Dwu18a / 812S Firmware question

vbimport

Hello,

After browsing this forum, it became clear that the dwu18a I purchased last weekend is really a liteon 812S. So I went to
liteon’s website ( http://www.liteonamericas.com/us/download.htm ) and
downloaded the firmware upgrade for the 812S. After
running the upgrade software, I get the following message:

No Matched drive detected !
This utility is only for the LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-812S drive.

Detected drives 1-0-0-0 K:SONY DVD RW DW-U18A UYS1

So wazzup? Any help would be appreciated… The first DVD
butnt using this drive isn’t working so hot. Getting crc errors
on certain files, so I’m thinking a firmware upgrade is in order.

TIA,

Rick

Yes, it’s a LiteOn OEM rebadge. You should poke around the LiteOn forum. :slight_smile:

LiteOn doesn’t like people flashing its OEM rebadges with official LiteOn firmware. If you want to flash it to a LiteOn, you need to apply the FlashFix tool to the firmware that you download. Look at the LiteOn tool collection sticky in the LiteOn forum for more info.

Originally posted by code65536
Yes, it’s a LiteOn OEM rebadge. You should poke around the LiteOn forum. :slight_smile:

Thanks! That’s the fastest reply I’ve ever gotten on a forum! :slight_smile:

BTW, is this a decent drive? Or should I return it for the Sony DRU530 I was going to get?

Later…

It’s a good drive, I think. OC-Freak should be posting the CD Freaks review of the 812S very soon.

And certainly one of the benefits of it over the 530 (which is a rebranded Optorite) is the immense tweakability of the LiteOn (if you look at the tools sticky, you’ll see that there’s a lot of stuff you can do to a LiteOn, if you are brave enough to mess with the firmware).

Speaking of firmware, while you’re at it, you may be interested in trying out the new US0J firmware that got released to the community just yesterday (available right now only in a .BIN format, so you’ll have to load it into your drive using LtnFW with bootcode checked) :wink:

Originally posted by code65536
Speaking of firmware, while you’re at it, you may be interested in trying out the new US0J firmware that got released to the community just yesterday (available right now only in a .BIN format, so you’ll have to load it into your drive using LtnFW with bootcode checked) :wink:

Cool! I’ll do that (hey what’s a hundred bucks :smiley: )… hehehe just
joking. But I will try that upgrade. I love poking at hardware
(after all I was an embedded systems software engineer in another
life).

Thanks again for all your help!

Rick

hi there guys, im having some problems with my burner aswell (DW-U18A)

I just downloaded the new firmware for the liteon 812S (DR8US0J.zip), as there hasnt been any released for the DW-U18A yet. Can I flash my sony DW-U18A with the DR8US0J firmware ? What do i do ? just double click the exe file and will it flash? im a noob, so some help would be great.

Thanx heapsss guys!

Originally posted by malaka
[B]hi there guys, im having some problems with my burner aswell (DW-U18A)

I just downloaded the new firmware for the liteon 812S (DR8US0J.zip), as there hasnt been any released for the DW-U18A yet. Can I flash my sony DW-U18A with the DR8US0J firmware ? What do i do ? just double click the exe file and will it flash? im a noob, so some help would be great.

Thanx heapsss guys! [/B]

1. Get the US0J exe.
  2. Get FlashFix (see tools sticky in the LiteOn forum)
  3. “Fix” the US0J firmware (otherwise, it will refuse to flash your Sony)
  4. Flash. BE CAREFUL THAT YOU SELECT THE RIGHT DRIVE!

I’ve just got my DW-U18A and I’m trying to use it with a Mac Os X using Toast. All seems fine with Toast recognising the driver but the SPEED. It’s taken like 2 hours so far and is only half way through burning a DVD. Is this usual? I’m using Memorex 4x DVD-R. Could it be the media? Would flashing it with different firmware help? And also - can you even flash it if I’m using a Mac since the 812s updates are all exe files?

Damn Sony and their bloody stubborn insistence on using a single LED color. Otherwise, I’d tell you to look at the drive’s light color changes to see if you’re getting a lot of buffer underruns (which, at the moment, sounds like what’s happening). The problem is that your computer is unable to supply information to the drive fast enough. This is almost always not a problem with the drive or with the computer, but with some sort of system misconfiguration. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to solve this for Macs… there is a Mac-specific forum over at www.rpc1.org that you might find to be helpful (or not… I haven’t really browsed it before).