Dye not burned

vbimport

Hi, I got Philips DVD8631@BenQ DD DW1620 B7T9

Recently, when I want to burn something, I didn’t notice that there is some oil mark from my left hand on the written side of the disk. After the burning, it seems that BenQ cant burn the part that has the oil.

:a

The disk became unreadable. WOPC was on. Is this a hardware bug? because this was happen when I burn a CD, but the disk got a dot of dust and the drive cant burn on that part. But when I tried with my Asus CRW 5232AS, even the disk have much oil and dust, the disc was successfully burned.

ps. sorry for my bad english :bigsmile:

Heard this happen with a fingerprint, the area underneath the greasy fingerprint remained unburned, producing a very good looking copy of the fingerprint.

Ciao
Chriso

Sounds to me as though there was a spot of oil on the data side of the disk prior to it being burned in the drive. Either that or it’s bad media (??)

I’ve had this a few times with el-cheapo CDs, but I only ever use them for Audio disks for the car, so no biggie :stuck_out_tongue:

A cheap ritek disk … hardly suprising that there might have been some oil or simply a problem with the dye on that disk.

I dont think it’s the media. As far as I know, Ritek Excellent is the most expensive Ritek disc in my country. The distributor said that to me.

I also have a TY CD (Knoppix) which also unburned when I just realize that the CD has a tiny dust on the dye.

If you just touch the writing side of the disc, leave your fingerprint, just burn it, and you will have an unburned copy of your fingerprint…

It’s very cool if the data still readable… you could have a lightscribe-like feature version on the writing side of the disc

Well, of course, if there are fingerprints or oil or dust stuck to the writing surface beforehand, they will prevent the dye from being written.

Its not a problem though if you keep the disks pretty clean before burning, and it is possible to still have a working disk dispite unburnt/badly burnt areas, due to DVDs good quality error correction.

Edit: Oil may not affect CD-Rs as much because of the different wavelengths used.

Yeah very usefull to have something writen under your disk at the expense of data security… Is this a joke ?

Hmm oops, yeah missed the part about ritek as excelent…

Yeah very usefull to have something writen under your disk at the expense of data security… Is this a joke ?

Hmm oops, yeah missed the part about ritek as excelent…

what joke?

and where is the part that mention about ritek as excelent? the DVD brand is Ritek Excellent, same like … Ridata?