Imation/Whitcoulls cd-rs and the manufacturers were Ritek/SMC/Plasmon. Iv also tried SKC. Never heard Plasmon ones before though?

I found these Dysan cds ( http://www.cdr-forum.de/detailcdr_e.php?ID=1819 ) and they were kinda cheap here in NZ from Sounds Music. They used Prodisk. They are meant to be good? So as long as it uses Prodisk does it matter if it says Dysan etc?

So its either Dysan (prodisk) or Vertbatim (they are a lot more exp here. THanks for feedback

Just another quick question with Nero CD-DVD Speed program. If you test a disc on say 8x speed how do you know if its good or not? Is there a page on this? thnx!

Hi [B]JonnoNZ[/B], welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

[quote=JonnoNZ;1920787]Just another quick question with Nero CD-DVD Speed program. If you test a disc on say 8x speed how do you know if its good or not? Is there a page on this? thnx![/quote] Depending on whether you want to test DVDs or CDs, I suggest you start by reading the beginning of one of these threads:

Interpreting PI/PO error scans (for DVDs)

Interpreting C1/C2 error scans (for CDs)

[quote=DrageMester;1920811]Hi [B]JonnoNZ[/B], welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

Depending on whether you want to test DVDs or CDs, I suggest you start by reading the beginning of one of these threads:

Interpreting PI/PO error scans (for DVDs)

Interpreting C1/C2 error scans (for CDs)[/quote]

Thanks iv read the link very helpful! My Dysans with Prodisc has no c2 errors and 24 average c1. The other ones had lots of c2 errors so explains that. When using Nero to anaylis the disc, does the cdr need to be blank or full or either?

[QUOTE=JonnoNZ;1921164]Thanks iv read the link very helpful! My Dysans with Prodisc has no c2 errors and 24 average c1. The other ones had lots of c2 errors so explains that. When using Nero to anaylis the disc, does the cdr need to be blank or full or either?[/QUOTE]

If you’re using Nero CDspeed to check quality or readability you need to use a burnt disc.

Thanks again. One last question … what does the speed setting on Nero mean? eg 8x or 16x? Do you select the one that you burnt the disc with?

[quote=JonnoNZ;1921533]Thanks again. One last question … what does the speed setting on Nero mean? eg 8x or 16x? Do you select the one that you burnt the disc with?[/quote] The speed setting determines the scanning speed. It should not be set according to the burning speed, but rather according to which drive you use for scanning and possibly dependent on your experience with testing.

Suggested DVD scanning speed for LiteOn, Samsung and BenQ DW18**/20** drives: 4x

Suggested DVD scanning speed for BenQ DW16** drives: 8x

Suggested CD scanning speed with most drives: 32x

[quote=DrageMester;1921539]The speed setting determines the scanning speed. It should not be set according to the burning speed, but rather according to which drive you use for scanning and possibly dependent on your experience with testing.

Suggested DVD scanning speed for LiteOn, Samsung and BenQ DW18**/20** drives: 4x

Suggested DVD scanning speed for BenQ DW16** drives: 8x

Suggested CD scanning speed with most drives: 32x[/quote]

Thanks again!

Im spinning a CD-R but on a DVD Drive (Imation 16x DVD - IMW16DL84RAME 7S14).

I think with Nero InfoTool its max is 48x max read/write.

I Did a scan on 32x. I think this is pretty good?

General Information
Drive: Imation IMW16DL84RAME
Firmware: 7SI4
Disc: Audio CD (Prodisc)
Selected speed: 32 X
C1 errors
Maximum: 20
Average: 1.18
Total: 3555
C2 errors
Maximum: 0
Average: 0.00
Total: 0
Jitter: n/a
Scanning Statistics
Elapsed time: 2:28
Number of samples: 3012
Average scanning interval: 1.00 sec
Glitches removed: 0

[quote=JonnoNZ;1921583]Im spinning a CD-R but on a DVD Drive (Imation 16x DVD - IMW16DL84RAME 7S14).

I Did a scan on 32x. I think this is pretty good?

C1 errors
Maximum: 20
Average: 1.18
Total: 3555
C2 errors
Maximum: 0
Average: 0.00
Total: 0[/quote] I’m not familiar with that scanning drive. If it’s a reasonable scanner then the reported values are very good.

Posting an actual screenshot of the scan is much preferred as it contains much more information than just the max/avg/total numbers.

[quote=DrageMester;1921588]I’m not familiar with that scanning drive. If it’s a reasonable scanner then the reported values are very good.

Posting an actual screenshot of the scan is much preferred as it contains much more information than just the max/avg/total numbers.[/quote]

Just did a scan with an Imation CD-R CMC Mag is the manufacturer. I think with my drive if you go 32x it makes it look better then it really is? Cos this disc has not many errors at this speed.

Here is screan shot hopefully…

Next trime try saving your screenshot in PNG format which is much better than JPG for this sort of thing.

You can also attach images directly in the post without uploading to other sites first:

How to attach disc quality scans to your post

[quote=DrageMester;1921588]I’m not familiar with that scanning drive. If it’s a reasonable scanner then the reported values are very good.

Posting an actual screenshot of the scan is much preferred as it contains much more information than just the max/avg/total numbers.[/quote]

Here is a different Imation CD CMC Mags, done at 8x speed. I know i shud have used the same cd… but it shows way more c1/c2 errors. The Prodisc earlier still showed up pretty good at the 8x scan. So is it maybe best to use lower speed scan on this drive?

Sorry all the Q’s im new to this!

[quote=JonnoNZ;1921617]Here is a different Imation CD CMC Mags, done at 8x speed. I know i shud have used the same cd… but it shows way more c1/c2 errors. The Prodisc earlier still showed up pretty good at the 8x scan. So is it maybe best to use lower speed scan on this drive?[/quote] If you want to test the scanning behaviour of your drive at different scanning speeds, you definitely need to use the same CD for the comparisons.

Ok Iv got 2x scans one at 32x speed one at 8x speed. Disc is Imation. It shows the slower speed shows more errors? At high speed all discs are showing up as good quality. What speed is best for my drive to test different cdrs? Thanks

I’ll do a couple tests with the Prodisc and see how they compare…

Iv done about 6 cds both on 8x/32x speeds. Sometimes the cd can be very good at 32x and poor at 8x, but sometimes its the same for both scans. With a Ritek cd, one was very good the other was shocking … attached… These ones are TDK cds, which sounded poor with errors when playin on some tracks.

Any feedback on the best scan speed?

Anyone know?

I’m not familiar with your scanning drive, but judging by your scans it doesn’t look like a reliable scanner for CDs; there’s too much variation between 8x and 32x scans, and the second scan shows large areas without any C1 errors which is virtually impossible (and could mean that it only reports E31 as C1 errors).

on the 8x speed though it shows continuous c1 errors and c2 errors with some discs. Its just because the scale on the graph has become so big on some of the scans that it doesnt show all the c1 errors at 32x speed I think? Maybe I shud just use the Prodisc and hope for the best… They never get errors or skips on my Naim cd player, unlike the TDK/Imation/others. Tho SKC work good 4 me.

Here is 2 similar scans with the Dysan/Prodisc. The scale is different so the graphs different…

And heres the 32x one. I think the 48x one is too fast??