Dynamic disk vs. basic disk

I was getting ready to make a backup of my system with Paragon Drive Backup 6.0. The program will not operate with Dymamic disks. What is the difference between dynamic and basic disks? Is one prefered over the other for different applications? Mine is running smooth now with dynamic disks
and hate to mess it up. Also is there anyway to convert between the two?

its same as primary and logical partions i suppose…
heres how it is…
A disk can have only 4 primary partitions if you plan to add more partitions u have to create a logical partition within which u can create more partition.By default all windows versions create logical partitions when u partition during set up so i recommend partition before u install windows or u can convert it later also.
Here’s my configuration
1:Primary(WIN98)
2:PrimaryWINXP
3:Primary
4:Logical A)1st Partition
B)2nd Partiton
C)3rd Partition and so on
u can use partiton magic to convert the partitions back and forth…
Hope this helps

Originally posted by pankaj_xyz
its same as primary and logical partions i suppose…
heres how it is…
A disk can have only 4 primary partitions if you plan to add more partitions u have to create a logical partition within which u can create more partition.By default all windows versions create logical partitions when u partition during set up so i recommend partition before u install windows or u can convert it later also.
Here’s my configuration
1:Primary(WIN98)
2:PrimaryWINXP
3:Primary
4:Logical A)1st Partition
B)2nd Partiton
C)3rd Partition and so on
u can use partiton magic to convert the partitions back and forth…
Hope this helps

Dynamic and basic are not the same as primary and logical. And after my reading last night I think it is impossible to revert to basic from dynamic. I checked with partition magic also and it seems as though partitioning and other hard drive software allow you to acomplish what having a dynamic disk setup does with the partitions. I have checked with Paragon software and Powerquest and neither support dynamic disks. I was hoping to create a image of my setup as it is now in case of a system failure at a critical time. But I think I am going to reformat my drive now while I have time, revert to basic disk, try to get the same setup I have make sure it is running good and then make a backup.

dynamic discs are used by windows xp so u can create software controlled raid and to make it (supposedly) easier to manage and change your partitions, i think the only way to get rid of them is to reformat the whole drive :confused: