Dying Sh-S203B

I’ve been having some problems with my 203B not closing disks properly in ImgBurn. I also made an audio cd with Nero and had lots of errors. So today I tried to burn a dvd video using ImgBurn and the device buffer was swinging wildly back and forth from 9% to 90% and the drive would not burn faster than 2.4x. I had it set to burn at 8x.

Can’t handle 2.4x burn speeds, so I’m set to RMA this thing back to Newegg. I’ve checked status of the upper and lower filters and can’t see anything unusual Firmware has been updated to the latest version, so I can’t see reflashing helping anything. Connectors are solidly attached.
Anything I’ve missed?

I’ve had problems in both my XP and Vista partitions, so I don’t think it has anything to do with software, but I could be wrong. Let me know if there is anything else to check before I send this drive back.

Thanks guys.

Hi :slight_smile:
You say that reflashing won’t do any good. But if like other MediaTek chip based drives there is some aspect of learning. This could have an effect.
Certainly worth it IMHO.

Hi,[QUOTE=Kerry56;1940211]I’ve been having some problems with my 203B not closing disks properly in ImgBurn. I also made an audio cd with Nero and had lots of errors. So today I tried to burn a dvd video using ImgBurn and the device buffer was swinging wildly back and forth from 9% to 90% and the drive would not burn faster than 2.4x. (…)[/QUOTE]Possibly some controller issue? Could you please tell us, what controller you are useing for your drive, and how it is configured in BIOS?

Michael

Hi Kerry do you remember the thread you had and LUK was helping you and i posted i had this same problem in that thread? Well anyway i cured my problem by loading a good image and all is good now but i have no idea what causes this.

Also if you think it is the drive then try to put it in another pc if possible.

Thanks for the replies guys. Don’t have much time to talk—off to work, but will give some more info.

Controller on my main pc is Intel ICH9, and the drive is set as normal SATA—no raid controller on my motherboard.

Backup machine is an Asus A8NE and the drive is not behaving normally there either. Which leads me to believe there is something seriously wrong with the drive. Good image rolling? Don’t think I understand. Unless you mean you overwrote the entire operating system with a backup image.

Anyway, I’ve got no time to mess with it right now. Pulled, rma approved, and it is going out the door. Appreciate the replies, but this week is going to be frantic and I don’t want to deal with this at the moment. Just thought there might be something truly obvious I missed, till I tried it in the second machine.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;1940224]Good image rolling? Don’t think I understand. Unless you mean you overwrote the entire operating system with a backup image.[/QUOTE]Yes i over wrote my OS with a good backup image. Good luck.

Hi,[QUOTE=Kerry56;1940224]
Controller on my main pc is Intel ICH9, and the drive is set as normal SATA—no raid controller on my motherboard.

Backup machine is an Asus A8NE and the drive is not behaving normally there either. Which leads me to believe there is something seriously wrong with the drive. [/QUOTE]I agree :iagree: Time for a RMA then.

EDIT: you did already…

Michael

Kerry did you get your replacement yet?

[QUOTE=rolling56;1946848]Kerry did you get your replacement yet?[/QUOTE]hmmmm no replacement yet. NE must be busy.

Hello Kerry did you get your replacement yet even?

I am sorry, that I never saw this thread before, but the last & only time ImgBurn acted like you describe on me, something had dumped me into PIO Mode. I never had 2 OSs then just 32.

I wonder which media Kerry56 had used??

Can someone please mention if they know a fix for this? I am having this exact same problem in Windows XP Pro. Intel MB as well. Here is a copy and paste of the properties in IMGBurn, I tried a couple different medias and got the same 2.4x burning speed and wildly going back and forth cache during the burn.

TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203B SB01 (ATA)
Current Profile: DVD+R

Disc Information:
Erasable: No
Free Sectors: 2,295,104
Free Space: 4,700,372,992 bytes
Free Time: 510:03:29 (MM:SS:FF)
Supported Write Speeds: 4x, 6x, 8x, 12x

Physical Format Information (ADIP):
Disc ID: YUDEN000-T02-00
Book Type: DVD+R
Part Version: 1
Disc Size: 120mm
Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
Number of Layers: 1
Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)
Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit
Track Density: 0.74 um/track
First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 2,491,711
Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
Disc ID: YUDEN000-T02-00
Book Type: DVD+R
Part Version: 1
Disc Size: 120mm
Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
Number of Layers: 1
Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)
Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit
Track Density: 0.74 um/track
First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 2,491,711
Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

[QUOTE=travanx;1971769]Can someone please mention if they know a fix for this? I am having this exact same problem in Windows XP Pro. Intel MB as well. Here is a copy and paste of the properties in IMGBurn, I tried a couple different medias [B]and got the same 2.4x burning speed[/B] and wildly going back and forth cache during the burn.[/QUOTE]

Then DMA mode seems to be off, or the controller/driver is not suitable for handling this drive.

Wouldn’t going into the BIOS and seeing if DMA is set for that drive and forcing it into DMA mode work?

I will try that when I get home. I made the mistake of upgrading to a core2duo machine with a no frills Abit MB. So once I got it OC’d I didn’t pay attention to anything else. Hopefully this solves the problem. I was wondering why it took so long to burn a normal CD.

[QUOTE=Dr. Who;1971932]Wouldn’t going into the BIOS and seeing if DMA is set for that drive and forcing it into DMA mode work?[/QUOTE]

Hi,[QUOTE=travanx;1972148]I will try that when I get home. I made the mistake of upgrading to a core2duo machine with a no frills Abit MB. So once I got it OC’d I didn’t pay attention to anything else. [/quote]are you still running the system overclocked? If so, then please revert to stock settings.
Also, tell us, what chipset is used for your SATA connection, and what operating mode is set. If this is Intel or Nvidia, make sure, the SATA controllers are running in “IDE compatible” mode (unless you are running a RAID setup).

Michael

back to stock now. JMicron SATA and ICH9 on my Abit IP35-E. No RAID. How do I change the IDE compatibility mode? I am going to reformat and install windows and see what happens.

[QUOTE=mciahel;1972171]Hi,are you still running the system overclocked? If so, then please revert to stock settings.
Also, tell us, what chipset is used for your SATA connection, and what operating mode is set. If this is Intel or Nvidia, make sure, the SATA controllers are running in “IDE compatible” mode (unless you are running a RAID setup).

Michael[/QUOTE]

Normally you could change RAID to “normal” in the BIOS (mobo).

Hi,[QUOTE=travanx;1972776]back to stock now. JMicron SATA and ICH9 on my Abit IP35-E. [/quote]make sure, your drive is not connected to the Jmicron controller. Perhaps you can disable in in BIOS setup.

No RAID.
Good.
How do I change the IDE compatibility mode?
I am not familiar with these new Intel based motherboards. Normally there should be some option to configure your SATA controller with values like "IDE (or “Normal”)/AHCI/RAID or similar. Maybe there is some information about that in the manual.
I am going to reformat and install windows and see what happens.
Not yet. But maybe there is another computer you can try your drive with (No VIA SATA then, please :bigsmile:).

Michael